ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Small digital mixer  (Read 5276 times)

Steve Oldridge

Re: Small digital mixer
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2018, 11:23:38 AM »

Ubiquiti builds enterprise-grade equipment for the most part and they presume it will be configured by a person with real world networking knowledge.  Not that others can't or won't use them (we do), but that the expected level of competence is higher than most of us present.
My home network - 2 AP's 2 switches and a USG (behind my ISP's cable) is ALL Ubiquiti, but I've never seen the need for local Bar/Club/smaller Festival gigs to go beyond an external router and setup AP's AND a router. I've been using the Archer C7 for a couple of years now. Here's how I set it up:
  • 5G only,
  • don't hide the SSID,
  • WPA2 security (to prevent incidental access) and
  • I change the tx/rx settings to decrease the power.
  • DHCP allocation range is limited to 20 connections,
  • the console has a static IP outside the DHCP range, and
  • the routers default IP has the 3rd node changed so the client IP's are outside the default range.  Eg: 192.168.39.1.   

For most gigs, the router sits up on top of a fully extended mic stand (8ft?) behind the console with a single CAT5/6E cable connected to the console. I have a generic GC tablet holder as the router base and use a couple of short bungy cords to lock it to the holder.
I use a wifi scanner at each venue to determine 5G interference and will change the routers operating channels for both 2.4 and 5G if necessary to minimize clutter.
Never had an issue.
Did have a few dropouts, but determined that caused by my old Gen2 iPad, NOT the router interface. I upgraded to a Gen5 and added an Andy tablet and all works great.
FWIW - I have run QSC TM30, QU-24, X32, X32R and XR18 consoles remotely with this router.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 11:31:17 AM by Steve Oldridge »

Robert Piascik

• Westerville, OH (near Columbus)
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2018, 01:58:13 PM »

I’m still paying attention to all the replies, thanks for everyone’s input
Yes I’m frustrated with the built in WiFi and yes, I know better but I almost never need to mix remotely so having a sketchy connection when I’m standing right next to it is frustrating.
Most of the time all I need with this set up is two inputs, with some fx, i want it to be as small as possible and rack mounted and I don’t want to have to bring extra pieces (external router and necessary tablet). So I’m not even opposed to a small analog mixer (but with fx)
Any ideas?
Pi Entertainment Services
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R
Danley SH50 / SM80 / TH118 / TH115
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2018, 05:13:04 PM »

A buddy of mine who plays a different lounge every night swears by the 1U Studiomaster mixers.  Racks it up with a 1U amp, tosses two or three 712Ms in his Golf and gets in and out of the gig quick.  Enough inputs for two or three singers, basic FX and good sound quality.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2018, 05:47:49 PM »

My home network - 2 AP's 2 switches and a USG (behind my ISP's cable) is ALL Ubiquiti, but I've never seen the need for local Bar/Club/smaller Festival gigs to go beyond an external router and setup AP's AND a router. I've been using the Archer C7 for a couple of years now. Here's how I set it up:
  • 5G only,
  • don't hide the SSID,
  • WPA2 security (to prevent incidental access) and
  • I change the tx/rx settings to decrease the power.
  • DHCP allocation range is limited to 20 connections,
  • the console has a static IP outside the DHCP range, and
  • the routers default IP has the 3rd node changed so the client IP's are outside the default range.  Eg: 192.168.39.1.   

For most gigs, the router sits up on top of a fully extended mic stand (8ft?) behind the console with a single CAT5/6E cable connected to the console. I have a generic GC tablet holder as the router base and use a couple of short bungy cords to lock it to the holder.
I use a wifi scanner at each venue to determine 5G interference and will change the routers operating channels for both 2.4 and 5G if necessary to minimize clutter.
Never had an issue.
Did have a few dropouts, but determined that caused by my old Gen2 iPad, NOT the router interface. I upgraded to a Gen5 and added an Andy tablet and all works great.
FWIW - I have run QSC TM30, QU-24, X32, X32R and XR18 consoles remotely with this router.

I also have very good results with the TP Link Archer C7 and set it up just about like you do with the exception of hiding the SSID, limiting the DHCP range to only 8 (if needed that will allow room for most bands to log in and mix their own in ears using QU You.) I've experimented with using no security and feel I get slightly better connectivity to my QU Pac.

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2018, 09:14:47 AM »

When doing remote mixing using wifi it is equally important to at least match the mimo capability of your remote mixing device with your wifi router. This increases the diversity and reduces the risk of channel interference.

I’d say that a 2x2 mimo wifi router is the minimum to buy since most current tablets have this capability as a minimum. If you connect using more than one device a mimo capable wifi router with 3x3 or higher prefered to support more connected clients.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2018, 09:47:00 AM »

The primary issue with wireless mixing:  That the tablet/phone RF capability isn't even close to that of the WAP especially when the tablet is operated at waist height.

You can get your WAP antenna(s) up high and that certainly helps.  You can look at your device and see lots of RF.  What you can't conveniently do is look at the WAP and see the signal strength of the device as received by the WAP.

One way communication does not a mixing experience make....
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2018, 01:29:11 PM »

Ubiquiti builds enterprise-grade equipment for the most part and they presume it will be configured by a person with real world networking knowledge.  Not that others can't or won't use them (we do), but that the expected level of competence is higher than most of us present.
Tim, I agree with what you are saying 100%.  We have been using the Ubiquiti Mesh Pro for about 2 years in 5 ghz mode and have never had it drop once.  We do everything from a couple of hundred to six thousand or so.  We use a Apple Airport Express to handout the IP addresses.

Bill
Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound & Light

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

Steve Oldridge

« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2018, 04:14:00 PM »

The primary issue with wireless mixing:  That the tablet/phone RF capability isn't even close to that of the WAP especially when the tablet is operated at waist height.

You can get your WAP antenna(s) up high and that certainly helps.  You can look at your device and see lots of RF.  What you can't conveniently do is look at the WAP and see the signal strength of the device as received by the WAP.

One way communication does not a mixing experience make....
Yep.. as alluded to in my post above with the Gen iPad.  It weren't the Wifi !!   :-[
It were the device !!

Ed Hall

• Classic LAB
  • Lansdale, PA
Small digital mixer
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2018, 11:14:15 AM »

Most of the time all I need with this set up is two inputs, with some fx, i want it to be as small as possible and rack mounted and I don’t want to have to bring extra pieces (external router and necessary tablet). So I’m not even opposed to a small analog mixer (but with fx)
Any ideas?

Have you looked at using a Raspberry Pi? I’ve played around with it some at home using a touch screen and it works well. The Pi has a version of the software written for it that operates just like the Windows version. Get an all in one screen/mount with a wired connection and you’d be set.

Raspberry Pi touchscreen mount
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 11:16:36 AM by Ed Hall »
I can't change reality just because you don't like it!

ProSoundWeb Community

Small digital mixer
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2018, 11:14:15 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 24 queries.