ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Acoustic Plaster instead of Acoustic Panels  (Read 7040 times)

lindsay Dean

• Classic LAB
Re: Acoustic Plaster instead of Acoustic Panels
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2018, 03:39:16 PM »

Without an acoustical engineer,
and without a sound company designing a system for you .
Some main things would be,
 number one, controlling the sound generated from the stage.
 That is going with in ear monitors ,
electronic drums or control booth for the drums ,
 guitar and keyboard amps excetera being located in another room  back stage
and micd.
point source boxes  aimed and tuned
 You will have to pay a real company to tune an implement the mains
no way out of that one.
and this would stop a lot of the energy from being started in the first place
"A mans got to know his limitations"
     and Pray for higher guidance

Taylor Phillips

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2018, 11:56:33 PM »

Looking at the picture, I can say I've definitely been in similarly shaped rooms which were completely dead acoustically.  They all just had soft carpet flooring and either acoustic tile or "popcorn" ceilings.    I'm not sure how acoustic plaster compares to these measures, but they were too dead in my opinion.   

I seem to be a bit on the unorthodox side of things in the sound debate sometimes since I don't see a need to completely eliminate neither natural reverb nor stage noise for amplified music, and prefer open acoustic drum kits.  My experience is that a "controlled" stage, rather than a nearly silent one, with a somewhat live acoustic in the main room creates a more engaging environment for the congregation and can even compensate for some of the shortcomings of an inexperienced sound technician (though that is very dependent on having cooperative musicians).  A dead room with a near-silent stage requires top-notch equipment and operators for the band to sound good, and even then people in the congregation might not enjoy singing along that much.  The silent stage and dead acoustics is the usual situation at my friend's church, but for a special worship night for which he asked me to sound, we used an acoustic drum kit (mic'd, no shield) in lieu of their electronic one, put a bass cabinet on stage (no subs in their PA), and I fixed the connection to their reverb unit.  I was a bit disappointed in the sound due to the lack of subs to put the kick drum through and not having as much control of the bass as I like, but everyone from the church was simply astounded at how much better the band sounded that night. 

Edward Petruescu

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2018, 02:16:37 PM »

As Tom mentioned, at what frequency?
You need to know how much sound is absorbed or reflected at various frequency bands.
Here is some info I found...
https://www.baswana.com/technical-data

I just received a quote for the average cost per square foot and it is way out of my budget at $40 per square foot at 1000 square feet. I was thinking of just having it above the stage but that would be $22,000 ($45 per square foot at 500 square feet since it costs more per square foot when you buy less). Way more cost effective to just make/buy sound absorption panels
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 08:28:11 PM by Edward Petruescu »

Jeremy Young

• Brown Bear Sound
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2018, 06:40:07 PM »

I just received a quote for the average cost per square foot and it is way out of my budget at $40 per 1000 square feet. I was thinking of just having it above the stage but that would be $22,000 ($45 per square foot at 500 square feet). Way more cost effective to just make/buy sound absorption panels

No part of that math makes any sense to me, can you double check your numbers?  At $40 per 1,000 square feet, for a 500 square foot area you'd be paying $22.50

At $45 per square foot, 500 square feet would cost $22,500

Those are very different numbers.  So are 40 and 45.... just saying. 

I wish I had the acoustical knowledge to contribute to this thread in some other way than proofing math, but hey, helping where I can.
Brown Bear Sound
Victoria BC Canada
Live Events - Life Events - Corporate Events

Edward Petruescu

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2018, 08:29:00 PM »

No part of that math makes any sense to me, can you double check your numbers?  At $40 per 1,000 square feet, for a 500 square foot area you'd be paying $22.50

At $45 per square foot, 500 square feet would cost $22,500

Those are very different numbers.  So are 40 and 45.... just saying. 

I wish I had the acoustical knowledge to contribute to this thread in some other way than proofing math, but hey, helping where I can.

I corrected it. It costs more when you buy less.

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2018, 11:03:40 PM »

This company has some interesting things that they do with Out-rounds. https://www.jdbsound.com/ they will even work with your church and show them how to build what they need. I have no personal experience with them.

I will caution you about the results of not knowing what you are doing with a quote from their website “Yes, anyone can put panels on a wall and change the sound of a room but when you visit most churches that have such panels, you soon discover that all they did was trade one set of problems for another and the quality of worship was not improved at all.  Such acoustical fixes do improve the performance of a sound system slightly but falls way short of what was expected and the congregational singing is often worse than before.  If you are going to spend a lot of money on room acoustics, why not get everything fixed at the same time.  It doesn’t cost any extra and it never has.”

It can save you a lot to do it right from the start. But my personal feeling about acoustics companies and sound systems is have the acousticians deal with the acoustics and someone else deal with the sound. There may be people that can do both but I haven’t found them yet. I am not saying that the company I linked to can’t do both, but I don’t know if they can. The giveaway to me is sometimes the weird speaker and sound system solutions they come up with. 

Don’t forget if you hire someone to do a job be sure there is a performance guarantee in the contract.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2018, 11:03:40 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.