ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Equipment Carts/Wagons for Event Gigs  (Read 12577 times)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Best Equipment Carts/Wagons for Event Gigs
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2018, 06:56:18 PM »

Do you have a preferred online store for drapes? Also looking for projector table skirts. Is a Fire Certificate a training course I'd have to take, or something that I have to obtain for each project site, from a fire marshal? Most of the projectors I've seen at similar small corporate events are 3000 lumens, and the other AV gear is not exactly top-notch either... Mackie loudspeakers, 4 Ch Yamaha sound boards... very entry level. And they're charging a hefty price tag.

Georgia Expo seems to do well, I just used them for the first time and they made a tight deadline.  All my drape is Rose Brand. 

The fire certificate is for the drape.

Sure, give it a try.  Don't go out without insurance.  In many hotels you won't even be allowed in the door.

I see projectors that small supplied by hotel AV departments or for very small break out rooms.  We get the occasional call for cash and carry projectors and such.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Brandon Montagne

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2018, 06:58:18 PM »

Yeah, weight would definitely be a big concern here.  You might also want to think about how to keep things dry in the rain (and/or snow if applicable).  In other words, I'd strongly consider expediting your purchase of a van, box truck, or trailer. 

As a member here who does a large majority of work in corporate, I tend to agree with Scott.  Availability aside, the corporate market is very unforgiving of any mistakes or shortcomings on your part - your fault or not.  Most clients will also want to see references, certificates of insurance, etc.  Are you prepared to accommodate all that right out of the gate?

Most things aimed towards the corporate market won't be cheap.  You mention wireless microphones - you'll need those and they need to work.  In this line of work you can't have mics cutting out or music skipping during the singing of the National Anthem or the playing of the customer's product launch video.  The pay is nice but the stakes are high!  Best of luck to you though!

Thanks for those pointers, good stuff. How much should insurance cost for a small AV company? I have 10 years of corporate event planning/logistics/coordination experience for large companies doing Trade shows, Tech Conferences, Co Meetings, Parties etc., so the high-stakes is absolutely understood but doesn't make me lose sleep at night. For these small meeting rooms, from what I can tell I'll have more than enough wireless mic coverage, so far I have Shure receivers and mics that have a range 2-3X the size of the avg rooms I'll be working. I plan to test out the way everything works (PA, Lights, Projectors etc) in a live event setting as well before ever taking a paid gig. I understand bodies and other factors can influence the signals.   

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2018, 07:20:41 PM »

Thanks for those pointers, good stuff. How much should insurance cost for a small AV company? I have 10 years of corporate event planning/logistics/coordination experience for large companies doing Trade shows, Tech Conferences, Co Meetings, Parties etc., so the high-stakes is absolutely understood but doesn't make me lose sleep at night. For these small meeting rooms, from what I can tell I'll have more than enough wireless mic coverage, so far I have Shure receivers and mics that have a range 2-3X the size of the avg rooms I'll be working. I plan to test out the way everything works (PA, Lights, Projectors etc) in a live event setting as well before ever taking a paid gig. I understand bodies and other factors can influence the signals.

It's not really bodies it's the interference environment.  Those microphones may work one place but not in another.  For reliable corporate work the lowest acceptable Shure unit is the QLX-D.  ULX-D and Axient for high density (over 12 channels).

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2018, 07:21:40 PM »

Thanks for those pointers, good stuff. How much should insurance cost for a small AV company?

It depends on what your customers, venues, and other stakeholders want to see.  $1M per occurrence and $2M aggregate is generally the minimal amount that seems to see wide acceptance at least where I am, but you might need more depending on what all you do.  The policy I'm under for pyro is substantially higher.  You might need to address things such as workers comp as well.  As Scott said, in the corporate world you're not getting in the door without this.  I've also dealt with corporate clients who refuse to hire an individual - i.e. you must be an actual company.  An LLC will do (which is what I am), but just one more thing to consider. 

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2018, 07:47:49 PM »

It depends on what your customers, venues, and other stakeholders want to see.  $1M per occurrence and $2M aggregate is generally the minimal amount that seems to see wide acceptance at least where I am, but you might need more depending on what all you do.  The policy I'm under for pyro is substantially higher.  You might need to address things such as workers comp as well.  As Scott said, in the corporate world you're not getting in the door without this.  I've also dealt with corporate clients who refuse to hire an individual - i.e. you must be an actual company.  An LLC will do (which is what I am), but just one more thing to consider.

That is sufficient liability.  I also consider Inland Marine all perils to cover your gear and some sort of bailee coverage for non-owned gear in your care, custody and control.

The LLC statement is true also, we are an LLC with a S election.

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Brandon Montagne

« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2018, 04:22:06 PM »

Excellent, I have an LLC. I'll definitely take your advice and find insurance with the $1M and $2M coverage as you specified. I won't have any full time employees for the foreseeable future but instead was thinking about hiring contractors when I need an extra hand, or when I need someone to do an event without me there.

Brandon Montagne

« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2018, 04:30:02 PM »

It's not really bodies it's the interference environment.  Those microphones may work one place but not in another.  For reliable corporate work the lowest acceptable Shure unit is the QLX-D.  ULX-D and Axient for high density (over 12 channels).

We are running the BLX and SM58 combos at my church for the last year (and this is what I've bought recently), never had  signal drop once yet. However, the previous Sennheiser system would cut out when people covered the antenna on the bottom of the mic with their hand. These SM58/BLXs don't seem to be affected by that kind of thing, but like you said they're only in 1 controlled environment, so not sure how they'd perform in other venues they way I'll be asking mine to.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2018, 05:24:03 PM »

We are running the BLX and SM58 combos at my church for the last year (and this is what I've bought recently), never had  signal drop once yet. However, the previous Sennheiser system would cut out when people covered the antenna on the bottom of the mic with their hand. These SM58/BLXs don't seem to be affected by that kind of thing, but like you said they're only in 1 controlled environment, so not sure how they'd perform in other venues they way I'll be asking mine to.

Not to keep echoing Scott, but he’s absolutely right (and knows wireless better than I do).  It all comes down to reliability and what’s good enough for you, but I’ve used the Audio Technica equivalent to your BLX and would never trust it to work on corporate gigs.  The absolute lowest grade of wireless product I’ll use is the Sennheiser EW100 kit with paddle antennas, and that’s just for very simple applications.  Beyond that you’re looking at QLX/ULX/Axient. 

Also, you’ll want the beltpack/headworn mics for those too.  Some presenters will want the clip-ons and headsets, and as you’ve probably guessed the $29 capsules that come included with the beltpacks won’t cut it either.  Unfortunately this line of work is one of the most expensive ones to just jump into!

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2018, 06:31:13 PM »

BLX should not even bear the Shure name.  It had hideous performance in high RF environments (like busy hotels).   I am not saying you need to run out and buy a rack full of ULX-D and DPA mics but a couple of QLX-D and some Countryman earworn would get you a lot closer to where you need to be.

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2018, 11:12:08 PM »

The fire certification is for the drapes themselves. If they are not inherently flame retardant (as polyester is), then they need to be professionally treated with an approved flame retardant solution.  A certificate of flame retardancy will likely be sewn onto each panel treated.

Cotton velour looks great, but needs to be treated periodically.  Polyester velour doesn't look as nice (IMO), but doesn't typically need treatment.  Light weight drapes (like you see as trade show booth dividers) are usually polyester.

DaLite Fast-Fold deluxe portable screens are available with nice masking drapes, albeit at a price.  I haven't used anything else, but I'm sure there are other vendors too.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2018, 11:12:08 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 23 queries.