ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Prx to srx800?  (Read 11707 times)

Patrick Cognitore

Re: Prx to srx800?
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2018, 10:17:35 AM »

If you haven't seen this thread check it out, some of those details are parsed out.

http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php?topic=159065.0

Thanks to everyone for responses. Torn between the 812 or 815. I'm used to the coverage and mids of a 15,  do you feel 12s would produce same result?

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2018, 11:02:47 AM »

Thanks to everyone for responses. Torn between the 812 or 815. I'm used to the coverage and mids of a 15,  do you feel 12s would produce same result?

I've joined the camp that a 12" two-way is best until you get the crossover down around 1000Hz or even lower, which means a pretty expensive compression driver.
A 15" just gets too beamy when used up to a typical crossover frequency nearer 2000Hz. ..

If on-axis freq response looks really good on a 15" crossed near 2kHz, you gotta believe off-axis response is taking some real wobbles....

I don't think the srx812 and 815 powered show off-axis specs anymore, but I remember seeing them on the passive models, FWIW. 

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2018, 12:33:40 PM »

I own both the SRX812p and the SRX815p. I chose the 15"s when I first purchased my SRX800 series PA. This was probably due to the fact I was replacing my old SRX700 series PA and that was also 15's - it was what I was used to using.
However, a few months later, I came across a used mint pair of 12's that I couldn't pass up and I must say they are fantastic speakers. Now, I use the 12's inside and the 15's outside. Could I use the 12's outside and get as good results? - probably as there is only 1db difference between the two - but I like the sound of the 15's when used with my SRX818's and SRX828's.
Please refer to the link Patrick provides - a recent discussion comparing the 2.
I believe you could go either way but if weight and size matters - the 812 takes it.
Check out the DSR112 (or maybe wait to see what the new DZR brings ). These are my go to speakers for all the bars and small clubs. They are surprisingly good and match up well to the SRX812 at a much more affordable price tag.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Steve Garris

« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2018, 12:52:23 PM »

I've joined the camp that a 12" two-way is best until you get the crossover down around 1000Hz or even lower, which means a pretty expensive compression driver.
A 15" just gets too beamy when used up to a typical crossover frequency nearer 2000Hz. ..

If on-axis freq response looks really good on a 15" crossed near 2kHz, you gotta believe off-axis response is taking some real wobbles....

I don't think the srx812 and 815 powered show off-axis specs anymore, but I remember seeing them on the passive models, FWIW.

The 815p's are the most even, linear 90 deg speakers I've ever used. I use mine outside and the mid & high coverage is excellent, both on and off axis.

Scott Gaines

« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2018, 12:55:47 PM »

Wow, thank you guys for all of your input on the SRX800 series. I've been very proud of mine ever since I bought them, but lots of people look askance at JBL these days in favor of the seemingly more popular QSC.
I'm talking strictly on the MI level now. Most working bands and musicians I know have no idea about RCF or any of the other Pro-level brands out there.

It makes sense that JBL is not faring as well these days since nobody is reviewing these speakers on the big websites (musiciansfriend.com, Sweetwater, B&H, Amazon, etc...).
Google 'best powered PA speakers 2017 or 2018' and watch how QSC, Yamaha, and even Mackie of all brands garner all the attention and support.

Part of it is the fact that JBL's low end stuff is just garbage, and that people talk trash about the PRX line.

Most folks have no idea how good the SRX line is. Sure, it's pricey. But it's worth it! My SRX815Ps are fantastic.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2018, 03:24:35 PM »

SRX 700/800 series have always been the 'serious amateur/pro-sumer" product line that could be called entry-level professional.

In the "best of...." stuff it's all about who's buying advertising in the publications and which brands are currently most profitable for the retailers.  As we've discussed here many times, it's the listening.... the audition... of a speaker system in real-world use that tells us what we need to know.

The reality of professional and pro-sumer audio retailing is such that for many potential buyers it isn't possible to hear these products in realistic situations before making purchase decisions, hence the reliance on reviews (possibly fictitious, always possibly a fishing story) and so-called awards.

Caveat emptor.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2018, 06:05:12 PM »

SRX 700/800 series have always been the 'serious amateur/pro-sumer" product line that could be called entry-level professional.

In the "best of...." stuff it's all about who's buying advertising in the publications and which brands are currently most profitable for the retailers.  As we've discussed here many times, it's the listening.... the audition... of a speaker system in real-world use that tells us what we need to know.

The reality of professional and pro-sumer audio retailing is such that for many potential buyers it isn't possible to hear these products in realistic situations before making purchase decisions, hence the reliance on reviews (possibly fictitious, always possibly a fishing story) and so-called awards.

Caveat emptor.

Industry awards are useless.  If you look close they always say non-editorial advertiser content.  Best in show, etc.  These are what insiders call "pay to play award".

To my knowledge there are no independent audio product awards (or IT products).

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2018, 09:04:25 AM »

To my knowledge there are no independent audio product awards (or IT products).

I think "PSW Approved" badges would be good. It'd seriously sway my opinion about buying Product A vs Product B.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2018, 11:50:22 AM »

I think "PSW Approved" badges would be good. It'd seriously sway my opinion about buying Product A vs Product B.

Chris

PSW and the print publication LSI receive demo gear but I believe the reviews are as unbiased as a magazine that needs advert revenue to survive can be.

I have jokingly called Craig "I never wrote a bad review" Leerman purely out of humor and would love to see him start a review with "this product is so poorly executed I can't recommend it to anyone except my competitors, :-)

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Bob Kidd

« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2018, 12:03:20 PM »

Wow, thank you guys for all of your input on the SRX800 series. I've been very proud of mine ever since I bought them, but lots of people look askance at JBL these days in favor of the seemingly more popular QSC.
I'm talking strictly on the MI level now. Most working bands and musicians I know have no idea about RCF or any of the other Pro-level brands out there.

It makes sense that JBL is not faring as well these days since nobody is reviewing these speakers on the big websites (musiciansfriend.com, Sweetwater, B&H, Amazon, etc...).
Google 'best powered PA speakers 2017 or 2018' and watch how QSC, Yamaha, and even Mackie of all brands garner all the attention and support.

Part of it is the fact that JBL's low end stuff is just garbage, and that people talk trash about the PRX line.

Most folks have no idea how good the SRX line is. Sure, it's pricey. But it's worth it! My SRX815Ps are fantastic.

Thanks, since I'm taking the plunge. Wondering if it would make more sense to get the 828s w/ 15s insread of 818s that way could build on with 835s down the road? Sure I could fit 2 828s in most venues, if not then just go with my current prx 618s in the smaller rooms.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2018, 12:03:20 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 24 queries.