ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: JTR releases new 2x18 Subwoofers - info here  (Read 20107 times)

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
JTR releases new 2x18 Subwoofers - info here
« on: August 06, 2018, 01:24:07 PM »

Well, Jeff is at it again... (lucky for all of us)

We've been working with Jeff at JTR to get a direct radiating, dual 18" subwoofer that would hit hard, play low, and remain "musical" and "controlled" without being too woofy or sloppy. Those who are familiar with Jeff's home theater stuff know that he can get subs to do some crazy things... 10.5Hz at +/- 3dB, for example.

His Orbit Shifters are awesome in their own right, and the new C212Pro subs are absolute maniacs... a 70-lb sub that goes to 39Hz and puts out more bass than it has a right to (we have six of the C212Pros).

Anyway, to get to the good stuff, we debuted the first set of 2x18 HO subs over the weekend. We picked them up from Jeff on Friday - he didn't have the grilles ready, but we took them anyway. Grilles should be available this week.

The specs look excellent - 27Hz - 190Hz (+/- 3dB), 139dB within CEA2010 distortion, available as powered or passive units. We bought four of the powered units.

Deployed them at an outdoor venue - wide open space without any buildings or backdrops to help with gain. A pair easily covered 400-ish people; we measured 106-108dB c-weighted at the back of the venue's space (when pushing it a bit). The pair managed a very comfortable 102-103dB c-weighted just past FOH (about 70-feet back).

Jeff should have more info on these soon. I can't wait to deploy four of them at a larger event and see what they can do. The build quality is typical JTR - heavily overbuilt, and absolutely flawless in every regard. Lots of handles in the cabinets, and they tilt-back and roll for easy transport. They can be deployed horizontally or vertically. There are pole cup mounts for vertical orientation. I'd put the weight at around 175-pounds if I had to guess.

I only have one photo of them from the night. Ignore the caution tape... without grilles, it was a "quick fix" to attempt to keep people away from them. Thankfully, people were very respectful at the event and we didn't have any issues to contend with. We'll get some better photos at future events, and will provide additional updates.

I also attached a fairly poor photo of the venue; the band set-up in the top-left corner of the photo and people were spread out over the entire brick-paver area.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 11:00:36 AM by Steve Litscher »

Patrick Cognitore

Re: New JTR subwoofer - 2x18 HO
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2018, 01:26:18 PM »

So this is a different model from the Captivator 218 Pro? Specs seem fairly close, but looking at pics of each the construction looks different. I'm curious why there are two models seemingly filling the same niche.

Well, Jeff is at it again... (lucky for all of us)

We've been working with Jeff at JTR to get a direct radiating, dual 18" subwoofer that would hit hard, play low, and remain "musical" and "controlled" without being too woofy or sloppy. Those who are familiar with Jeff's home theater stuff know that he can get subs to do some crazy things... 10.5Hz at +/- 3dB, for example.

His Orbit Shifters are awesome in their own right, and the new C212Pro subs are absolute maniacs... a 70-lb sub that goes to 39Hz and puts out more bass than it has a right to (we have six of the C212Pros).

Anyway, to get to the good stuff, we debuted the first set of 2x18 HO subs over the weekend. We picked them up from Jeff on Friday - he didn't have the grilles ready, but we took them anyway. Grilles should be available this week.

The specs look excellent - 27Hz - 190Hz (+/- 3dB), 139dB within CEA2010 distortion, available as powered or passive units. We bought four of the powered units.

Deployed them at an outdoor venue - wide open space without any buildings or backdrops to help with gain. A pair easily covered 400-ish people; we measured 106-108dB c-weighted at the back of the venue's space (when pushing it a bit). The pair managed a very comfortable 102-103dB c-weighted just past FOH (about 70-feet back).

Jeff should have more info on these soon. I can't wait to deploy four of them at a larger event and see what they can do. The build quality is typical JTR - heavily overbuilt, and absolutely flawless in every regard. Lots of handles in the cabinets, and they tilt-back and roll for easy transport. They can be deployed horizontally or vertically. There are pole cup mounts for vertical orientation. I'd put the weight at around 175-pounds if I had to guess.

I only have one photo of them from the night. Ignore the caution tape... without grilles, it was a "quick fix" to attempt to keep people away from them. Thankfully, people were very respectful at the event and we didn't have any issues to contend with. We'll get some better photos at future events, and will provide additional updates.

I also attached a fairly poor photo of the venue; the band set-up in the top-left corner of the photo and people were spread out over the entire brick-paver area.

John Schalk

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 01:59:29 PM »

More pictures please.  Side, back, etc.  Jeff hasn't announced these on the JTR Facebook page yet so we must depend on Steve for more details!

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 10:57:42 AM »

More pictures please.  Side, back, etc.  Jeff hasn't announced these on the JTR Facebook page yet so we must depend on Steve for more details!

