ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pelican - TSA locks.  (Read 2268 times)

Al Rettich

Pelican - TSA locks.
« on: July 05, 2018, 01:46:23 PM »

I use to use standard wire locks for my pelican when flying.  I’m about to quite a fly dates. Looking for suggestions!

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
Re: Pelican - TSA locks.
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 03:10:46 PM »

I use to use standard wire locks for my pelican when flying.  I’m about to quite a fly dates. Looking for suggestions!

Zip ties - and include some extras inside for the TSA to use after inspection.

Others may disagree, but I've found the "TSA approved locks" to be counter-productive.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Jim Rutherford

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 05:52:41 PM »

Zip ties.   Take extra for the return trip.  However I’ve never had the TSA put new ones back on. 

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2018, 06:06:29 PM »

Several years ago, I had moderate success in using blue painter's tape to tape a replacement zip tie by the case handle. TSA sometimes installed the hi-viz replacement tie. It may have been that I was not going through security at large airports, however, and the small town TSA folks had less to do.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2018, 11:34:23 PM »

I use zip ties.  I put specific colored ones on so I can tell if it’s been opened (unless they have the same variety of high-vis and pay attention).  Replacement black ones inside the case.  Never had my pelican opened though.

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2018, 11:47:58 PM »

I use zip ties.  I put specific colored ones on so I can tell if it’s been opened (unless they have the same variety of high-vis and pay attention).  Replacement black ones inside the case.  Never had my pelican opened though.
Really? A pelican case is the equivalent of a flashing neon sign that says...LOOK IN HERE!!. My pelican gets gone through on about 50% of trips. I did the zip tie thing for a while... I don’t use anything anymore. I have never had one accidentally come open... and if someone wants in... they will get in. My flights are down recently, but I used to be at around 100 legs per year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Brian Bolly

• DC/Baltimore and other Major Airports
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2018, 06:07:22 AM »

I've used both - hi viz zip ties and TSA locks.  I'd say it's about a 50/50 split, although I've had at least one lock "lost" over the years, and they almost never put zip ties back on.  I did have one instance of being called back to security because TSA didn't have the right # key for the lock I had on, and I had to give them the combo (this was a smaller airport - Fargo, IIRC).

My biggest issue is when TSA doesn't fully latch it back up, or it's been re-opened by another party.  I learned several years ago not to leave any small loose pieces of kit floating on top - everything needs a bag internally.  I've gotten my case back at baggage claim with up to 3 of the latches either wide open and/or not fully seated/latched.  >:(

Taylor Hall

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2018, 10:11:36 AM »

Depending on the size of the case, you can actually secure it way better if you're willing to go through slightly more hassle. I did this for years when flying with thousands of dollars of photo/video/networking equipment in a hard case: pack a starter pistol. Even though it's nothing more than a glorified toy blank "gun", the TSA considers it a firearm which allows you to put a lock on it that only YOU can unlock. If it's ever tampered with by anyone else, then it's a felony charge waiting on whoever did it. The only caveat is that it must be secured in the case along with everything else, it can't just be tossed around, so you'll need a slot in your foam or some other way of securing it like a cheap uncle mike's holster stuck/riveted to the side of the case.

All you have to do when checking in is tell the attendant that you are checking firearms, then show them it is unloaded. They'll slap a tag on it and direct you to a separate security station where a TSA agent will do a quick GSR swab test, confirm it has a sturdy lock on it, and send it on its way. When you get to your destination, they'll usually have the case in the oversize luggage area or in the baggage services office for whatever airline you're flying with.

FWIW, I've never had my case get lost or tampered with in the 5+ years I used that trick. I've also flown with actual firearms and never had issues, either.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2018, 09:43:04 AM »

Depending on the size of the case, you can actually secure it way better if you're willing to go through slightly more hassle. I did this for years when flying with thousands of dollars of photo/video/networking equipment in a hard case: pack a starter pistol. Even though it's nothing more than a glorified toy blank "gun", the TSA considers it a firearm which allows you to put a lock on it that only YOU can unlock. If it's ever tampered with by anyone else, then it's a felony charge waiting on whoever did it. The only caveat is that it must be secured in the case along with everything else, it can't just be tossed around, so you'll need a slot in your foam or some other way of securing it like a cheap uncle mike's holster stuck/riveted to the side of the case.

All you have to do when checking in is tell the attendant that you are checking firearms, then show them it is unloaded. They'll slap a tag on it and direct you to a separate security station where a TSA agent will do a quick GSR swab test, confirm it has a sturdy lock on it, and send it on its way. When you get to your destination, they'll usually have the case in the oversize luggage area or in the baggage services office for whatever airline you're flying with.

FWIW, I've never had my case get lost or tampered with in the 5+ years I used that trick. I've also flown with actual firearms and never had issues, either.

I hope no one takes your recommendations without knowing all of the pitfalls. It sounds like a good idea but there are places where you can get in a lot of trouble. In some places a starter’s pistol is considered a facsimile gun and they are illegal there and covered under the same laws as a real firearm. That is why you get the special treatment at the airports.

And transporting firearms is covered under FOPA (Firearms Owners’ Protection Act). “Under FOPA, notwithstanding any state or local law, a person is entitled to transport a firearm from any place where he or she may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he or she may lawfully possess and carry it, if the firearm is unloaded and locked out of reach. In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm must be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. Ammunition that is either locked out of reach in the trunk or in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console is also covered.” From https://www.nraila.org/articles/20150101/guide-to-the-interstate-transportation

I had to look that up so I was quoting it properly.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2018, 09:43:04 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 24 queries.