ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: RCF ART 745-A MK4 or yamaha dsr115 situation please read urgent  (Read 16133 times)

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
Re: RCF ART 745-A MK4 or yamaha dsr115 situation please read urgent
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2018, 12:35:42 PM »

oooops should have said i can return both jbl tops as they are only a couple of months old, and swap for any of the above with a slight extra payment.

i cant wait for the warranty reapir and would be more than happy to get my hands on a better pair of speakers, are they better though?

so which speaker will provide the best top end? i will never run them on there own. they will always be above a single or double rcf 8003mk2.

many thanks for the replies guys.

the rcf is a plastic box with some great internals or so it seems.

the yamaha dsr115 has a 7 year warranty and also good specs.

I would like to say i used a set of jbl 712 prx for years on my mobile disco rig and i absolutley loved them, i got a job recenlty in a bar where they were running a pair of yamaha dxr112 and i have to say reading these forums i was expeccting alot more from the dxr. simply no comparison on the yamaha dxr vs jbl prx range. the yamaha is one flat sounding speaker and this after many months of comparison.

i hope the dsr115 will not disapoint me in the same way the dxr112 did.

im only choosing 15" boxes so the stack looks good on the eye, ive got a couple of prx712 and they look lost ontop of the subs. even though i know they sound just as good if not better.

There is no DXR112, it is DXR12. The DSR112 is going to have exactly the same HF as the 15” model but with subs may actually sound better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2018, 12:41:21 PM »

There is no DXR112, it is DXR12. The DSR112 is going to have exactly the same HF as the 15” model but with subs may actually sound better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I have both, though I have not A-B ed them.
The crossover point is probably different and the boxes are much bigger on the DSR115, so it's likely that they sound different.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Lance Hallmark

• Tampa Bay, FL
    • Hallmark Events & Entertainment
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2018, 01:28:26 PM »

The Yamaha DSR112 would be my recommendation. Sounds better than the DSR115 as long as you are using subs. My current pick for mid priced tops. These are my go to tops when not using my JTR Noesis 3TXs.
----------------------------------------------------
Lance Hallmark
Hallmark Events & Entertainment
Chamsys, Crown, Danley, EV, JTR, Powersoft, Yamaha

Greg Harwood

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2018, 01:58:16 PM »

The Yamaha DSR112 would be my recommendation. Sounds better than the DSR115 as long as you are using subs. My current pick for mid priced tops. These are my go to tops when not using my JTR Noesis 3TXs.

^^^This^^^
Greg H.

andy foster

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2018, 08:04:26 AM »

If this the kind of reasoning you use to choose a speaker, why even ask for advice here?

I think ive explained quite clearly why i want advice and why i want 15's? ill say it again though slowly.

1. the 15" variants are available to collect immidiatley
2. i like the way they look on top of my subs, 12" vs 15" the difference is slight at best
3. i play house music, i just need it to go boom, pah, boom, pah, boom, pah ............ loud and not much else

the main question was on the compression drivers. yamaha dsr115 2" with 2" voice coil vs the RCF 745mk4 1.4" with 4" voice coil.

yeh you rattled my cage a bit with your stupid remarks, and this is my reply.

andy foster

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2018, 08:09:49 AM »

Strange logic for choosing a 15" speaker aside, IMO the RCF is JBL SRX level or above at 2/3 the weight. You just need to get over the stigma of the plastic box and be OK with the aesthetic. One downside might be service and support. It may be better where you're located, but in the USA it's a joke.

This is exactly the kind of response i was looking for. The SRX is slightly more expensive and get rave reviews and i myself have owned a srx835p previously.

yes the good fellow in the shop is saying exactly this, he knows its a plastic box and he knows its expensive, but hes telling me its so worth it.

well ill be A B'ing the DSR and the 745 in the morning folks so ill let you know, theres quite a price hike on top of the prx815w ill be returning though so i would expect the order of quality to be JBL - Yamaha - RCF.

but thats going to show in the test, many thanks

andy foster

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2018, 08:12:38 AM »

Thanks for correcting my typo, the way folk talk about the dxr12 on here and other forums you would think its the last speaker you would ever need.

anyway, the DSR112 is actually in stock so i will throw this into the mix also.

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2018, 08:39:24 AM »

I think ive explained quite clearly why i want advice and why i want 15's? ill say it again though slowly.

1. the 15" variants are available to collect immidiatley
2. i like the way they look on top of my subs, 12" vs 15" the difference is slight at best
3. i play house music, i just need it to go boom, pah, boom, pah, boom, pah ............ loud and not much else

the main question was on the compression drivers. yamaha dsr115 2" with 2" voice coil vs the RCF 745mk4 1.4" with 4" voice coil.

yeh you rattled my cage a bit with your stupid remarks, and this is my reply.

IMO, the RCF ought to be better. The 15"/1" format is doomed to failure IME, as the 1" exit driver can't reach low enough to meet a 15" cone. Some manufacturers take the crossover up to 2kHz (or higher), at which point the output from the 15" is basically a laserbeam. So you've got wide dispersion bass and lower mids, and then narrowing dispersion up to 2kHz, and then controlled dispersion from the horn (though even the horn can be variable).
If you want a 15" midbass driver, the compression driver needs to be able to handle a lower crossover point so you've got a frequency response that's smooth when you move off to one side.

1" exit HF units will do better in the 10-20kHz octave, but the sacrifice in the midrange simply isn't worth it IMO.

Given that, I'd take the RCF cabinets every time.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

andy foster

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2018, 08:59:34 AM »

IMO, the RCF ought to be better. The 15"/1" format is doomed to failure IME, as the 1" exit driver can't reach low enough to meet a 15" cone. Some manufacturers take the crossover up to 2kHz (or higher), at which point the output from the 15" is basically a laserbeam. So you've got wide dispersion bass and lower mids, and then narrowing dispersion up to 2kHz, and then controlled dispersion from the horn (though even the horn can be variable).
If you want a 15" midbass driver, the compression driver needs to be able to handle a lower crossover point so you've got a frequency response that's smooth when you move off to one side.

1" exit HF units will do better in the 10-20kHz octave, but the sacrifice in the midrange simply isn't worth it IMO.

Given that, I'd take the RCF cabinets every time.

Chris

Recently i had to choose between 4 yamaha Dxs18 vs 4 Rcf 800 mk2

the rcf was noticiably louder and 10kg lighter per sub even though the max spl was rated lower than the yamaha.

i wonder if im going to find that the rcf sounds better than the yamaha again, i will also throw in my working prx815w into the sound test.

Steve Crump

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2018, 09:37:18 AM »

Recently i had to choose between 4 yamaha Dxs18 vs 4 Rcf 800 mk2

the rcf was noticiably louder and 10kg lighter per sub even though the max spl was rated lower than the yamaha.

i wonder if im going to find that the rcf sounds better than the yamaha again, i will also throw in my working prx815w into the sound test.

If you do make time to compare, report back here and give us your opinion. All the praise that Yamaha gets here can't be wrong, but I have never actually read a direct comparison of the RCF ART or even the HD32.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 09:40:04 AM by Steve Crump »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2018, 09:37:18 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 25 queries.