Sandbox > ProSoundWeb Reading Room

Dueling Guitars: Options For Blending One Or More Players Into The Mix

(1/1)

Keith Clark:
Dueling Guitars: Options For Blending One Or More Players Into The Mix
A veteran front of house engineer shares some tricks and techniques for managing multiple guitars in stereo or mono mixing scenarios.
By Jim Yakabuski • Posted in PSW Reading Room on August 7, 2018

In the summer of 2017, I had the honor of mixing front of house for Matchbox 20 once again. It was the first time they’d toured in many years, so we were all very excited to be back out there. We spent a couple weeks doing band rehearsals and I discovered I had a bit of an “operational challenge” on my hands in trying to find a slick way to deal with guitar sounds that at times needed to be panned out to each guitar player’s respective side on stage and at other times needed to be big and fully stereo sounding, such as a song intro or a guitar solo.

It got me thinking that there are several ways to approach treating guitar rigs in regard to number or microphones or DIs (direct boxes) used, placement in the stereo field, and dealing with one, two or more guitar players on stage. Here are some methods and solutions to these various scenarios.

Read the full article on PSW: https://www.prosoundweb.com/channels/live-sound/dueling-guitars-options-for-blending-one-or-more-players-into-the-mix/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version