ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: 1st pair of Moving Heads Need Help  (Read 8580 times)

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
Re: 1st pair of Moving Heads Need Help
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2018, 07:13:26 PM »

From what I see on controllers there are essentially faders which you will map a function to e.g  change Gobo to x and turn blue. However does as there is no visual indicator on a controller does this mean you have to remember or make a note of all the functions that you sef up?

Whereas I assume using software. On a laptop you can ^see^ what the function is and then click and drag to use it?

The faders on hardware controllers can command intensities, attributes, “presets” - basically a preprogrammed static scene, and sequences/chases to name a few.  Whether a controller can handle some or all of the above will depend on the controller.  My “big” board can assign about 20 difference things to its faders.  Some controllers can only handle one or two.  Either way, you normally don’t drive moving lights in 100% manual mode during a show.  Even when busking you usually call upon preprogrammed groups/presets/sequences that you layer together.  Occasionally I might manually command a color or gobo to a set of moving lights, but that’s as far as I’ll go (and even then that group has already been programmed to accept such commands on the fly).  The point I’m getting at is that no matter what you choose there will be some degree of programming that’s needed ahead of time to make things work.

Faders on software will, again, depend on the software.  You can usually label faders and execute buttons on a software controller to some extent just like you can (with spike tape) on a hardware controller, but keep in mind that you normally don’t have moving light attributes on faders to begin with (on software and big boards).  Those are usually commanded via encoders or direct selects when programming and executes when playing back - terminology depending on the flavor of console.  You can put attributes on faders if you really want to, but make sure your software has it set up to act on “LTP” and not “HTP” - essentially that the latest command executed takes precedence even if its “0-255” value is lower than what’s currently running. 

I’m not sure if this really helps you, so the short answer is “maybe” and “sort of”.  The best advice I can probably offer is download the demo for a few different software controllers and play with them a little.  Watch their YouTube tutorials along with overview/programming videos for a few hardware boards.  After which, buy whatever you think you can succeed on!  Good luck!

Bart Jansari

« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2018, 10:58:35 AM »

The pan invert is only for movement.  Master and slave will still have the same colors, gobos and tilt movement.  Only the pan will be mirrored.  I realize you only have two lights now, but I anticipate you will be adding more.  We call it "GAS" - Gear Acquisition Syndrome.  One of many DMX interfaces is the ADJ "My DMX Buddy".  The software download is free and there are YouTube instruction videos on its operation.
Are you using my dmx 2.0 with the my dmx buddy?

I've had a good look at this on YouTube and looks simple to use. I think it would be a good intro for me. If I end up deciding to get a lot more lights I could look to upgrade but I think this should give me what I need to start with.

I'd look to get the Akai LPD8 midi controller too to map with this.

Im unclear where to get the software from though?
The my dmx buddy is just the interface right to get usb output into dmx?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2018, 12:14:37 PM »

Are you using my dmx 2.0 with the my dmx buddy?

I've had a good look at this on YouTube and looks simple to use. I think it would be a good intro for me. If I end up deciding to get a lot more lights I could look to upgrade, but I think this should give me what I need to start with.

I'd look to get the Akai LPD8 midi controller too to map with this.

I'm unclear where to get the software from though?
The My dmx buddy is just the interface right to get USB output into DMX?

You can download the software from here under "downloads."
https://www.adj.com/mydmx-2-0

The "my Dmx buddy" is probably to enable output from the software & serve to connect your lights.

Note: there is a newer version 3: https://www.adj.com/mydmx-3

Disclaimer: I do not use MyDMX. I am regurgitating info from their website.

---

How'd your event on Sat go?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 12:20:54 PM by Nathan Riddle »
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Bart Jansari

« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2018, 01:09:35 PM »

You can download the software from here under "downloads."
https://www.adj.com/mydmx-2-0

The "my Dmx buddy" is probably to enable output from the software & serve to connect your lights.

Note: there is a newer version 3: https://www.adj.com/mydmx-3

Disclaimer: I do not use MyDMX. I am regurgitating info from their website.

---

How'd your event on Sat go?
Thanks a bunch for that I was missing it.

The event on Saturday went well kinda . Got some good basic movements out of the lights and the pan tilt and inverse all worked well in master and slave mode. However I had placed the lights on top of the speakers and secured them with bungy cords. But towards the end of the night i noticed that the lights had moved backwards towards the edge of the speaker so we quickly took them off.

A solution im going to use is to mount them on a speaker stand using a rhino multi clamp that I've seen done and place them just behind me which I think will make the set up "look better" too.

