ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Acoustic Plaster instead of Acoustic Panels  (Read 7036 times)

Edward Petruescu

Acoustic Plaster instead of Acoustic Panels
« on: July 10, 2018, 03:01:00 PM »

Does anyone have any experience with acoustic plaster? My church is in the process of constructing a new building and I want to come up with ideas about how to deaden in reverb. My fellow church members have a prejudice about acoustic panels since it looks "ugly" so I was looking into a system that would work instead. There is two type that I have seen on the internet, 1) for the ceiling, it gets a layer of mineral fiberboard that is then plastered over 2) a plaster mix with fiberglass that is sprayed on all surfaces up to an inch and a half thick. The first option is supposed to absorb like 90% of sound while the second 80%.<<something like that.

Tom Burgess

Re: Acoustic Plaster instead of Acoustic Panels
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 03:09:06 PM »

Does anyone have any experience with acoustic plaster? My church is in the process of constructing a new building and I want to come up with ideas about how to deaden in reverb. My fellow church members have a prejudice about acoustic panels since it looks "ugly" so I was looking into a system that would work instead. There is two type that I have seen on the internet, 1) for the ceiling, it gets a layer of mineral fiberboard that is then plastered over 2) a plaster mix with fiberglass that is sprayed on all surfaces up to an inch and a half thick. The first option is supposed to absorb like 90% of sound while the second 80%.<<something like that.
At what frequency?  Do these products have a lab-verified NRC?
If the band sounds great, it's because the band IS great, if the band sound like crap, it's the soundman's fault.

Opinions expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily those of the company for which I work.

David Allred

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 03:27:08 PM »

So then you have to install reflective panels to liven the room?

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 07:16:20 AM »

As Tom mentioned, at what frequency?
You need to know how much sound is absorbed or reflected at various frequency bands.
Here is some info I found...
https://www.baswana.com/technical-data
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 10:21:24 AM »

You should contract an acoustician to work with the architect to get the acoustic design of the space done properly.  It’s important to hire someone who understands the style of worship you’re doing (classical vs contemporary vs modern vs ultra modern etc).  They can work with you on helping to choose the right treatments and building materials/methods.  They will also be a big help in bringing people along on the acoustic panel issue.  They aren’t all big and ugly.

Honestly, if you don’t get the acoustics of the room right in the design phase then you’re just burning money and being terrible stewards by building anything.  It’s many times easier (and cheaper) to fix an acoustic problem before the structure is built.  Be good stewards and hire an expert to help you get it right.

Fred Dorado

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 12:46:14 PM »

as far as ugly -

Go to Spoonflower.com you can get custom printed materials, while all will have some impact on sound, they have some that are fairly thin and be more acoustically transparent than others.

Edward Petruescu

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2018, 04:02:11 PM »

At what frequency?  Do these products have a lab-verified NRC?

When I made the post I didn't look at specific products since I just found out that something like that existed. The product that I'm looking at right now is USG Acoustical Plaster Finish for cost reasons. We will be putting up drywall and the thickest this product can be on drywall is 1/2".

Data:
125: 0.55, 250: 0.20, 500: 0.28, 1000: 0.65, 2000: 0.88, 4000: 0.86, NRC 0.50

Edward Petruescu

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2018, 04:05:47 PM »

So then you have to install reflective panels to liven the room?

I mainly want to target stage noise and the reflections from the speaker and not all of it either. We remodeled a multipurpose room so that we can use it as we build the main building and the acoustics in it are absolutely horrible due to the design of the building and the same issues will be in the new building too.

Edward Petruescu

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2018, 04:11:54 PM »

You should contract an acoustician to work with the architect to get the acoustic design of the space done properly.  It’s important to hire someone who understands the style of worship you’re doing (classical vs contemporary vs modern vs ultra modern etc).  They can work with you on helping to choose the right treatments and building materials/methods.  They will also be a big help in bringing people along on the acoustic panel issue.  They aren’t all big and ugly.

Honestly, if you don’t get the acoustics of the room right in the design phase then you’re just burning money and being terrible stewards by building anything.  It’s many times easier (and cheaper) to fix an acoustic problem before the structure is built.  Be good stewards and hire an expert to help you get it right.

I was trying to learn to use an open source building acoustic software that I found but I will look into contacting an acoustician since it is a tough subject. Problem with having a church full of contractors is that there isn't much planning involved since they apply their residential construction knowledge and experience to a commercial space(though I'm working on changing that).

Edward Petruescu

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2018, 04:13:50 PM »

as far as ugly -

Go to Spoonflower.com you can get custom printed materials, while all will have some impact on sound, they have some that are fairly thin and be more acoustically transparent than others.

I was thinking of getting fabric with bible verses on it in order to make it feel more like decoration.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2018, 04:13:50 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.