ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Limiter Settings  (Read 250 times)

Ben Easler

Limiter Settings
« on: July 19, 2018, 09:22:38 pm »

Hi All,
Just trying to make sure I am setting up my DSP limiters to what is considered standard practice if there is one. I have read some of the old posts and found some conflicting or confusing to me information at times. I am working with Renkus Heinz speakers and mostly Crown CTS 2000/1200 amps which have their own limiting/protection for the amps.

As an example, I am installing front fills currently to the system. They are three RH CX62. Here are the specs: https://www.renkus-heinz.com/cx/ca62
These ones are the exception as far as the amps, using Dynacord CF1300: https://www.dynacord.com/product.php?id=2629

Looking at this calculator https://www.funktion-one.com/settings/limiter-calculator/
It looks like my limiter should be at 3 db. Does that sound right?
I used 150 w AES, 8 ohm, 3 speakers, 32 db gain getting these numbers from manufacturer specs.
What about attack and release times though? Do you do something what RH suggests below with multiple attack/releases? This would require setting multiple limiters on my dsp and most I have seen...

Also, in their DSP guide, Renkus recommends sending a sine wave straight to the amp with the speakers disconnected and following this guide (Copy/paste from manual). Any advice appreciated:

Settingng limiters
Loudspeaker limiting is not an exact science. There is always a balancing act between protecting the loudspeakers while also letting them reach their full output potential. Audio signals are dynamic in nature, with typically high ratios of peak to RMS voltages.
Any amplifier capable of fully powering a loudspeaker in the short term has plenty of power to blow it up if pushed too hard. The following procedure will give reasonable protection to the loudspeakers, but it is not foolproof. Renkus-Heinz does not warrant for blown loudspeakers, regardless of the limiters used.
For this procedure you will need a sine wave generator and a volt meter.
1. Determine the limit voltage from the table at right. For example, if your loud- speaker is rated at 250 watts at 8 ohms, your thermal limit voltage is 45 volts and your peak limit voltage is 89 volts.
2. Disconnect the loudspeaker from the amplifier, you don’t want to blow it up se ng limiters.
3. Set the sine wave generator to match the frequency of the largest boost in the EQ.
4. Connect the volt meter to the output of the amplifier.
5. Turn up the generator un l the measured voltage exceeds the desired limit voltage. In the above example, the limit voltage is 45 volts, turn the generator up un l you get 48—50 volts.
6. Now, reduce the limiter threshold un l the voltage is 45 volts.
For woofers or full-range loudspeakers, your peak limiter will normally be the amplifier “clipping” (really peak limiting, no pro audio amplifier actually clips anymore) as it’s generally not practcable or even possible to get an amplifier large enough to need peak limit of the DSP layout. The difference between peak and thermal limiters is not just the threshold, but also the attack and release  mes.
Thermal limiter attack and release  times:
Lows: A ack 50-100 ms; Release 500-1000 ms Mids: A ack 5-10 ms; Release 50-100 ms Highs: A ack 1-5 ms; Release 10-50 ms
Peak limiter release  times: (Peak limiters should have the shortest attack  me possible, look‐ahead if available.)
Lows: Release 50-100 ms Mids: Release 5-10 ms Highs: Release 1-5 ms
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 21 queries.