ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1st pair of Moving Heads Need Help  (Read 8583 times)

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
Re: 1st pair of Moving Heads Need Help
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2018, 07:21:58 PM »

How do I know what is compatible with this?

All software should provide a list of at least some compatible interfaces, though they'll recommend their own brand first of course, which is reasonable. 

From the MagicQ PC FAQ: "MagicQ software has support for Enttec Pro (also DMX King Pro Interface), Digital Enlightenment, Peperoni, DMX4ALL, Velleman and Nicholaudie devices." 

From M-PC:  "M-PC can be used for offline programming or can be linked to a Martin M-DMX or any ArtNet, sACN interface device for direct control of fixtures...Alternatively, a single universe can be controlled with M-PC when using an ENTTEC compatible USB-DMX interface."

Any interface should also list which software it is compatible with, especially if it's a third party device.  The list for the Enttec interface is quite long and can be found on Enttec's website. 

Am I understanding this correct , if I get a hardware controller then that is my connectivity to the lights sorted? I would also connect this to the laptop to do all my programming but then in live I would just run direct from the board and map my scenes etc to buttons/faders on the board?

Hardware controllers are usually standalone.  You will not need to connect them to a laptop for programming or playback.  There are some exceptions such as ETC's SmartFade products, but for your purposes you won't need to worry about that.  All your programming is done on the controller itself.  Again, have a look on YouTube if you need to see an example of how this would be done, though it'll vary by controller.

If I don't have a controller then I have to find a method for connectivity such as the emtec interface you mentioned.

Yes.  You need to generate DMX somehow.  A hardware controller does this all onboard, but to use a laptop as a substitute you'll need an interface to convert USB (or Ethernet, but we won't go there) to DMX so that the computer can send the industry-standard control signal to your lights.

I then need to decide if in live I control direct from the laptop or get a midi controller like the akai?

MIDI opens up another can of worms.  Some software such as MagicQ PC and M-PC support programming wings to give hands-on control of select features, which I think it what you really want.  M-PC's options are more cost effective than MagicQ's, but both essentially serve the same purpose.  MIDI would require yet another interface, and while it can certainly be done, at this point I'd just say get a hardware board and learn how to use it.  MIDI to PC to DMX is getting rather complex for two lights, but that's up to you to decide on what's best.  Hope this helps!

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2018, 08:59:20 PM »

Am I understanding this correct , if I get a hardware controller then that is my connectivity to the lights sorted?
Yes.

I would also connect this to the laptop to do all my programming but then in live I would just run direct from the board and map my scenes etc to buttons/faders on the board?
No. Once you have a hardware controller you don't need anything else, it is all you need to create and run scenes. The only downside is you have to connect the light fixtures to it to do programming.. that is your visualization. With a complex setup this becomes something of an issue but with only 2 fixtures you won't have any problem, and with a capable controller(see my earlier post) you will find making custom scenes on site only takes a few minutes once you get the hang of it.

Taylor Hall

« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2018, 09:37:18 PM »

What would you suggest then?

What I think i would like to do is create probably about 8 scenes if that.

Use a button of some sort (midi controller etc) to control them in live.

I liked my dmx 2.0 as it seemed very easy to use such as it showed all the attributes of the light and within the scene builder made it easy to manipulate the lights

Do we think that if i wanted to use the my dmx software I would be able to use and adj controller?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

We have been using QLC+ for several years now and really like it. It's completely open source (and free) and works with a variety of well established DMX interfaces like Enttec and DMXKing. You can create all your scenes, chases, cues and whatnot in the program and then run it yourself via a virtual console with no need for a physical controller. They also have a massive library of fixtures to choose from, and if it doesn't exist, adding your own is very easy, or the forums can help create the definition for you. You can also use various MIDI devices as triggers for pretty much anything, though I've never messed with that myself. The program is great in that it is very powerful, but not intimidating to use. Your project can be as simple or complex as you want to make it. It has a very active forum and the developer is quick to chime in. The biggest thing it lacks is a 3D view to show you moving head positions or par beams, but that is coming very soon in the next major release. I'd be happy to go into greater detail in PMs if you'd like.

I disagree.  Both MagicQ PC and M-PC, made by companies far beyond the caliber of ADJ and Chauvet, support third party interfaces.  Both are professional control software, and the Enttec DMX-USB Pro is an example of such an interface that will work with either one.  Both programs can be downloaded and used for free so long as you can live within the restrictions of the third party interface compatibility.  The marketing plan is that you'll learn and like the software to the point you buy the more capable interfaces and programming wings sold by ChamSys and Martin/Elation/Obsidian(?).  From the success of MagicQ PC and M-PC, I'd say that strategy works quite well.  This method also has resulted in a very wide userbase that can help you navigate through issues you encounter with the software.  In contrast, the ADJ forums are all but dead, so I wouldn't expect much help from them.   

Sorry, I realized I did that thing where I thought one thing and typed another. :-X What I should have said is that a fixture company like Chauvet or ADJ will try to get you into their "walled garden" of software and hardware in an attempt to keep you in their ecosystem by preventing third party devices like something from Enttec from working, or having the software not work at all unless it detects an approved device. There are certainly many options out there from reputable companies that don't seek to restrict you unnecessarily.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2018, 09:55:21 PM »

Sorry, I realized I did that thing where I thought one thing and typed another...

Oh no worries, and what’s interesting is that with all the branding shake-up going on lately MagicQ, which comes from ChamSys, is now part of Chauvet, and M-PC is now part of Elation who is branching that off to a new entity called Obsidian.  It’ll be telling to see if either company keeps the precident set by the original developers of allowing third party interfaces.  I can see the business strategy both for and against this...

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2018, 12:52:03 AM »

Chauvet has made a lot of advances in Showxpress.

I have not joined the beta for version 9 but 8 has palette support, much simpler layering and a playback fader that is actually useful for busking.

I have a 24" touchscreen.  My scenes are broken down to color,  gobo, prism, misc. (Frost etc.) And movement.  I also have aome macros.  I busked a show for about 5000 with 32 pars, 10 movers, blinders and and aome specialty fixtures.  It was passable.

There are tons of fixture profiles.  I didn't have a single Chauvet fixture in the show.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2018, 12:52:03 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 23 queries.