ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Trailer tires, Costco or Les Schwab? Or?  (Read 3689 times)

Stephen Kirby

Re: Trailer tires, Costco or Les Schwab? Or?
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2018, 01:38:28 AM »

I have seen lots of home brew trailers with automotive rear ends on leaf springs.  But I thought people took the spider out of them.  In any event, they still should roll independently around corners.  That's what a differential is for.

I do understand the desire of tandem axles to go straight, and the scrubbing you put them through, especially in tight turns.

I've had light truck tires on my ski boat trailer with no issues.  My last 5x8 had trailer tires and several tire shops were able to quote on these.  America's Tire (I think associated with Tire Rack) has been my go to for the last several years.  Many years ago I went to Costco and that was cost effective as well.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2018, 02:56:22 PM »

I just received an email from Costco and remembered this thread- $70 off 4 Bridgestone tires. Not sure if yours are included....
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2018, 03:06:40 PM »

I think he meant trailers DONT have differentials, so trailer tires don’t scrub that way. However, many trailers have more than one axel so when you turn sharp, there is a lot of force on the sidewall.

Load capacity for the size is important to check.

I would think that side pressure ("scrubbing") shouldn't be an issue on a single axle trailer, so an ST rated tire might not be as necessary, unless there are other considerations.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2018, 03:35:43 PM »

Reguarding tires.

For 10 years I was an auto mechanic. I worked at Firestone , Goodyear , Sears , a Chrysler dealership. I had to learn all about tires. ST or special trailer tires are not legal to use on vehicles that carry passenger. ST tires are not built to the same standards as passenger tires. ST tires are of lesser quality. ST tires have an addition additive that allows them to be stationary longer without dry rotting.

A differential in a vehicle does the same as trailer axles. It allows the inside tire of a turn to rotate slower when turning. That keeps the tire from dragging the tread on the pavement.

Trailers do not necessarily put more side loads on tires compared to vehicles. If your trailer is swaying you need to find out why. I put enormous side loads on the tires of my F350, 65 mustang because I like to roadrace.

Pickup truck tires and all LT truck tires are way better to put on a trailer than ST tires. LT tires are lots stronger, have better puncture resistance, and higher DOT safety standards. They also cost more.

ST tires do what they are made to do just dont put them on your car or truck. 
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 03:39:02 PM by Jeff Bankston »

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2018, 06:42:47 PM »

For 10 years I was an auto mechanic. I worked at Firestone , Goodyear , Sears , a Chrysler dealership. I had to learn all about tires. ST or special trailer tires are not legal to use on vehicles that carry passenger. ST tires are not built to the same standards as passenger tires. ST tires are of lesser quality. ST tires have an addition additive that allows them to be stationary longer without dry rotting.

According to Goodyear:

Unlike auto tires, trailer tires don't require advanced traction or flexible sidewalls to turn and maneuver. Instead, trailer tires have higher load capacities and stiffer sidewalls to handle heavy cargo and reduce swaying.

Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2018, 12:28:27 AM »

According to Goodyear:
I posted what we were taught by Firestone , Sears and Goodyear. Trailer tires do not need driving axle traction but they do need braking traction on dry, wet, dirt and snowy roads. They also need side to side traction especially on wet snowy and dirt roads. I am not impressed with Goodyear Marathon trailer tires. I know a couple of guys that used them and they were always throwing caps. I suggested they try Hankook 7.50-16 14 ply F19 truck/trailer tires and they did and the problem went away. All the trailers I ever owned used 16" tires. Here is one of my truck and trailer rigs. The trailer has Hankook 7.50-16 F19 tires.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 12:47:09 AM by Jeff Bankston »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2018, 12:28:27 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 25 queries.