ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Acceptable deviation between boxes?  (Read 6211 times)

boburtz

• SR Forums
  • San Francisco Bay Area
    • SoundWizard Productions
Acceptable deviation between boxes?
« on: July 24, 2018, 03:41:04 PM »

I measured transfer functions of 16 KF730 boxes individually, each with the exact same measurement conditions. I am curious as to what is an acceptable variance box to box for stuff like this. Is there a standard?  They average out to something close to the published EAW spec, but individually there are some variations that seem to be pretty large.  Does this look normal? If not, do you have any idea what could be causing this or a suggested solution?

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
Re: Acceptable deviation between boxes?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2018, 03:49:33 PM »

I measured transfer functions of 16 KF730 boxes individually, each with the exact same measurement conditions. I am curious as to what is an acceptable variance box to box for stuff like this. Is there a standard?  They average out to something close to the published EAW spec, but individually there are some variations that seem to be pretty large.  Does this look normal? If not, do you have any idea what could be causing this or a suggested solution?

I believe Ivan has spoke about individual components' tolerances are sometimes swings of 3dB. Could explain the 6dB discrepancy between two farthest deviated components?
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2018, 03:51:49 PM »

Oh and you've obviously been around via your post count, so I'm assuming the name is Bob Urtz and admins are fine? Threw me for a loop for a sec   ;D
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 04:21:24 PM »

I would be interested to see the complex impedance curves of these boxes as well, so see if there is corresponding differences there too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2018, 05:01:28 PM »

It comes down to cost... When boxes are intended to be arrayed there is an ASSumption that they will match reasonably well to play together nicely.

I went through this last century with Peavey dealers being unable to convince them why the more expensive drivers required for boxes meant for being arrayed were justified over the otherwise similar boxes playing by themselves, where tolerance matching was not as important.

JR

PS: Of course I have no specific information about those exact boxes, just in general.

PPS: I am not the speaker guy here. I just know a little about a lot.
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2018, 06:36:09 PM »

This is not specific to this model, but if these were purchased in different lots at different times there could be different brands and models of drivers.  How many versions of the KF850 were made?  Kudos to EAW for trying to keep improving the product.  Drivers do age, and not every box may go out on every show, so they may not have all seem the same use (or abuse).

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2018, 11:33:39 PM »

Oh and you've obviously been around via your post count, so I'm assuming the name is Bob Urtz and admins are fine? Threw me for a loop for a sec   ;D

Bob has been around for at least 2 iterations of the PSW forums....
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2018, 01:45:58 AM »

Man Nate you are going to shit yourself of Abdhul EQ shows up.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2018, 09:28:43 AM »

Man Nate you are going to shit yourself of Abdhul EQ shows up.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
Careful if we repeat his name 3x the dessert wanderer may chime in.... 8) 

but that is not a bad thing to receive his wisdom from the sands of time.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2018, 04:50:18 PM »

Careful if we repeat his name 3x the dessert wanderer may chime in.... 8) 

but that is not a bad thing to receive his wisdom from the sands of time.

JR

It's about time for him to surface from the sandstorms, was Dec 2015 when he last checked in.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2018, 04:50:18 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 25 queries.