Official word from Jeff:

- The name for the new 2x18 high output (our project name was "218HO") subwoofers is "Captivator 218 Pro"

- The website has accurate/current specifications

- The website doesn't have photos of the new design

- This design replaces the previous model; it doesn't go as low as the previous model (the old ones were tuned to 19Hz), but it has more output overall than the previous model

- The drivers are all new

- New amplifiers; available as passive or active

I've had a chance to use these for three shows now. I'm liking them quite a bit. They definitely have a much fuller sound, and are very clean and hard hitting. Two of them are all that we've rolled out so far (we have four), and they've been more than enough for our outdoor gigs.

Gig #1 was highlighted in the post above.

Gig #2 was under a really small "beer tent" at a small local festival. Set-up on the ground... No stage... (oye) Low tent... no backdrop... I got a few photos of the subs at the event - the photos show the subs with their grilles as well as the amplifier.

The amplifier is a SpeakerPower unit - Jeff works closely with them. The drivers are 4-ohms each, so if you purchase the passive model, you'll have to choose between 8-ohm load or 2-ohm load. If my memory serves correctly, Jeff wants about 800-watts continuous per driver, so a PL380 in stereo should be about perfect. Check with Jeff to confirm, though.

The active models work really well - they have the usual controls on the back (gain, LF adjust, crossover, delay), along with a single XLR (no pass through) and a set of RCA (assumedly for HT use). There's a master on/off switch as well as a "on/off" switch. There's also a Speak-On output jack... more to come on that. Power is supplied by IEC. I believe they pull around 8A at 1/8 power, but that may be a bit on the high side.

Gig #3 was for a "national night out" at a large park. Again, no cover, no stage (ugh), no backdrop to get some free gain from. Had about 800-ish people at the park and had no issue running the two C218 Pros. Used DSR112 on top (the performance area was raised via a natural slope). I pushed the DSR112 pretty hard; was told it was going to be much smaller venue and crowd... but everything worked well. If I had my way, I would've paired the C218Pro with 3TX or our TTL-6As for this event.

No gigs this weekend, but I will likely be doing some work in the storage unit, so I'll try to get a few more/better photos of the subs.

They measure just about the same as an Orbit Shifter, but are slightly shorter and ever so slightly deeper. The handles make for easy maneuvering - There are the "Orbit Shifter-like" handles on the top back edge, two sets of hand holds on the top (along with pole mount cup), and another hand hold on the bottom, on the same plane as the tilt-back casters.

Hope this info helps. Feel free to contact Jeff with any other questions!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 11:02:55 AM by Steve Litscher »

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 11:00:10 AM »

Gig #3 was for a "national night out" --- (attaching photo of the event/set-up)

Hope this info helps. Feel free to contact Jeff with any other questions!

John Schalk

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2018, 01:29:39 PM »

Thanks for the additional info and pictures Steve.  These look really promising to me as they line up pretty well with my existing power amp options.  I'm still probably not a buyer until next spring, but nice to know that Jeff is updating his products for live sound.

Steve Garris

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2018, 03:09:31 PM »

Very cool - I love the active design. Just curious, why would someone want these over the Orbit Shifters?

Lance Hallmark

• Tampa Bay, FL
    • Hallmark Events & Entertainment
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2018, 03:45:48 PM »

Very cool - I love the active design. Just curious, why would someone want these over the Orbit Shifters?

They go about 10hz lower, where a lot of EDM is going these days.
I'd like to know how well a pair would play with a pair of Orbit Shifters
----------------------------------------------------
Lance Hallmark
Hallmark Events & Entertainment
Chamsys, Crown, Danley, EV, JTR, Powersoft, Yamaha

Patrick Cognitore

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2018, 08:43:56 PM »

Thanks for the update Steve, that all makes sense. I recalled the other specs for the Captivator 218 pro and noticed they had changed. 27hz is great low extension, and the output looks tremendous.

I'm curious about the built in limiting on the amp. Is there any, how sophisticated, etc.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2018, 12:21:03 PM »

They go about 10hz lower, where a lot of EDM is going these days.
I'd like to know how well a pair would play with a pair of Orbit Shifters
The following is a general statement, and is not inferring or referencing any of the products in discussion, It is for general information and consideration.

The useful output of any loudspeaker is a combination of extension and sensitivity and power handling.

A simple number ( goes 10Hz lower) doesn't tell anything about how loud it is at that freq.

The -3dB or -10dB etc MUST be referenced to SOMETHING or else it has NO meaning.  It should be referenced to the sensitivity to have any valid meaning.

But sadly, there are plenty of examples of top manufactures whos own graphs and simple number spec sheets are VERY wrong.  I have some that are more than 20dB off.  that is only a factor of 100.  What if your pay check was off by 2 zeros?  I bet you would care THEN.  HA HA

ANY loudspeaker EVER made, including soft dome tweeters, can EASILY reproduce 1Hz.  So every loudspeaker goes down to 1 Hz.

Now how LOUD they are at 1 Hz is a TOTALLY different story.

You MUST know more information than a simple number.

Simple numbers will get you trouble every time.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2018, 12:21:03 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 21 queries.