What can you suggest in terms of a usb to dmx interface. When I'm looking on Amazon I can see so many it feels like I am shooting in the dark as I'm not sure whether one is better than the other I mentioned my DMX buddy as someone on the forum and mentioned it

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2018, 01:21:44 PM »

They seem to have a confusing series of software.

Here's a PDF of all the different software licenses & hardware capabilities.

http://cdb-cdn.adj.com/ItemRelatedFiles/10527/MyDMX%20upgrades.pdf

To me, it seems that you have to buy the hardware:
https://www.kpodj.com/american-dj-mydmx-3-0-p-107932/

That gets you 512 live channels  & 12 DMX channels (stand alone) [whatever that is??]

Then version 2 is free. But it is $89 to go to version 3 (full: 3D + midi)

Hopefully that helps

---

I prefer Jands Vista's strategy, free software, hardware dongle for channel count (128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048, 4096, etc), and ArtNet node or sACN node (ethernet) or hardware board that plugs in USB for output.
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Bart Jansari

« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2018, 02:04:43 PM »

Bugger I'm even more confused

So are we saying for me to use the my dmx software I to buy their dongle?
From what I saw it was $300?

Taylor Hall

« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2018, 05:18:59 PM »

Pretty much. Any big name like Chauvet or ADJ makes their software only work with their hardware. That's why you're better off going with independent software and hardware as it's usually cheaper in the long run and gives you way more versatility in both features and channel/universe count.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Bart Jansari

« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2018, 05:29:39 PM »

Pretty much. Any big name like Chauvet or ADJ makes their software only work with their hardware. That's why you're better off going with independent software and hardware as it's usually cheaper in the long run and gives you way more versatility in both features and channel/universe count.
What would you suggest then?

What I think i would like to do is create probably about 8 scenes if that.

Use a button of some sort (midi controller etc) to control them in live.

I liked my dmx 2.0 as it seemed very easy to use such as it showed all the attributes of the light and within the scene builder made it easy to manipulate the lights

Do we think that if i wanted to use the my dmx software I would be able to use and adj controller?

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2018, 06:41:40 PM »

So are we saying for me to use the my dmx software I to buy their dongle?
From what I saw it was $300?

Yes.  While some mainstream lighting programs allow for third party interfaces, MyDMX isn't one of them.  You'll need to buy one of the ADJ interfaces to use their software.  I'm not sure if you need the $300 interface, but you'll need to understand the differences between the interfaces and which version of the software each one is compatible.  As mentioned earlier, ADJ's ecosystem is nonstandard and not 100% intercompatible.  I wouldn't recommend it for those reasons (and more), but if you like it there's nothing inherently wrong with using it.

Any big name like Chauvet or ADJ makes their software only work with their hardware.

I disagree.  Both MagicQ PC and M-PC, made by companies far beyond the caliber of ADJ and Chauvet, support third party interfaces.  Both are professional control software, and the Enttec DMX-USB Pro is an example of such an interface that will work with either one.  Both programs can be downloaded and used for free so long as you can live within the restrictions of the third party interface compatibility.  The marketing plan is that you'll learn and like the software to the point you buy the more capable interfaces and programming wings sold by ChamSys and Martin/Elation/Obsidian(?).  From the success of MagicQ PC and M-PC, I'd say that strategy works quite well.  This method also has resulted in a very wide userbase that can help you navigate through issues you encounter with the software.  In contrast, the ADJ forums are all but dead, so I wouldn't expect much help from them.   

What would you suggest then?

As mentioned by a few of us further up, I'd suggest you download the free demos for software you might be interested in (and then buy the required interface for the one you choose), or look into a low-cost hardware board.  Any of these options will work for you, but you're going to need to do some product research to find the right thing for your needs. 

Bart Jansari

« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2018, 06:57:35 PM »

Thanks for that

Having looked at my dmx it seems that programming the lights is not as daunting as I thought it would be.

Now I understand a bit more about the limitations I'll have a look at magicq pc and my pc as I'm sure there will be some decent online tutorials.

How do I know what is compatible with this?

Am I understanding this correct , if I get a hardware controller then that is my connectivity to the lights sorted? I would also connect this to the laptop to do all my programming but then in live I would just run direct from the board and map my scenes etc to buttons/faders on the board?
If I don't have a controller then I have to find a method for connectivity such as the emtec interface you mentioned.
I then need to decide if in live I control direct from the laptop or get a midi controller like the akai?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2018, 06:57:35 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 20 queries.