ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LED Par can replacement - light the talent!  (Read 1115 times)

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
LED Par can replacement - light the talent!
« on: July 30, 2018, 03:58:39 pm »

Hi all.

Looking for recommendations for a decent LED par can that I can use to light the stage.  Currently using 750 watt par cans. My LEDs just don't produce a good white. They are fine for random color stuff.  Last time I looked, which was a few years ago, anything that could compete with my 750 watt par cans was stupid expensive. Any good recommendations out there? 

Brian Jojade

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
Re: LED Par can replacement - light the talent!
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 05:01:43 pm »

Not knowing how much "stupid expensive" is, you might look at the ADJ PAR ZP 3K or 5K.  I have 8 of the 3K versions and have found them to be both bright and versatile.  They "zoom" from about VNSP to MFL or wider with less than 2 amps of draw.  I've use them lighting graduation stages with a 75' throw from the catwalk and as individual specials from a truss 15' away.

Caleb Dueck

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 09:40:00 pm »

Chauvet E260 nails it

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Brian Jojade

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2018, 05:50:39 pm »

Not knowing how much "stupid expensive" is, you might look at the ADJ PAR ZP 3K or 5K.  I have 8 of the 3K versions and have found them to be both bright and versatile.  They "zoom" from about VNSP to MFL or wider with less than 2 amps of draw.  I've use them lighting graduation stages with a 75' throw from the catwalk and as individual specials from a truss 15' away.

This is getting close to what I'm looking for.  Considering regular par cans with lamps can be had for around $50, it's hard to justify spending over $1K to replace them with LEDs.
Brian Jojade

Caleb Dueck

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2018, 06:35:19 pm »

This is getting close to what I'm looking for.  Considering regular par cans with lamps can be had for around $50, it's hard to justify spending over $1K to replace them with LEDs.
New incandescent fixtures plus dimmers plus extra lamps plus electricity - costs more than new LED. 

The Slim Par Pro W is a better comparison to white par cans and dimmer. 

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Jeremy Young

• Audio Production: Live Concerts & Special Events
    • Brown Bear Sound
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2018, 07:27:32 pm »

Why the switch to LED?  Do you want less load on your HVAC system?  Less power draw?  Options for colours other than white?

If power/heat/replacement lamp inventory and weight are not an issue for you, it's still hard to beat conventional tungsten for front wash with any sort of LED without spending big bucks (like the E260WW).

I have a long-ish thread discussing this very thing ("making a plan for a lighting upgrade").  I need a portable (compact/light weight) front-wash with low power consumption, and was looking for something IP65 rated and with some colour-mixing capabilities to make it a more flexible addition to my compact (1-person with van focused more on sound that lighting) inventory. 

I've just pulled the trigger on some Elation Seven Par 7IP fixtures (sight unseen) but I won't see them until fall.  I'll update that thread when I've got them in my hands with my thoughts.  They've published some pretty comprehensive photometric data that takes a lot of the guesswork away when trying to compare lighting specs.
Brown Bear Sound
Victoria BC Canada
High Efficiency - High Fidelity - High Portability

Brian Jojade

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2018, 02:47:25 am »

I've got lots of PAR cans and dimmers already.  For bigger shows, bringing out the dimmer rack and rigging power doesn't add that much to a show.  However, for the smaller gigs, not having to pull heavy power cords or deal with dimmer racks would be very handy.  The trick is finding something that does a good job lighting the stage without looking horrible, yet being reasonably priced is the challenge.

An added bonus would be something more compact than a traditional par can.  The slim par pro looks intriguing from that regard.  The ADJ PAR ZP 3K says they perform like a 1000 watt par can, which would be ideal, but wouldn't offer any space savings for the fixtures.  How does the slimpar pro stack up in brightness?
Brian Jojade

Jeremy Young

• Audio Production: Live Concerts & Special Events
    • Brown Bear Sound
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2018, 07:30:38 pm »

So size and power savings are the goals, gotcha. 

The Slimpar Pro H spec sheet lists 3,218 lux at 2m, with a 24 degree beam angle and 41 degree field angle.
What's hard to know is, how does it look at "full on" and is that acceptable?

This is why I really like the specs on the Elation Seven Par 7IP.  Go to their site, download the test reports.  They have a different file for each colour individually, plus all full-on, plus all full-on without the UV (10 files total).  Each sheet details the colour temp, brightness, CRI, etc.  This allowed me to confidently determine these fixtures would suit my specific needs without having ever tested them (I'm pretty far removed from most vendors to be able to test anything first).

The 7IP at Full-on no UV, at 2m is rated at 6,885 lux, with a beam angle of 16.2 degrees and field angle of 32.1 degrees, with a colour temp of 15,910k and CRI of 73.6

Hard to beat that level of detail on a spec sheet at that price level.  The best CRI rating seems to be 90.4 with a colour temp of 3,797k, giving you 5,366 lux at 2m.

Comparing that against a par can....  let's take for example the ETC Source 4 Par EA, with medium flood lens and 750w bulb since you haven't specified what you have in your inventory.  Rated lux is 6,467 at 4.6m (they don't list anything closer range than that).  That's with a beam angle of 13 degrees vertical/18 horizontal, and field angle of 23 degrees vertical/31 horizontal. 

One takes 750 watts of power and an external dimmer to control it, the other is 185 watts max and IP65 rated with built-in DMX.  Pricing from BH-Photo as of today shows $640 USD for the Elation, and $273 USD for the ETC (plus bulb and dimmer).

Hope at least some of that was helpful.
Brown Bear Sound
Victoria BC Canada
High Efficiency - High Fidelity - High Portability

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2018, 07:30:38 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 24 queries.