ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: One PC: Can I run Dante, remote control for mixer and remote-app for WL?  (Read 4235 times)

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber

Aha. Glad I'm not the only one who has asked about this. In my head the virtual and real life dante-names wouldn't have to be the same, I'm picturing a setting where you can for instance drag and drop your virtual units onto the real units to "address/assign" them, and you'd get the option to rename the actual unit with the virtually created name, or keep the actual units name. Anyhow, this would save some time on-site, and you'd be able to get in there with a plan which has already been somewhat executed, but not fully deployed.

The shop that owns the system can program up the Dante network to your spec. When I was doing CGI and had a several hundred channel Dante system with 4 consoles and 11 Rios and 22 switches I went to the shop to prep the system and did all my programming and testing before the system left the shop.

The reason for using the same names is because that is how Dante identifies devices.

Mac

Miguel Dahl

The shop that owns the system can program up the Dante network to your spec. When I was doing CGI and had a several hundred channel Dante system with 4 consoles and 11 Rios and 22 switches I went to the shop to prep the system and did all my programming and testing before the system left the shop.

The reason for using the same names is because that is how Dante identifies devices.

Mac

But then everything has to be hooked up? I'm actually one of the guys "in a shop". Rental company which uses full time employees in the field..  I usually prep my WL frequencies, showfiles etc etc beforehand, "in the shop" and the dante setup is one of the things I've now understood that I can't prep, unless I hook it all up beforehand. There's other things for me to do when not out on a production, and if some of the dante-units are out, I can't do anything even if I had the time.

Andrew Hollis

Offline Dante patching
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2018, 05:06:56 PM »

There is no offline editing. I want the ability to create a virtual 16x8 device and give it a unique Dante name and have it appear in Dante Controller as that device. When I hook up to the real gear and Controller sees 2 devices with the same name I should get the option to select the real one and ignore the virtual device.

I'm picturing a setting where you can for instance drag and drop your virtual units onto the real units to "address/assign" them, and you'd get the option to rename the actual unit with the virtually created name, or keep the actual units name.

Ah, funny. SSL can patch to and from any offline Dante device, and it works exactly as you have imagined—drag and drop!

Here's a quick look at that:
https://youtu.be/bDy9GDHweCg

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography

I think you have your answer, but I regularly run 33 channels of Dante into Reaper which records those tracks onto an external drive (SSD Tbolt) and run Wireless Workbench monitoring 4 channels (soon to be 8 ) of Shure ULXD. I also run the host program for Soundgrid Multirack. All of that runs through the ethernet NIC built in to the iMac. I can then also browse the net, or even stream youtube or whatnot using the wifi NIC in the same iMac.

I also have a Focusrite interface for some local IO to the machine, So Focusrite Mix Control is always running connected through firewire.

The 2 network interfaces are because my Dante is on a Vlan and can't get to the web.

So, one older but top of the line iMac (I think from 2012) runs:
Dante Controller
Reaper multitracking
Soundgrid Server Host
Focusrite Mix Control
Wireless Workbench
Chrome for goofing off, watching youtube, posting at the LAB......

All this has not caused a single hiccup for me. Not to mention I'm using dual monitors (built-in and a 40" TV) so that places a load on the machine as well.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 02:03:45 AM by Tim Weaver »
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Miguel Dahl

Re: Offline Dante patching
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2018, 04:16:52 PM »

Ah, funny. SSL can patch to and from any offline Dante device, and it works exactly as you have imagined—drag and drop!

Huh, that's pretty neat.

Miguel Dahl

I think you have your answer, but I regularly run 33 channels of Dante into Reaper which records those tracks onto an external drive (SSD Tbolt) and run Wireless Workbench monitoring 4 channels (soon to be 8 ) of Shure ULXD. I also run the host program for Soundgrid Multirack. All of that runs through the ethernet NIC built in to the iMac. I can then also browse the net, or even stream youtube or whatnot using the wifi NIC in the same iMac.

I also have a Focusrite interface for some local IO to the machine, So Focusrite Mix Control is always running connected through firewire.

The 2 network interfaces are because my Dante is on a Vlan and can't get to the web.

So, one older but top of the line iMac (I think from 2012) runs:
Dante Controller
Reaper multitracking
Soundgrid Server Host
Focusrite Mix Control
Wireless Workbench
Chrome for goofing off, watching youtube, posting at the LAB......

All this has not caused a single hiccup for me. Not to mention I'm using dual monitors (built-in and a 40" TV) so that places a load on the machine as well.

Right. Seems like I should explore more for myself than relying on my colleague's "it won't work". Thank you.

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2018, 04:54:55 PM »

Yamaha can do that as well by creating virtual devices that you can patch to and from. It is DANTE CONTROLLER that needs to see all the devices. Having a console that can use virtual devices isn't that much help when you are working on your patch on an airplane on the way to the gig, or even at home when you can't get to the shop. Generally, if I can get to the console to use it a patching device, I can get to the other Dante equipment to just set everything up and patch with Dante Controller which is much easier and faster.

Mac

Andrew Hollis

« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2018, 11:08:38 AM »

Having a console that can use virtual devices isn't that much help when you are working on your patch on an airplane on the way to the gig, or even at home when you can't get to the shop. Generally, if I can get to the console to use it a patching device, I can get to the other Dante equipment to just set everything up and patch with Dante Controller which is much easier and faster.

I think maybe the whole video was not watched. SSL drives Dante Controller so you don't have to. You can build a Dante Controller patch in your airplane or your home with the SSL SOLSA offline app; a console is not required. Controller is not required.

PM series requires the user to manually build and manage a 'Dante Patch" layer, and is limited to 24 devices. So it's neither dynamic nor automatic. The PM user has to patch all 'domains' manually. That's the difference. In the SSL, you don't have to touch Controller, or make a 'Dante Patch.'
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 12:26:41 PM by Andrew Hollis »

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2018, 06:27:22 PM »

I think maybe the whole video was not watched. SSL drives Dante Controller so you don't have to. You can build a Dante Controller patch in your airplane or your home with the SSL SOLSA offline app; a console is not required. Controller is not required.

Watching the whole video wouldn't have helped since there is no mention of SOLSA.

Mac

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2018, 06:27:22 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.