ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Lectrosonics M2 Duet sound quality!?  (Read 7745 times)

Karl Winkler

• Lectrosonics
Re: Lectrosonics M2 Duet sound quality!?
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2018, 01:41:19 PM »

There have actually been two fixes related to squelch - December 2017 and then January 2018:

WD Firmware Update v25Jan2018
M2R v1.10 (SUPER)/v1.11 (FPGA)
Added, frequency, numerical volume setting and mix mode indicators to the main display page.
Added SmartTune feature.
Further improvements to squelch operation to prevent loud drop-outs.
Doubled the scanning speed.

WD Firmware Update v13Dec2017
M2R v1.03 (SUPER)/v1.06 (FPGA)
Apply log taper to volume control for finer resolution at low levels.
Improved squelch operation to prevent loud drop-outs.

https://www.lectrosonics.com/Support/M2-Duet-System/m2r-firmware-revision-history.html

Hi Tom,

We also have some additional updates that are still in beta form if you would like to try it out on your units. If so, please PM me with your email address.

We do have some scheduled updates in the works beyond those, as well. Included are the transmitter headphone jack. Believe it or not, it is not a cheap part, but we are having to make some tradeoffs in the firmware domain to get the headphone jack quiet. We will get there.

We also have on the list several of Andrew's suggestions, specifically the "IR in range" feature and the negative limiter gain values. The addition of smart recharging packs will need to wait for the next generation.

I do think the audio performance on the fringes is much better as of v1.11 - when the unit squelches it is quite gentle. Agreed that versions earlier than that could sound harsh on dropouts.
In theory, theory and practice should be the same. In practice, they are not.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2018, 02:29:30 PM »

Hi Tom,

We also have some additional updates that are still in beta form if you would like to try it out on your units. If so, please PM me with your email address.

We do have some scheduled updates in the works beyond those, as well. Included are the transmitter headphone jack. Believe it or not, it is not a cheap part, but we are having to make some tradeoffs in the firmware domain to get the headphone jack quiet. We will get there.

We also have on the list several of Andrew's suggestions, specifically the "IR in range" feature and the negative limiter gain values. The addition of smart recharging packs will need to wait for the next generation.

I do think the audio performance on the fringes is much better as of v1.11 - when the unit squelches it is quite gentle. Agreed that versions earlier than that could sound harsh on dropouts.
Thanks for reaching out, Karl.  PM sent.

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2018, 05:39:05 PM »

Hi Tom,

Thank you, Karl. I'm very excited about this product. The tuning range is wider than any other IEM I've seen and the sound quality is superb. The numeric readout of the volume setting is very handy, and I know these other planned features will make it the "PSM1000 killer" I know it can be!
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2018, 01:55:34 PM »

An update - I'm sending it back.  The RF performance is 6 stars out of 5.  It is really amazing, even on low power.  For shows with tight RF requirements this thing would be fantastic.  Unfortunately the audio quality annoys me.  I've probably got the yips about this and I suspect others may be fine with it - in a live setting with stage volume the artifacts that bother me aren't audible, but I've done enough work doing head-to-head tests and analysis that I'm going to always hear what I hear.

Thanks to Karl and team for letting me try the beta firmware.  Sign me up for Duet version 2 at some point in the future.

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2018, 07:38:25 PM »

Hopefully the v2 comes soon, as I really want to get a set of these, once they work out the above issues and missing features.
-Andy

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
Lectrosonics M2 Duet sound quality!?
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2018, 04:53:46 PM »

V2 software is out with what they’re calling High Resolution Audio.

Anyone tried it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
-Andy

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2018, 12:34:40 PM »

I'll probably get to it this weekend. . .

Currently playing with things to improve Duet range for some location sound clients who are used to 250mW IFB systems.

Anyone tried it?

Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2018, 07:19:29 PM »

Anyone tried it?

Looking at the feature list, it appears to combine some of the stuff I tested in July plus a few new things including at least one suggestion I made (changing the meter scale to a 0DBFS-type model).  I'm curious to hear what you think.  To me, the new codec didn't fix the major complaint I had - a gated hiss (quantizing noise) underneath the audio.  I would love to hear that this is fixed, but I have a feeling I've already heard the "high resolution audio".

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2018, 12:50:16 PM »

After decades of using rechargeables in my Sennheisers and now the Li-Ion rechargeables for the past several years with the PSM1000, the lack of a Li-Ion pack for the Duet makes this a non-starter for me. "Once you've tried it, you just can't go back"
-Andy

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2018, 12:50:16 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 24 queries.