ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 3.5mm TRS computer audio input wiring fiasco...  (Read 5007 times)

Doug McFadzen

Re: 3.5mm TRS computer audio input wiring fiasco...
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2018, 05:23:14 PM »

I don't think you could accurately call the output from this device stereo.  I'd go with your first description.

I work for RDL.

Tom and David are correct. The TX-A2 passively converts a balanced mono signal to unbalanced dual mono.

FYI: The TX-J2 passively converts unbalanced stereo to balanced mono.

http://www.rdlnet.com/product.php?page=164
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 05:26:12 PM by Doug McFadzen »

Doug Johnson

• Rhoadesville, VA
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2018, 12:40:47 PM »

I had this type of issue come up lately as well.  A municipal customer had the cities IT dept install a wireless music system through out the downtown area.  They also decided that it would be nice if they could input the audio during the concerts they put on so that it can be broadcast throughout the area.  So, I so up for a show and they inform me their great idea.  They show me the transmitter (with out and information or manual).  I see an XLR input, no problem.  I plug in a send from the board, no sound.  An hour and a half of troubleshooting later,  I figure out that the input in unbalanced stereo on an xlr.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2018, 01:00:40 PM »

This is basic stereo audio source -> sink 101.

It's sad that AV integrators don't know proper interconnections. Makes me wonder what else they don't know...

I've gotten quite keen on detecting inverted polarity issues with my ears.

Dan, you might not want to directly wire both L & R outputs to the same input. It might work fine for now, but it stresses the opamp outputs by driving a low impedance device (the other output).

https://www.rane.com/note109.html

Here is the rule: Outputs are low impedance and must only be connected to high impedance inputs -- never, never tie two outputs directly together -- never. If you do, then each output tries to drive the very low impedance of the other, forcing both outputs into current-limit and possible damage. As a minimum, severe signal loss results.
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2018, 01:00:40 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 25 queries.