ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question on edge blending  (Read 3164 times)

Matt Davis

Question on edge blending
« on: August 01, 2018, 04:25:57 PM »

My church is getting a new projection system. Our desired screen size is 90” by 280”, and a throw distance is 16’, so we’ll have to use edge blending.
A consultant from the place we’re gonna purchase from said this is possible with 2 Sony VPL-PHZ10s.
He said each would give us a size of 90” by 144” for a total width of 288”, with 8 of those inches being used for the blend.
I thought you needed more than that for a blend, but I really don’t know much about projectors. Is this possible?

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
Re: Question on edge blending
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 05:02:07 PM »

After fitzing with our edge blended setup that is 2x 4:3 projectors to make 16:9 for many days. I'd say you need more than 8"

I'd also say you need geometric correction, because aligning the projectors is a pain manually.
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Matt Davis

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 12:08:13 AM »

What is the typical minimum percentage to overlap for edge blending.

Jordan Wolf

Question on edge blending
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2018, 12:41:57 AM »

After fitzing with our edge blended setup that is 2x 4:3 projectors to make 16:9 for many days. I'd say you need more than 8"
Yeah, 8” isn’t too much of a blend region; try shooting for a minimum of 10% of the entire display width.

I'd also say you need geometric correction, because aligning the projectors is a pain manually.
I totally disagree on this point. Your screens and projectors need to be very carefully aligned for a visually-seamless blend. Geometric correction such as keystoning, pincushioning, warping, etc. will skew your image by lowering light output and smearing parts of the image between pixels instead of remaining pixel-accurate/unscaled.
--Airport Circle Sound Reinforcement, LLC--

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2018, 08:48:26 AM »

I totally disagree on this point. Your screens and projectors need to be very carefully aligned for a visually-seamless blend. Geometric correction such as keystoning, pincushioning, warping, etc. will skew your image by lowering light output and smearing parts of the image between pixels instead of remaining pixel-accurate/unscaled.

You manually adjust the projectors so they are perfectly aligned?

Get them 98% there manually yes, but that last 2% is a nightmare to get correct.

Have you looked at resolume or panasonic's (IIRC) 3d pixel mapping?

The software pixel mapping is very good. It also eliminates the 6hrs of alignment headache needed to get that last 1.9% And even then isn't perfect.
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2018, 08:48:26 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.