ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wet cables  (Read 2166 times)

Ryan McLeod

Wet cables
« on: July 29, 2018, 06:05:03 PM »

I’ve been Lucky more often than not when it comes to large outdoor events and festivals, it’s a rare we ever see too much water and can usually protect against it reasonably.

My team is wrapping in event now where we know we’ve been waterlog – lots of power cable and XL Lucky more often than not when it comes to large outdoor events and festivals, it’s rare we have received too much water and can usually protect against it reasonably.

My team is wrapping in event now where we know we’ve been waterlog – lots of powercon and XLR  has been rained on on and off for the last few days.

After we get all the gear back to the shop, soak up any excess water and let the cases air out, If anybody has it vice on how to prevent corrosion I’d love to hear it!

Should everything get a shot of WD-40?

John Sulek

• Toronto Canada
Re: Wet cables
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 06:59:00 PM »

After we get all the gear back to the shop, soak up any excess water and let the cases air out, If anybody has it vice on how to prevent corrosion I’d love to hear it!

As one who has been not so lucky more than once...
 if things are really soaked, spin the collars back on a few of the powercon/xlr and see if it's wet inside the shell. Yes? then open it up and air dry. ( a heat gun on low or fan only can help, or a large shop fan)
 WD-40 should be fine on the electrical stuff. I would be more into using a swab and Deoxit (tiny amounts) wiped on the xlr pins.
 The contact areas and pins of these connectors are plated and fairly resistant to water if wiped off. It's  any bare copper that will tarnish first. and you don't want moisture sitting around in the backshells.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 12:54:40 AM »

Get a dehumidifier.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

John Daniluk (JD)

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 08:55:37 AM »

DO NOT use wd-40 on the ac or xlr.....We usually wipe down the cables and set out for a few days, have not had any problems.   The xlr F ends need to be blown out with compressed air.   Camlock  may get some water in them but they may be  hard to take apart to check (old style).
jd

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2018, 12:25:45 PM »

Quality cables are pretty resilient to getting wet.  Stuff with soldered ends such as XLRs should be no problem at all.  Cables with crimp ends such as network cables are more likely to have problems.

If it's just water, it'll usually evaporate and there's no problem.  Corrosion happens when you introduce other chemicals into the mix. 

The best thing to do is to get the water and everything else pushed out of the connections.  For this, isopropyl alcohol does a great job.  Get high concentration alcohol and dip the connectors in that and let dry.  That should be all that you need to do.
Brian Jojade

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2018, 06:12:42 AM »

I’ve been Lucky more often than not when it comes to large outdoor events and festivals, it’s a rare we ever see too much water and can usually protect against it reasonably.

My team is wrapping in event now where we know we’ve been waterlog – lots of power cable and XL Lucky more often than not when it comes to large outdoor events and festivals, it’s rare we have received too much water and can usually protect against it reasonably.

My team is wrapping in event now where we know we’ve been waterlog – lots of powercon and XLR  has been rained on on and off for the last few days.

My last real deluge, we followed with a day with everything laid out on a stage with old school par cans.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

Mike Monte

• My website
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2018, 07:25:39 AM »

My last real deluge, we followed with a day with everything laid out on a stage with old school par cans.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

A variation of the above: A day in the sun for my cables usually does the trick for wet (due, mist) cables.  For "after deluge" situations I follow up with contact cleaner on the connectors..

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2018, 07:25:39 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 25 queries.