ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alternative Hi-Hat mic stand?  (Read 7541 times)

David Morison

• SR Forums
  • Aberdeen, Scotland
Re: Alternative Hi-Hat mic stand?
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2018, 12:02:04 AM »

Sorry for the extra long hyperlink.  I keep forgetting how to shorten it.

For a start, you can often (including this case) delete everything after the question mark.

Otherwise, you put the url inside tags like this
Code: [Select]
[url=https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/KDStand--audix-stand-kd]Franklin's link[/url]
which will become this in the post: Franklin's link

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2018, 01:26:03 PM »

I keep a hyperlink how to sticky on my desktop  (I try to avoid using my phone for posting on the forum.)
However, I can now do it without looking - woo hoo!!
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2018, 07:59:53 PM »

Guys and Debby =)

I use these

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DFlex--audix-dflex?mrkgcl=28&mrkgadid=3303551448&rkg_id=0&product_id=DFlex&campaigntype=shopping&campaign=aaShopping%20-%20SKU%20-%20Studio%20%26%20Recording&adgroup=Microphones%20%26%20Wireless%20-%20Audix%20-%20dflex&placement=google&adpos=1o2&creative=285689014074&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkfSA-N6E3QIVUgOGCh3Aiw_7EAQYAiABEgIQ1vD_BwE

I clamp underneath the cymbals with a SDC of choice.... If its good enough for Big Mick, it's good enough for me. =)

cheers

nick -
As an undermic-er myself I can't help but think the difference in weights is a nonproblem. Maybe the mic isn't capturing what the drummer hears but it is not like we don't massively process the snare, the Tom's, the kick, well truthfully the whole kit.

I think the real question is: is what we captured usable in the mix.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

Roland Clarke

« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2018, 04:31:09 AM »

As an undermic-er myself I can't help but think the difference in weights is a nonproblem. Maybe the mic isn't capturing what the drummer hears but it is not like we don't massively process the snare, the Tom's, the kick, well truthfully the whole kit.

No amount of processing is going to change the pitch, unless you are pitch shifting it?

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2018, 04:49:31 PM »

No amount of processing is going to change the pitch, unless you are pitch shifting it?
About 1000 drummers have gone across my stages since I started undermic-ing with the atm450, including "drummers you've heard of" and "drummers who write for the magazines" and this has been a concern with exactly zero of them. Several have adapted my setup.

Personally, I think there is always somewhere new to place a mic and you will never really know until you try it. If I am stage or system teching for someone else's show, I will put it wherever they like. If I am mixing, underneath works for me. And for anyone reading along, an extra option never hurt anyone.

Jay Barracato

Nick Andrews

« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2018, 08:46:23 AM »

Exactly, and I think to spot mic or to under mic can help avoid getting more of the room sound into the mics... which is greatly helpful, I think a lot of people forget that and forget that sometimes you need to treat live audio with a slightly different approach.

Franklin Benjamin

« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2018, 10:13:02 AM »

Franklin,

At only 21" tall, it would only reach the underside of the hi-hats. OK for bottom micing a snare, but when full extended they are unstable with anything but a featherweight mic.

As Roland Clarke just pointed out, the bottom side of a hi-hat sounds little  like the top of a high hat, which is what the drummer is (hopefully) listening to.

Micing the bottom of a high hat is like micing the back of an acoustic guitar, or under the harp on a grand piano, they both make sound, but not what you generally want to hear or use to represent the instrument.

Art

Hi Art, I have one similar to the one pictured and I don't remember it being that short with the boom extended but I never used it for High Hat application.  Then again, I don't think I'm using the boom that comes with it either.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2018, 10:13:02 AM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 23 queries.