ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Small Outdoor Speakers - Alternative to JBL Control 23/25  (Read 2505 times)

Sean Phillips

Small Outdoor Speakers - Alternative to JBL Control 23/25
« on: August 02, 2018, 04:05:21 PM »

The JBL Contractor series has a huge range of form-factors and sizes, which is really useful, but I would love a step up in sound quality.  I'm not finding much to compete with the Control 23 and 25 at the smaller end though (options with < 5" depth and < 6" depth respectively).

I'm looking for recommendations on product lines to look into.  70V and low impedance are both of interest.  What have you heard that you like?

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Small Outdoor Speakers - Alternative to JBL Control 23/25
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 04:10:56 PM »

The JBL Contractor series has a huge range of form-factors and sizes, which is really useful, but I would love a step up in sound quality.  I'm not finding much to compete with the Control 23 and 25 at the smaller end though (options with < 5" depth and < 6" depth respectively).

I'm looking for recommendations on product lines to look into.  70V and low impedance are both of interest.  What have you heard that you like?

Danley Nano
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 06:53:16 PM »

Tannoy
Fulcrum

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2018, 09:55:23 PM »

One Systems
Renkus
Martin

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2018, 12:24:50 AM »

I've been looking for a new commercial line. I've used Tannoy for years. The new AMS DC line sounds OK but not as good as the i-AW line was. The packaging and mounting system is great for installing them quickly with the included yoke, though. I've put several AMS in installs out here and they've weathered the desert well, so far. Not real crazy about MG order fulfillment right now.

I heard the Danley Pico and Nano at InfoComm and they sound fantastic. The new e-class from VUE Audiotechnik sounds amazing but they're expensive and requires VUEdrive DSP amplifiers or Qsys to get the most out of them. The VUE i-series sounds great, as well but aren't for outdoor use. Electro-Voice EVID line sounds great, as well, and there are tons of models. RCF has a huge commercial lineup but I have not heard any of the speakers yet.

Any of these are a big step up in SQ in my opinion. I don't think any of those will compete with the JBL price wise, though.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 12:27:48 AM by Tim Hite »
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2018, 01:41:32 AM »

Community
QSC
EV Evid
Sonance Pro-series
Klipsch Pro

and don’t forget Bose (They have their issues, but the name makes it an easy sell and if deployed properly they actually work ok)
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2018, 01:05:35 PM »

Martin CDD is the other one I forgot to list earlier.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Sean Phillips

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2018, 07:13:04 PM »

I want to thank everybody for the suggestions, I've found a lot of good stuff browsing all these product lines! 

Caleb, thanks for your suggestion to check out Fulcrum.  Their lineup is really good and they had uncommonly good tech support when I called.  The speakers also have a very solid IP rating when you buy them with the weather-proofing.

Cheers all!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2018, 07:13:04 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.