ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Equipment Carts/Wagons for Event Gigs  (Read 12565 times)

Brandon Montagne

Best Equipment Carts/Wagons for Event Gigs
« on: August 06, 2018, 05:05:27 PM »

First things first, I'm new to this forum and also owner of a brand new A/V business, we're still in the initial stages of buying equipment, creating the branded materials, website, and other admin details. I'd appreciate any suggestions for carts/wagons that make your load-in and load-out easiest. There's a ton of options out there but none that I've found seem exactly fit for purpose of moving A/V equipment. I'll be setting up temporary events for corporate gigs and also small-midsize live music events. Am I right to assume the cart should have locking wheels and support rails on all sides as well as tie-downs to avoid costly accidents? Thank you - Brandon.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Best Equipment Carts/Wagons for Event Gigs
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 05:21:52 PM »

First things first, I'm new to this forum and also owner of a brand new A/V business, we're still in the initial stages of buying equipment, creating the branded materials, website, and other admin details. I'd appreciate any suggestions for carts/wagons that make your load-in and load-out easiest. There's a ton of options out there but none that I've found seem exactly fit for purpose of moving A/V equipment. I'll be setting up temporary events for corporate gigs and also small-midsize live music events. Am I right to assume the cart should have locking wheels and support rails on all sides as well as tie-downs to avoid costly accidents? Thank you - Brandon.

This is easy - Equipment goes in cases, properly sized or fill added, cases should have wheelboards/casters,  stagehands etc. push cases in.

Piling shit on a cart is a sure way to shorten it's lifespan.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Brandon Montagne

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 06:38:23 PM »

This is easy - Equipment goes in cases, properly sized or fill added, cases should have wheelboards/casters,  stagehands etc. push cases in.

Piling shit on a cart is a sure way to shorten it's lifespan.

I guess I was trying to avoid the cost of a trailer or box truck initially... I don't really have THAT much gear, just small corporate event setups for now.
With road cases, you pretty much need a ramp, into the trailer or truck. In my case at first, I only have a pickup truck, so I have to load and unload without a ramp.
Is the solution just buy a trailer anyway because I'll need it before long?

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 07:12:50 PM »

I guess I was trying to avoid the cost of a trailer or box truck initially... I don't really have THAT much gear, just small corporate event setups for now.
With road cases, you pretty much need a ramp, into the trailer or truck. In my case at first, I only have a pickup truck, so I have to load and unload without a ramp.
Is the solution just buy a trailer anyway because I'll need it before long?

Things fall off and of cards and get damaged.  Everybody starts somewhere and if the pickup truck is what you have and can afford then look for some used cases and a helper.

What kind of A/V are you doing? Corporate stuff?  What are you trying to haul, projectors, screens, staging, pipe and drape?  You said A/V company so I have to assume you are not doing sound reinforcement for musical events.

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 11:17:44 PM »

FWIW, I think the money I spent on a folding and separating 800 lb capacity ramp was a good investment. Not only can I roll cases into my Astro van, I can ramp up or down three or four stairs easily at a venue.  I bought an made in USA ramp, but import versions seem to work too.  Something to consider, anyway.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2018, 01:12:07 AM »

The best decision I ever made is to put everything for events into road cases.  I used to try and conserve space, and pile stuff into whatever vehicle was available.

It was hard on equipment, hard on my back, and well, just pretty stupid.

Now, stuff is in road cases and gets loaded into the van.  Bigger shows and I rent a truck.  The road cases makes load in at the venue faster and easier, and gear is protected inside of the case instead of bouncing around in the vehicle.

Getting truck pack cases makes life much easier as well, even if that means they aren't quite as efficient of being compact.
Brian Jojade

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2018, 01:18:14 AM »

Even for a bar gig we can load up a 1/2 pack case,  strap the monitors on top and the mains ride on the subs.

For most places it's a 5 minute push.

Also easier to take inventory at pack and then when back in warehouse.

One of the things I did 5 years ago when I started the business was put process in place. Do it now while you are small,  no time once you get busy.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Brandon Montagne

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2018, 07:25:23 PM »

Things fall off and of cards and get damaged.  Everybody starts somewhere and if the pickup truck is what you have and can afford then look for some used cases and a helper.

What kind of A/V are you doing? Corporate stuff?  What are you trying to haul, projectors, screens, staging, pipe and drape?  You said A/V company so I have to assume you are not doing sound reinforcement for musical events.

Indeed, small corporate events to get started, hoping to eventually move into live music festivals and concerts, but at first just the small corporate events.

Brandon Montagne

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2018, 07:27:30 PM »

The best decision I ever made is to put everything for events into road cases.  I used to try and conserve space, and pile stuff into whatever vehicle was available.

It was hard on equipment, hard on my back, and well, just pretty stupid.

Now, stuff is in road cases and gets loaded into the van.  Bigger shows and I rent a truck.  The road cases makes load in at the venue faster and easier, and gear is protected inside of the case instead of bouncing around in the vehicle.

Getting truck pack cases makes life much easier as well, even if that means they aren't quite as efficient of being compact.

Great points all around, I really appreciate the feedback. Looks like I need to source several cases and then be ready to have a helper or two for events at load-in and load-out since I probably won't have a trailer at first.

Brandon Montagne

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2018, 07:28:05 PM »

FWIW, I think the money I spent on a folding and separating 800 lb capacity ramp was a good investment. Not only can I roll cases into my Astro van, I can ramp up or down three or four stairs easily at a venue.  I bought an made in USA ramp, but import versions seem to work too.  Something to consider, anyway.

That's a very useful idea as well, thank you!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2018, 07:28:05 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 25 queries.