ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Prx to srx800?  (Read 11546 times)

Steve Garris

Re: Prx to srx800?
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2018, 03:35:42 PM »

Cool, your running prx 818 powered and srx 815 passive? Didn't like the srx 818sp?

Hmm - don't think I said that?

I use the following (full model numbers):
PRX615M over PRX618xlf
SRX815P over SRX818SP

And no, I love the 818SP!

Bob Kidd

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2018, 03:44:01 PM »

Hmm - don't think I said that?

I use the following (full model numbers):
PRX615M over PRX618xlf
SRX815P over SRX818SP

And no, I love the 818SP!

Sorry my mistake. Do you find the 815 out running sub or are you using 4 subs and 2 tops?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 03:51:43 PM by Bob Kidd »

Brian Charbobs

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2018, 07:15:24 PM »

Can confirm on SRX800P, I don't own a rig but I've heard the 835's and 828's on quite a few occasions on outdoor shows. Really good pick if you got space and manpower. SRX800P can compete and possibly outperform EV ETX and QSC KW, not sure on Yamaha DZR since it's not released yet.
.  I sold my PRX speakers and only use the SRX812P. They are the best speakers I have ever owned. Yes, a heavier speaker at 56 Pounds, a little bigger, but great punch and clarity. But that is just my opinion. Have not heard the Yamaha, or other popular brands, except QSC, which I did not like the sound at all. But QSC customer service is second to none.A+
Friends don't let friends use Behringer

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2018, 08:28:16 PM »

I had the original PRX 500 series and recently took inventory of the SRX812SP and SRX818SP. The PRX line is no slouch and sounds darn good. The SRX line is simply better in all regards though. While the overall sound difference isn't that much, it's what happens when pushed and and the sheer output of the SRX that sets it apart. The SRX simply sounds great while at performance levels and stays that way all the way until the end of the line. When the speakers processing starts to do its job, it does so without killing the sound, or being very obvious. Needless to say the SRX has worked wondrously for me and they just seem to run at idle for most of my needs.

While the QSC options are not my first choice, they aren't my last. I am not a fan of the K series. It is a plastic box and to me they perform like a plastic box would. The KW series isn't much better. QSC has a " sound " to them and I am not a fan of it. Heck even their Wideline stuff has a sound to it I don't care for. They work well, but that's about the best I can give it.

There isn't an EV product line I have worked with that I wasn't happy with. All of their stuff just seems to be well rounded and the performance to dollar amount has always been good. I own a set of the EV ZX1's and still to this day believe they are the best 8" speaker your money can get. I recently used both their ETX and their ZLX for monitors and they were both stellar. The ZLX was unique in that you could get well into the speakers limiting and essentially extract all the SPL the speaker was likely going to give you anyway, without feedback, and it sounded really nice and clear. The ETX was very much the same in that it simply had lots of volume before any problems arose and required very little EQ work beyond that to have plenty of level. Pretty much everything EV makes is the best performance to dollar amount.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Bob Kidd

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2018, 10:44:00 PM »

I had the original PRX 500 series and recently took inventory of the SRX812SP and SRX818SP. The PRX line is no slouch and sounds darn good. The SRX line is simply better in all regards though. While the overall sound difference isn't that much, it's what happens when pushed and and the sheer output of the SRX that sets it apart. The SRX simply sounds great while at performance levels and stays that way all the way until the end of the line. When the speakers processing starts to do its job, it does so without killing the sound, or being very obvious. Needless to say the SRX has worked wondrously for me and they just seem to run at idle for most of my needs.

While the QSC options are not my first choice, they aren't my last. I am not a fan of the K series. It is a plastic box and to me they perform like a plastic box would. The KW series isn't much better. QSC has a " sound " to them and I am not a fan of it. Heck even their Wideline stuff has a sound to it I don't care for. They work well, but that's about the best I can give it.

There isn't an EV product line I have worked with that I wasn't happy with. All of their stuff just seems to be well rounded and the performance to dollar amount has always been good. I own a set of the EV ZX1's and still to this day believe they are the best 8" speaker your money can get. I recently used both their ETX and their ZLX for monitors and they were both stellar. The ZLX was unique in that you could get well into the speakers limiting and essentially extract all the SPL the speaker was likely going to give you anyway, without feedback, and it sounded really nice and clear. The ETX was very much the same in that it simply had lots of volume before any problems arose and required very little EQ work beyond that to have plenty of level. Pretty much everything EV makes is the best performance to dollar amount.

You prefer 812 over 815?

Luke Geis

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2018, 12:08:30 AM »

I prefer 12" over 15" any day of the week. Unless you go with the SRX835P, I don't feel there is any benefit to the 15". The 15" is a bit larger than the 12" and it doesn't really perform any better. The 835 is another story. It is another step up ion terms of output, although it has essentially the same sonic characteristic and it is meant more for a larger stacked system where you use two mains per side to get 120* of coverage. The Coverage of the horns are very close to spec and the output of the speaker is not kidding around.

Bob Kidd

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2018, 11:23:43 AM »

I prefer 12" over 15" any day of the week. Unless you go with the SRX835P, I don't feel there is any benefit to the 15". The 15" is a bit larger than the 12" and it doesn't really perform any better. The 835 is another story. It is another step up ion terms of output, although it has essentially the same sonic characteristic and it is meant more for a larger stacked system where you use two mains per side to get 120* of coverage. The Coverage of the horns are very close to spec and the output of the speaker is not kidding around.

Thanks! Curious have you used the VRX system? Was contemplating those as well. Seems I could build on to that.

Steve Garris

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2018, 06:04:15 PM »

Sorry my mistake. Do you find the 815 out running sub or are you using 4 subs and 2 tops?

They will outrun the subs if you set the levels on both to max. I reduce the volume on the tops for nice, even and linear coverage. I am currently using only 1 single 18 per side, but my upgrade plan calls for adding another 18 per side - or getting the 218 single unit to run on one side. Having said that, the output of the single 18's is really good.

I prefer 15" two-way boxes over the 12" units. I had a wide system set up last week, with 2 boxes per side for coverage - (1) 15" PRX and (1) 12" DSR. Walking back and forth, both speakers sounded great but I loved the warm, low-mid coming from the 15" JBL a little better than the 12" DSR.

Luke Geis

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2018, 07:44:15 PM »

I have been using the VRX a lot lately and in fact set a system of them up today and will be using them in another couple weeks for another gig of mine. I don't particularly care for them, but they are well excepted and perform as they suggest. They are really meant to work in a full array. As a single box on a stick they are just not great sounding. Even with a pair on sticks they are a bit too shrill and not very warm sounding. Once you get three to four of them in a hang, they start to even out a little more and they work better.

The VRX is VERY OLD now and is likely on its way out the door, or at the very least due for an update. I would hold out a little longer to see where they go with them. They are not very light at 55lbs each and they are a little unruly for a single man to hang. They are more a team effort type of speaker. I think they are priced a little too high as well given their spec and performance. For $2,500 each they really should sound a little better. They have a lot of high end as is evidenced by their spec sheet. They even out after a full array of them is up, but it is still a little work to make them work.

I am not a fan of the QSC KLA array either, and for many of the same reasons.

Turbosound just released a version of what is essentially the VRX calle dthe Berlin, and I have heard good things about it. A little lighter, just about as loud and sounds MUCH better, is the feedback I have gotten.

Bob Kidd

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2018, 09:54:18 AM »

Thanks to everyone for responses. Torn between the 812 or 815. I'm used to the coverage and mids of a 15,  do you feel 12s would produce same result?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2018, 09:54:18 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 26 queries.