ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: 1st pair of Moving Heads Need Help  (Read 8568 times)

Bart Jansari

Re: 1st pair of Moving Heads Need Help
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2018, 04:42:34 AM »

Good!

You set them to limit their movement, yes?
You didn't just position them to point one way using the manual dmx control, no?

DMX tutorial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3jM_rbILhs
http://cdb.s3.amazonaws.com/ItemRelatedFiles/10498/dmxoperator_manual.pdf

Your event is tomorrow?

I doubt you'll be able to get DMX control out of your laptop within 24hrs.

You'd need a USB or artNET or sACN node/output device.
dmxKING has them and/or ENTTEC.

I would get used to changing the menu on the master one and set it for sound and the other to slave and just leave it.
Thanks for sending over that tutorial which was useful.

I didnt know that dmx cables and audio xlr cables are very different. I was about to use 1 of my speaker xlr cables to try and connect the 2 as master and slave and probably screw up the light

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2018, 05:20:32 AM »

Thanks for sending over that tutorial which was useful.

I didnt know that dmx cables and audio xlr cables are very different. I was about to use 1 of my speaker xlr cables to try and connect the 2 as master and slave and probably screw up the light

Invert one sides movevent so you are not just lighting one side of an area.  How large an area?  Those things are about as powerful as a maglite.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Bart Jansari

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2018, 05:28:25 AM »

Invert one sides movevent so you are not just lighting one side of an area.  How large an area?  Those things are about as powerful as a maglite.
To invert the movement do I set pan to reverse on 1 light?

I don't have any dmx cables atm only audio xlr ones, I've ordered from amazon prime same day so hopefully they arrive before I need to head out

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2018, 05:40:05 AM »

To invert the movement do I set pan to reverse on 1 light?

I don't have any dmx cables atm only audio xlr ones, I've ordered from amazon prime same day so hopefully they arrive before I need to head out

You can get away with a mic cable for that short a distance.

Yes Pan invert.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Bart Jansari

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2018, 05:46:33 AM »

The distance between 2 speakers will only be about 6 metres so my 15m xlr should suffice?

Silly q but the inverse is that just for movement so if light one goes right the other one goes left but what does it do with colour does it just keep the same colour or both or would it somehow try and inverse the colors too

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2018, 10:58:08 AM »

The pan invert is only for movement.  Master and slave will still have the same colors, gobos and tilt movement.  Only the pan will be mirrored.  I realize you only have two lights now, but I anticipate you will be adding more.  We call it "GAS" - Gear Acquisition Syndrome.  One of many DMX interfaces is the ADJ "My DMX Buddy".  The software download is free and there are YouTube instruction videos on its operation.

Bart Jansari

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2018, 11:07:19 AM »

Thanks a lot
Yes I've tried the pan and tilt and works well so yes I can already feel me itching to get more of these lights. Hence I'll want to understand dmx use.
My other lights which do have dmx capability have limited options so I can't see me needing to. Dmx these as I use them as a colour wash or sound active.

I'll have a look at the software you mentioned. I assume you mean that I can use this to control the DMX controls.

What would you recommend in terms of connectivity to connect laptop to lights?

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2018, 04:34:53 PM »

My other lights which do have dmx capability have limited options so I can't see me needing to Dmx these as I use them as a colour wash or sound active.
Well you may be surprised what is possible once you have control, I'm using Freestyler to control wireless uplighting to great effect, the software has a neat little app in it to run them in chase sequences with single or multiple colors and it is fully variable wrt speed, fading or snap changes, sound active or automatic, etc.

But a hardware controller may be beneficial for a single operator, I find it is easier to control on the fly when busking live or when otherwise occupied as you would be when DJing. To that end I think the best budget HW controller available at the moment that has some really good built-in features for moving heads is the Blizzard Prokontrol-mh, and I recently discovered the same controller is available in Europe from Eurolite as the Move Controller 512. It has built-in movement macros.. those are pre generated movements that you can customize in scale/offset/speed for your movers, fixture patching which means you can control the same parameter on diverse fixtures with a single control button/fader regardless of their factory channel assignments, and it will also run several scenes and/or chases concurrently which is a very powerful tool for generating complex ever changing effects. I use both of these control systems a lot and sometimes both at the same time.. depending what the requirements are. I have built up scenes and chases in the controllers that I like but these have to be tweaked for every venue as the equipment is always setup differently with respect to the area you want to cover with the lighting, that's easy to do with these. But I won't sugar coat it you will have some steep learning to do to get the most out of either of these systems but it is worth it IMO.

What would you recommend in terms of connectivity to connect laptop to lights?
You need a USB to DMX interface, these are widely available now all over the web. I have an Enttec USB open and an unbranded chinese version that work equally well, the Enttec Pro and its clones are generally more recommended though as they buffer the signal in the event of a USB glitch which is a common occurrance. This interface https://dmxking.com/usbdmx/ultradmxmicro is one of the more cost effect solutions.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 05:19:26 PM by Paul G. OBrien »

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2018, 04:55:51 PM »

Also look at the Luminair software.
It has a lot of tools to make your programming easier.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2018, 07:14:14 PM »

Another one bites the dust.... DMX has been verbed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2018, 07:14:14 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 25 queries.