ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: 1st pair of Moving Heads Need Help  (Read 8570 times)

Bart Jansari

1st pair of Moving Heads Need Help
« on: August 03, 2018, 08:19:18 AM »

I have just bought a pair of ADJ Pocket Spot Pro moving heads and I am a complete Noob to using moving heads.
These are bought to compliment the rest of my DJ set up. I plan to use them tomorrow for a small wedding reception

What I am after is the following

- simple guides to using them - for the main dance element of the evening I will probably use sound active mode but for the other elements for now the only choice I can see is to use a pre programmed show.

- should I look at DMXing these and if so I assume that this can be done via a pc and if so does anyone have any preprogammed shows that i can use?

any other help or advice on getting the most out of these

Thanks Bart

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
Re: 1st pair of Moving Heads Need Help
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2018, 10:44:29 AM »

No one can help you until your display name is your full REAL name as per forum rules.

If "Bart Junted" is your real name then thanks for following the rules!
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2018, 01:57:38 PM »

I have just bought a pair of ADJ Pocket Spot Pro moving heads and I am a complete Noob to using moving heads.
These are bought to compliment the rest of my DJ set up. I plan to use them tomorrow for a small wedding reception

What I am after is the following

- simple guides to using them - for the main dance element of the evening I will probably use sound active mode but for the other elements for now the only choice I can see is to use a pre programmed show.

- should I look at DMXing these and if so I assume that this can be done via a pc and if so does anyone have any preprogammed shows that i can use?

any other help or advice on getting the most out of these

Thanks Bart

Thanks for fixing your display name.

Do you know anything about DMX?
Do you have a DMX controller?
Did you read the ADJ Pocket Spot Pro's manual?

The manual will give you a decent overview of DMX, using it in stand-alone and with a controller.

Specifically to answer your questions:
- yes, you should string an XLR between them and put one in master and one in slave mode. This will make them work in tandem.
- The simple guide to using them is in the manual.
- You can control via PC but you need a way to get DMX output from your computer & a DMX program on your computer.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Bart Jansari

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2018, 02:17:39 PM »

Yes I've had a look at the manual and got a basic understanding of them
E. G using Tilt so that they only face forward.
I understand what DMX is but don't have a controller or know how to set DMX up.
Hence I was hoping if I am to go down the DMX route someone will have some programs already set that I can use.
I have a spare laptop that I could use for the lights if we can DMX via this.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2018, 03:22:41 PM »

Yes I've had a look at the manual and got a basic understanding of them
E. G using Tilt so that they only face forward.
I understand what DMX is but don't have a controller or know how to set DMX up.
Hence I was hoping if I am to go down the DMX route someone will have some programs already set that I can use.
I have a spare laptop that I could use for the lights if we can DMX via this.

Good!

You set them to limit their movement, yes?
You didn't just position them to point one way using the manual dmx control, no?

DMX tutorial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3jM_rbILhs
http://cdb.s3.amazonaws.com/ItemRelatedFiles/10498/dmxoperator_manual.pdf

Your event is tomorrow?

I doubt you'll be able to get DMX control out of your laptop within 24hrs.

You'd need a USB or artNET or sACN node/output device.
dmxKING has them and/or ENTTEC.

I would get used to changing the menu on the master one and set it for sound and the other to slave and just leave it.

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2018, 03:43:32 PM »

+1 for Nathan's comments.  If you have two lights on one side of your booth and two on the other side, set the "pan" to "reverse" on the lights on one of the sides.  This way they will be mirror images of each other and will look more professional.  When you start using software and a DMX "widget" (USB to DMX output interface), this can be done when programing, and you will not always want things mirrored.  There is a lot of software out there, and much of it is free.  DMX widgets can be found for less than $100.00, but the cheapest ones many limit you to 128 or 256 DMX channels.  A "whole" DMX universe is 512 channels of control information.  By having more than one light running at the same address, even 128 channels can produce a good small show, and a computer can store a lot of scenes and chases.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2018, 03:43:44 PM »

Generally not.  That would more or less defeat the purpose of using DMX to begin with.  To back things up a bit, why did you buy these lights and what are you planning to accomplish with them? 

Bart Jansari

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2018, 02:58:40 AM »

Good!

You set them to limit their movement, yes?
You didn't just position them to point one way using the manual dmx control, no?

DMX tutorial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3jM_rbILhs
http://cdb.s3.amazonaws.com/ItemRelatedFiles/10498/dmxoperator_manual.pdf

Your event is tomorrow?

I doubt you'll be able to get DMX control out of your laptop within 24hrs.

You'd need a USB or artNET or sACN node/output device.
dmxKING has them and/or ENTTEC.

I would get used to changing the menu on the master one and set it for sound and the other to slave and just leave it.
Yes I used the option in the menu under Tilt to limit the movement to 180 degrees forward only.

Agree I don't expect to get full control out of these lights today I will most likely just use one of the pre programmed shows for the eating part of the wedding reception and then use sound active for the dance part

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Bart Jansari

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2018, 03:00:14 AM »

+1 for Nathan's comments.  If you have two lights on one side of your booth and two on the other side, set the "pan" to "reverse" on the lights on one of the sides.  This way they will be mirror images of each other and will look more professional.  When you start using software and a DMX "widget" (USB to DMX output interface), this can be done when programing, and you will not always want things mirrored.  There is a lot of software out there, and much of it is free.  DMX widgets can be found for less than $100.00, but the cheapest ones many limit you to 128 or 256 DMX channels.  A "whole" DMX universe is 512 channels of control information.  By having more than one light running at the same address, even 128 channels can produce a good small show, and a computer can store a lot of scenes and chases.
Thank you
Atm I only have 2 of these lights so I plan to place them on top of my speakers either side of my booth

I'd like to understand more about these DMX widgets please

Bart Jansari

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2018, 03:05:47 AM »

Generally not.  That would more or less defeat the purpose of using DMX to begin with.  To back things up a bit, why did you buy these lights and what are you planning to accomplish with them?
Overall I would like to add to what I have at the moment and the introduction of moving heads will make the set up look nicer.

I also have 4 of these lights
https://www.djkit.com/ledj/ledj-slimline-7q5-rgbw.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwnZXbBRC8ARIsABEYg6CFc9_X2AQV4zXvLcC5qDewf-1JVIzEFpmHiJoqarLagDIL2GY8GxEaAvv4EALw_wcB#

I currently use them as a colour wash or sound active but they have DMX capability itself too.

The reason id like to be look into DMX for the moving heads is there is so much more I can do with them and although I have bought the remote that goes with them it's very limited and manual in what I can do.

So for example say when the bride and groom walk in I want it to change to the heart Gobo and be white and rotate both forwards.

Hence why I'm thinking if others have pre programmed shows I can pick and choose from them what I want.

Hope that makes sense

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2018, 03:05:47 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 23 queries.