ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Prx to srx800?  (Read 4250 times)

Bob Kidd

Prx to srx800?
« on: July 30, 2018, 08:47:46 am »

Hi, for small to medium gigs I have been using PRX618s and 615s and for the most part happy with results. I have had few events that system was pushed to it's limit. Was thinking of moving to srx 800 series (828s and either 835s or 815s). My only concern would be weight and portability. The prx was pretty easy setup. Anyone out there utilize this setup? How is setup? Thanks!

Scott Gaines

Re: Prx to srx800?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 10:18:30 am »

My rig consists of 18" PRX 8 subs and SRX815p tops. The SRX815 are great sounding high powered speakers, perfect for small to medium sized corporate events. But they are big & bulky. They tend to take up a lot of vehicle space. Kinda overkill for smaller bar gigs.
I recently picked up a pair of the new QSC K12.2 and I'm excited about using them instead of the SRX815 for small gigs.

I've played shows through SRX835p, and those things positively ROCK. But they are HUGE, and impossible to manage without another set of hands. But for larger stages, these speakers are amazing. Just need to find a stage hand with a strong back to help move em around.

Bob Kidd

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 10:25:08 am »

My rig consists of 18" PRX 8 subs and SRX815p tops. The SRX815 are great sounding high powered speakers, perfect for small to medium sized corporate events. But they are big & bulky. They tend to take up a lot of vehicle space. Kinda overkill for smaller bar gigs.
I recently picked up a pair of the new QSC K12.2 and I'm excited about using them instead of the SRX815 for small gigs.

I've played shows through SRX835p, and those things positively ROCK. But they are HUGE, and impossible to manage without another set of hands. But for larger stages, these speakers are amazing. Just need to find a stage hand with a strong back to help move em around.

Thanks Scott, your using prx 618xlfs with the 815s?

Thomas Le

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 10:37:39 am »

Can confirm on SRX800P, I don't own a rig but I've heard the 835's and 828's on quite a few occasions on outdoor shows. Really good pick if you got space and manpower. SRX800P can compete and possibly outperform EV ETX and QSC KW, not sure on Yamaha DZR since it's not released yet.

Scott Gaines

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2018, 11:02:22 am »

Thanks Scott, your using prx 618xlfs with the 815s?
PRX818XLFW

Scott Gaines

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2018, 11:06:26 am »

Can confirm on SRX800P, I don't own a rig but I've heard the 835's and 828's on quite a few occasions on outdoor shows. Really good pick if you got space and manpower. SRX800P can compete and possibly outperform EV ETX and QSC KW, not sure on Yamaha DZR since it's not released yet.
IMO JBL SRX800 outperforms all other MI level sound rigs. It's basically a starter Pro system.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2018, 11:50:25 am »

We field a very large inventory of QSC gear and my opinion (popular arong here) is the Yamaha DSX112 eats the K,K2 and KW for lunch.  I will never buy another K.  We are pushing all of our KW112's to monitor duty and using DSR and KW153's for mains.  I am not even sure the KW153's are a step up from the DSR's.

The SRX812 is a bulky speaker for a 2 way box.  I would go with the DSR's and consider the SRX835's for the next step up. 
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman
River Delta Audio is now:

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Bob Kidd

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2018, 12:35:22 pm »

We field a very large inventory of QSC gear and my opinion (popular arong here) is the Yamaha DSX112 eats the K,K2 and KW for lunch.  I will never buy another K.  We are pushing all of our KW112's to monitor duty and using DSR and KW153's for mains.  I am not even sure the KW153's are a step up from the DSR's.

The SRX812 is a bulky speaker for a 2 way box.  I would go with the DSR's and consider the SRX835's for the next step up.

Thanks! I do currently use srx700 series on larger gigs but wanted more portable system with a little extra then what prx system gives me. The 828s are 20lbs lighter but still maybe much to handle. Possibly the 818s w/ 815. Also, contemplating VRX system. Will also look at DSR.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 02:00:58 pm by Bob Kidd »

Steve Garris

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2018, 02:10:57 pm »

Hi, for small to medium gigs I have been using PRX618s and 615s and for the most part happy with results. I have had few events that system was pushed to it's limit. Was thinking of moving to srx 800 series (828s and either 835s or 815s). My only concern would be weight and portability. The prx was pretty easy setup. Anyone out there utilize this setup? How is setup? Thanks!

Bob, you are considering exactly what I did. I have the 615 over 618 PRX system, and find it excellent in a small or medium rooms. I do an outdoor concert in the park series here locally, and wanted something with more horsepower, but still capable of fitting in my minivan. I purchased the SRX 815's over the single 818's. They can certainly go much louder and sound a bit better as well - no regrets. As others have mentioned the downside is the weight. I need help getting my SRX box up on a pole, but the PRX is a breeze. Regarding bulk, I find no real difference, except the SRX boxes are taller which is not an issue for me. The form-factor on the subs was a little difficult at first (low & wide), but I solved that by putting rubber feet on the sides of the subs, allowing me to easily hand truck them. They're a little harder to get in & out of the van but the extra output is worth it.

When I purchased the SRX boxes I placed ad's and almost sold my PRX stuff (part of my original plan), but boy I'm glad I didn't! I still use the PRX system 90% of the time as it is so much easier to deploy. YMMV

Bob Kidd

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2018, 03:15:07 pm »

Bob, you are considering exactly what I did. I have the 615 over 618 PRX system, and find it excellent in a small or medium rooms. I do an outdoor concert in the park series here locally, and wanted something with more horsepower, but still capable of fitting in my minivan. I purchased the SRX 815's over the single 818's. They can certainly go much louder and sound a bit better as well - no regrets. As others have mentioned the downside is the weight. I need help getting my SRX box up on a pole, but the PRX is a breeze. Regarding bulk, I find no real difference, except the SRX boxes are taller which is not an issue for me. The form-factor on the subs was a little difficult at first (low & wide), but I solved that by putting rubber feet on the sides of the subs, allowing me to easily hand truck them. They're a little harder to get in & out of the van but the extra output is worth it.

When I purchased the SRX boxes I placed ad's and almost sold my PRX stuff (part of my original plan), but boy I'm glad I didn't! I still use the PRX system 90% of the time as it is so much easier to deploy. YMMV

Cool, your running prx 818 powered and srx 815 passive? Didn't like the srx 818sp?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2018, 03:15:07 pm »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.