ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: DIY antenna stand question (that I can't find here)  (Read 5808 times)

Loren Miller

DIY antenna stand question (that I can't find here)
« on: July 16, 2018, 12:44:25 PM »

In certain venues/jobs I need to get my antennas up over people's heads, I could just buy 2 paddles/omni's or 1 diversity fin with the applicable mounting hardware, but that needs $500 minimum and I need to put $ into my account not the other way around, so here is my thought below, I have most of it figured out I think but need 1 part:

$30 fix (since I have most of this stuff already)
2x QLXD receivers -> rf venue passive combiner -> 15' of 50ohm cable -> tall mic stand with K&M 23600 4 Mic bar using the 2 outmost screws (which puts the antennas about 14" apart)

I know some of you have to have done this before, so how do I mount 1/2 wave antennas on a 5/8" mic thread...pulling out what's left of my hair and the answer is probably stupid simple...

Thanks in advance for helping me in my quest for no dropouts, don't flame me too hard, I have sensitive skin.
-Loren

Justin Goodman

Re: DIY antenna stand question (that I can't find here)
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 02:01:37 PM »

Why not just drill new holes and use the gear that comes with it?  1/2" hole and the stuff that somes with the QLXD is all you need. 

Would think twice about passive combination (especially without any added gain from directional antennas and cable loss) if you're doing outdoor stuff anywhere near the end of QLXD's range. That's several connectors + 15' of RG58/RG8 (guessing cable type based on budget range) ... probably talking about 5-8db of loss from antenna to receiver. 

FWIW the Audio Technica LPDAs are like $250/PAIR street price (there's actually a separate SKU for the pair) and then you don't have to spend a dime on mic threading adapters. DIY LPDA's are even cheaper, but then you would need to do the mic stand mounting yourself still.  I'd probably do that rather than investing a barely less money in getting your stock whips up high. 

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 02:17:45 PM »

I took a dual mic mount and removed the thumb screw mounts for mics.
Then added a couple of BNC couplers. Notice the quick connect mic stand connection- makes for fast set up and tear down.
I connect my coaxial cables to the bottom and the antennas to the top - works like a charm.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 02:20:33 PM »

BTW I think I paid $4 for the mount.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2018, 03:40:05 PM »

FYI, Cheap LPDA Antennas are available with their associated benefits over 1/2 wave Omni.

http://www.wa5vjb.com/products1.html
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Loren Miller

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2018, 05:07:15 PM »

I took a dual mic mount and removed the thumb screw mounts for mics.
Then added a couple of BNC couplers. Notice the quick connect mic stand connection- makes for fast set up and tear down.
I connect my coaxial cables to the bottom and the antennas to the top - works like a charm.

Brilliant, I knew I was missing something! Thanks!

Loren Miller

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2018, 05:09:03 PM »

FYI, Cheap LPDA Antennas are available with their associated benefits over 1/2 wave Omni.

http://www.wa5vjb.com/products1.html

WHAT!! Is this for real? anyone used one of these, are they fragile? what is the downside?

Loren Miller

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2018, 05:12:34 PM »

Why not just drill new holes and use the gear that comes with it?  1/2" hole and the stuff that somes with the QLXD is all you need. 

Would think twice about passive combination (especially without any added gain from directional antennas and cable loss) if you're doing outdoor stuff anywhere near the end of QLXD's range. That's several connectors + 15' of RG58/RG8 (guessing cable type based on budget range) ... probably talking about 5-8db of loss from antenna to receiver. 

FWIW the Audio Technica LPDAs are like $250/PAIR street price (there's actually a separate SKU for the pair) and then you don't have to spend a dime on mic threading adapters. DIY LPDA's are even cheaper, but then you would need to do the mic stand mounting yourself still.  I'd probably do that rather than investing a barely less money in getting your stock whips up high.

Justin, I was worried about this as well, so I talked to the guys at Shure and also RF Venue, they said that I would be fine with passive until I got to about 75-100' and that any Db loss would be made up by better signal of the higher antenna???

Henry Cohen

• Westchester Co., NY, USA
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2018, 08:53:24 PM »

Justin, I was worried about this as well, so I talked to the guys at Shure and also RF Venue, they said that I would be fine with passive until I got to about 75-100' and that any Db loss would be made up by better signal of the higher antenna???

Yes, height above obstructions (especially salty water bags) is your friend; a 10 - 20dB increase in RSSI can easily be realized. But, this does not mean one can be complacent about the other factors going into making a robust RF deployment: Placing the antennas as close to the transmitters as possible; good, low loss coax of the correct size for the length required; minimal use (if any) of gain (amplified) stages. And of course ensuring all the equipment is in proper working order.
Henry Cohen

CP Communications    www.cpcomms.com
Radio Active Designs   www.radioactiverf.com

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2018, 08:21:01 AM »

WHAT!! Is this for real? anyone used one of these, are they fragile? what is the downside?

Not sure / don't remember.

Search the forum, they've been mentioned in the past.

Find you, answers you seek.
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2018, 08:21:01 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 24 queries.