ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Behringer XR18 with X-Touch compact controller, any experience?  (Read 14543 times)

Dan Abushanab

Re: Behringer XR18 with X-Touch compact controller, any experience?
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2020, 07:53:07 PM »

Hi, I'm also looking for the program/settings to control the XR-18 with an X-Touch Compact.  Unfortunately I can't find the Behringer forum you mention below - could you post here or point me to the forum?
Brian, I posted a copy of the Xtc editor settings I used on the Behinger forum.  Let me know what if anything it does if you load it.  I'm still sorting out all the secret handshake elements of this product.

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2020, 01:53:22 PM »

The Behinger forum has been changed drastically since I posted that. I’ll see if I can recover the files and post them here.

Hi, I'm also looking for the program/settings to control the XR-18 with an X-Touch Compact.  Unfortunately I can't find the Behringer forum you mention below - could you post here or point me to the forum?

Dan Abushanab

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2020, 08:42:26 PM »

Thanks, would appreciate any help!  I have the two devices hooked together with midi cables but there's not any noticeable interaction.

The Behinger forum has been changed drastically since I posted that. I’ll see if I can recover the files and post them here.

Lou Kohley

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2020, 09:17:55 PM »

Thanks, would appreciate any help!  I have the two devices hooked together with midi cables but there's not any noticeable interaction.

The midi in and out needs to be turned on in the XR same goes for the x32.
You have to turn on the midi Rx (receive) and the Tx (transmit)
If you are using midi cables then enable on the DIN connection.

LOU

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2020, 10:17:52 AM »

I haven’t used the X-Touch Compact (XTC) lately so I am going from memory and also copy and pasting somethings that I already wrote about it. On the XR18 in the setup page the Audio/Midi tab you need to have the DIN Rx and DIN Tx selected (checked). As was mentioned already.

I have played with the XTC and the XR18 a couple of years ago and I think the way it works is very similar to the M32 that I have used the XTC with. That is why some of the text below refers to the M32.

What I have written below refers to having the XR18 hooked up to a Windows PC and running X-TOUCH Editor to set up the XTC. I think you need to be connected using the USB port on the XR18 and I think you need to not have the Midi cables connected when doing the configuration in the X-TOUCH Editor. When you are done with the configuration and have loaded it from the editor to the XR18 you will need to disconnect the USB cable from the XR18 and hook up the MIDI cables.

I assume that you have already figured it out but I just wanted to mention. As it comes from the factory the X-Touch Compact (XTC) doesn’t play too nice with the M32 (edit to add - and I assume also the XR18). I think it is set to control a DAW from the factory.

I did a factory reset to be sure I hadn’t set something wrong when I discovered that the main issue is the global channel needs to not be on 1 or 2. I turned it to off and that seems to work fine. If you set it to 1 you get a midi loop that drives the M32 and XTC crazy. If you set it to 2 then as you bring up a fader about halfway up the mute comes on. Because the mute function is on channel Midi global CH-2. I assume that you have also discovered that the factory default settings for the midi CC number for the channels is off by 1. All of the preset CC# for the faders are off by 1. Channel one should start with CC0 not CC1. So as it comes from the factory fader 1 on the XTC controls fader 2 on the M32. And so on down the line. That is because 1 is actually 0.

Some of this may be able to be set using the buttons on the XTC but I have always used the X-TOUCH Editor. On the XTC there are a bunch of different modes that it can be put in I suggest reading the manual that came with it.

The Midi implementation in the X32/M32/XR18 mixers is limited. The X-Touch Compact can do A LOT more with Midi then the mixers can. The limitation is the mixers not the X-Touch compact. I don’t have any experience using the MC (Mackie Control mode). That is another option with the XTC.

I hope this is of some help.

Dan Abushanab

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2020, 05:03:02 PM »

Thanks, Lou and Kevin.  I do have the midi enabled for DIN on the XR18 but that didn't do it... I'm guessing the issue is getting the midi channel set correctly.  I did notice that moving the faders caused things to mute.  I think my next step has to be to connect a PC to the XTC and aim to program the midi channels.  I'm still hoping Riley will find the code he already worked his way through but I can probably get pretty far with the extra advice offered so far.

If there's anything more I should be thinking about please say so - I'm really grateful for what you've offered thus far!

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2020, 09:26:11 AM »

Thanks, Lou and Kevin.  I do have the midi enabled for DIN on the XR18 but that didn't do it... I'm guessing the issue is getting the midi channel set correctly.  I did notice that moving the faders caused things to mute.  I think my next step has to be to connect a PC to the XTC and aim to program the midi channels.  I'm still hoping Riley will find the code he already worked his way through but I can probably get pretty far with the extra advice offered so far.

If there's anything more I should be thinking about please say so - I'm really grateful for what you've offered thus far!

If you send me a PM with your email address I will send you 2 files to load into the XTC (using the X-Touch editor) that should give you faders and mutes on channels 1-8 on layer A and faders and mutes on channels 9-16 on layer B. Keep in mind that the Midi capabilities of on the XR18 and the M32 and X32 are severely limited. So there isn't a lot you can control with the XTC. The XTC can control any Midi device and is very capable as long as that device has a thorough MIDI implementation. There may be other ways (like (Mackie Control MC) to get more control but I am not familiar with them. I used the XTC as a fader expansion wing (not the Wing console) to give me more faders at my fingertips when doing musical theater shows and for that usage it worked great for me. I am using the past tense because for a while I have been using 2 Midas M32 mixers so I haven't needed to use the XTC.   

I can also send you the X-Air Series Manual and on page 31 of it is the Midi implementation info that to me looks the same as the X32/M32 mixers and that will show you the things that can be controlled on the XR18 with Midi. I was going to try and paste that page here but I couldn't copy it from the PDF.

BTW were are you located? I am in the USA and if you are also I might be able to help you with a phone call.

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2020, 11:23:47 AM »

I have yet to find the text documentation I wrote. up when I made those posts to the Behringer forum and the forum itself seems to have trashed it's content from before it was revamped. I did find some screen shots of editor settings. Let me know if any of these help you out.

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2020, 11:24:28 AM »

Seems I have to do these one at a time

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2020, 11:24:55 AM »

3 of 4

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2020, 11:24:55 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 24 queries.