ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: raw speaker moves nicely, but no audio.  (Read 5721 times)

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
Re: raw speaker moves nicely, but no audio.
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2018, 12:23:57 PM »

Which one of you should I believe?
You can believe me that the Kilomax would be an "OK" choice as a replacement for the original JBL 2044, but you can also believe Paul & David that there are better replacements  ;).

The B&C RBX100, at just a bit over the cost of the Kilomax will definitely outperform it in your small cabinets.

Art
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 03:41:19 PM by Art Welter »

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2018, 06:12:05 PM »

Re the Kilomax specs, the biggest difference is that it has a higher Qes which results in the peakier response above tuning around 70Hz and earlier rolloff you see here.

Right, the Kilomax "wants" to be in a much larger box for nominally flat response, WinISD defaults to 23 cu/ft for it initially. If it is crammed into a much smaller box the response goes a bit wonky as David described. Is it usable? Yes certainly but it can only handle about 800w before exceeding xmax because of it's heavy cone and there are better options out there now like the B&C RBX or even the older TBX.

duane massey

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2018, 12:14:09 AM »

I have used the Eminence Impero in my last few projects, and have been very pleased with them. I was never particularly pleased with the Kilomax, had better luck back then with the Omega Pro.
Understand that I am a "seat of the pants" builder, my satisfaction (and that of my clients) has always been subjective.
Anyone want to run the simulation on the Impero?
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

David Morison

• SR Forums
  • Aberdeen, Scotland
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2018, 03:59:49 AM »

I have used the Eminence Impero in my last few projects, and have been very pleased with them. I was never particularly pleased with the Kilomax, had better luck back then with the Omega Pro.
Understand that I am a "seat of the pants" builder, my satisfaction (and that of my clients) has always been subjective.
Anyone want to run the simulation on the Impero?

Qes is a little on the high side (albeit not quite as bad as the Kilomax) and Xmax is still low like the Definimax, so IMO no advantage to using it over either the RBX or even reconing the JBLs, unless it's substantially cheaper.

FWIW,
David.

Edit: Absent Apostrophe Added
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 04:35:14 AM by David Morison »

David Morison

• SR Forums
  • Aberdeen, Scotland
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2018, 04:30:57 AM »

The B&C RBX100, at just a bit over the cost of the Kilomax will definitely outperform it in your small cabinets.
Art

I suppose that's because Emi are based in America; here, the RBX is over 15% cheaper than the Kilo - making it a no-brainer.
That's part of why I suggested it - also to tie in with Paul's suggestion of looking at B&C in the first place, and the fact that it's probably not worth looking at drivers that are too expensive to refurbish older cab's of this type/size/quality anyway.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2018, 04:30:57 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 23 queries.