ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LiveU LU60 Broadcast Video Transmitter -- Testing and Questions  (Read 3776 times)

Max Carter

I recently came into possession of a LiveU LU60. Has anyone ever worked with one of these? From what I have read so far, it seems like they have a bad rap?

I have an engineering background and have some decent video knowledge. (Or at least I thought!) I have been trying to test out the unit and confirm that everything works. It is saying that I can't record anything until a camera is connected. I saw the SDI port and figured it stood for Standard Definition something. I connected composite video to it and that didn't work. I have since figured out SDI stands for Serial Digital Interface. (No wonder it didn't work!) Hopefully, this didn't damage anything. If it did, it really isn't a huge deal because it is just a black magic PCI card.(easy fix) The other option is to use the DV port.

Is there a cheap camera anyone can recommend to test this. I don't have anything that outputs DV or SDI. Is my best bet to just buy an HDMI to SDI adapter?

From the manual it looks like there is an accompanying server(LU-1000) that this unit connects to. Can video not be transmitted remotely without this? Is there a work-around so I don't need to have this server?

Are these still being used today? Looks like it first came out around 2012.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
Re: LiveU LU60 Broadcast Video Transmitter -- Testing and Questions
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 12:26:57 AM »

What are you trying to do?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Max Carter

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2018, 09:12:25 AM »

Basically I just want to test everything out and confirm it is working. There really isn't too much information about it online other than the manuals I have found. Maybe talk to someone that has used one of these before and hear their thoughts?

It is a neat little unit and if it still has some value I'd sell it. Otherwise I could probably come up with a cool project to use it in.

Henry Cohen

• Westchester Co., NY, USA
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2018, 10:24:37 AM »

This is an internet transport based product requiring the field unit transmitting the video with audio (which you have), a LiveU account and the studio side decoder. The field unit sends the data stream via cellular/GSM/LTE, WiFi or LAN over the internet to the LiveU servers, which in turn reflect your stream to your studio's decoder unit.

I don't believe this unit has onboard recording.
Henry Cohen

CP Communications    www.cpcomms.com
Radio Active Designs   www.radioactiverf.com

Max Carter

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2018, 12:40:14 PM »

This is an internet transport based product requiring the field unit transmitting the video with audio (which you have), a LiveU account and the studio side decoder. The field unit sends the data stream via cellular/GSM/LTE, WiFi or LAN over the internet to the LiveU servers, which in turn reflect your stream to your studio's decoder unit.

I don't believe this unit has onboard recording.

So even if I had the server I would still need to have an account? I think the unit can do onboard recording. It has a "store and forward" option that I think will work. I just haven't confirmed it yet because I don't have a proper video source.

Henry Cohen

• Westchester Co., NY, USA
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2018, 07:46:19 PM »

So even if I had the server I would still need to have an account?

Yes. The TX and RX units know only one place to "phone home" (a static, public IP address) and that's the LiveU server, where the steams will converge based on your account information. If you're really good at hacking firmware and have a static public IP address, you could probably bypass their server, and account requirements, but I suspect that their EULA and copyrights extend to the use of the product by anyone, anywhere, anytime, no matter how the equipment was acquired.

I think the unit can do onboard recording. It has a "store and forward" option that I think will work. I just haven't confirmed it yet because I don't have a proper video source.

I don't think it's a format you can extract from the TX and use: It's purpose is to store the data until a robust internet connection can be established.
Henry Cohen

CP Communications    www.cpcomms.com
Radio Active Designs   www.radioactiverf.com

Max Carter

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2018, 10:23:59 AM »

Yes. The TX and RX units know only one place to "phone home" (a static, public IP address) and that's the LiveU server, where the steams will converge based on your account information. If you're really good at hacking firmware and have a static public IP address, you could probably bypass their server, and account requirements, but I suspect that their EULA and copyrights extend to the use of the product by anyone, anywhere, anytime, no matter how the equipment was acquired.

I don't think it's a format you can extract from the TX and use: It's purpose is to store the data until a robust internet connection can be established.

I finally got an HDMI to SDI converter. Hooked it up and everything is working great. It turns out it does have on board recording. The file output is just an mp4 and it plays back fine. You can even plug in a flash drive and save directly to it!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2018, 10:23:59 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 23 queries.