ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: One PC: Can I run Dante, remote control for mixer and remote-app for WL?  (Read 4321 times)

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
One PC: Can I run Dante, remote control for mixer and remote-app for WL?
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2018, 06:52:08 PM »

The latest version of DVS allows you to use a computer with 2 NICs to connect to both networks.

I found THIS in about 10 sec with a Google search.

Mac
Mac,
What am I missing here? The video is on Dante controller, not Dante virtual sound card.  Controller has been able to monitor on both primary and secondary for years and years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 06:54:35 PM by David Sturzenbecher »
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber

Mac,
What am I missing here? The video is on Dante controller, not Dante virtual sound card.  Controller has been able to monitor on both primary and secondary for years and years.

Brain fart. Removed.

Mac

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio

I know that DVS does not support redundancy. So will this mean that my tracks from the DVS are limited to the primary network only? If the primary goes down the show is screwed?

A couple options are to have two laptops simultaneously trigger tracks, one on the primary and one one the secondary, or load up a computer with the Yamaha (also maybe Focusrite??) PCIe card.

Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB

If you want to have your laptop see primary and secondary then you need two discrete network cards.  You can’t trunk vlans and setup virtual interfaces, Dante won’t use them.

For monitoring just put the devices on the primary network switch.  If you’re concerned about traffic use managed switches with QOS.

DVS playback redundancy isn’t something I’ve tangled with.  Others here will be more helpful.  The idea of two synchronized playback systems isn’t bad.  DVS isn’t limited to just the primary.  It’s just limited to only one network so the secondary system just gets plugged into the secondary network.

Does anyone know if you can run two instances of DVS simultaneously with one bound to primary and one to secondary?  I’m guessing no.  Anyone know how failover would happen in a two system primary/secondary setup?  Do they need to be two sets of input channels or will Dante really handle them as primary secondary even though they come from different devices?

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services

My suggestion is if you are going to build a complex Dante network as you hypothesized, you should get some Dante training.

Even some basic instruction would get you well on the way to understanding what and how.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Miguel Dahl

My suggestion is if you are going to build a complex Dante network as you hypothesized, you should get some Dante training.

Even some basic instruction would get you well on the way to understanding what and how.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Yes. I've thought about some Dante-training. But until that happens I've thrown out some "curious" questions so I can piece the answers I get together and do some research myself from what I get, so I'll slowly get closer to understanding the big picture. My kind of questions in this thread is sort of how I approach something completely new to me. So thank's for all your inputs, really helpful.

However. I have one last question I haven't been able to google. Can I build a "network", with routing in the dante controller offline? If I know what units will be connected on site, can I do the routing offline, without being connected to the units at any point? I've seen videos of presets, but the videos has all the units connected already.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 11:24:08 AM by Miguel Dahl »

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber

However. I have one last question I haven't been able to google. Can I build a "network", with routing in the dante controller offline? If I know what units will be connected on site, can I do the routing offline, without being connected to the units at any point? I've seen videos of presets, but the videos has all the units connected already.

No. This is the one real negative issue with Dante. There is no offline editing. I have been bringing this up with Audinate since the beginning, as I am sure many others have as well. So far they seem to be ignoring the issue. Their standard response is that they can't be responsible for all the different manufacturer's products, but that is not what I am asking for. I want the ability to create a virtual 16x8 device and give it a unique Dante name and have it appear in Dante Controller as that device. When I hook up to the real gear and Controller sees 2 devices with the same name I should get the option to select the real one and ignore the virtual device.

Mac

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio

Yes. I've thought about some Dante-training. But until that happens I've thrown out some "curious" questions so I can piece the answers I get together and do some research myself from what I get, so I'll slowly get closer to understanding the big picture. My kind of questions in this thread is sort of how I approach something completely new to me. So thank's for all your inputs, really helpful.

Dante training is available online for free.

https://www.audinate.com/resources/training-and-tutorials/dante-certification-training

And secondly, no, you cannot setup your routing offline.

Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Miguel Dahl

Dante training is available online for free.

https://www.audinate.com/resources/training-and-tutorials/dante-certification-training

And secondly, no, you cannot setup your routing offline.

That has flown over my head. Thanks!

Miguel Dahl

No. This is the one real negative issue with Dante. There is no offline editing. I have been bringing this up with Audinate since the beginning, as I am sure many others have as well. So far they seem to be ignoring the issue. Their standard response is that they can't be responsible for all the different manufacturer's products, but that is not what I am asking for. I want the ability to create a virtual 16x8 device and give it a unique Dante name and have it appear in Dante Controller as that device. When I hook up to the real gear and Controller sees 2 devices with the same name I should get the option to select the real one and ignore the virtual device.

Mac

Aha. Glad I'm not the only one who has asked about this. In my head the virtual and real life dante-names wouldn't have to be the same, I'm picturing a setting where you can for instance drag and drop your virtual units onto the real units to "address/assign" them, and you'd get the option to rename the actual unit with the virtually created name, or keep the actual units name. Anyhow, this would save some time on-site, and you'd be able to get in there with a plan which has already been somewhat executed, but not fully deployed.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 04:06:57 PM by Miguel Dahl »

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: One PC: Can I run Dante, remote control for mixer and remote-app for WL?
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2018, 04:01:15 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 25 queries.