ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Really Ugly Storm  (Read 3375 times)

Aaron Maurer

Really Ugly Storm
« on: July 05, 2018, 08:42:25 AM »

Here are some pics of the event yesterday. The console is out in the middle of the field tarped. Not sure what the speed of the winds but were straight line and blew over trees that fell on cars and knocked over every tent at the event. Petty sure no one was hurt with the exception of some minor issues from tents falling. Other than a few wet cables and some mud on the casters my gear was bone dry. Preparation was everything and I had already had a conversation with the event planner that I would make the call when things needed to stop unless they did it before me. Band was a 1/3 if the way into the opening set and first lighting strike 0.8 miles away. At that point I called it as the weather app had the storm coming on as a direct hit. It rained for 45 min down pouring and the rain never stopped for the two hours we waited until they called it. All that said I was totally prepared and came out of the worst storm I have ever had my gear setup in with zero known issues. Everyone one was very lucky no serious injuries this could have went really bad if the trees across the street would have been in the park that fell (some snapped at mid section and were 75-100’ tall).

Will Knight

• Queens, NY
Re: Really Ugly Storm
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 08:47:20 AM »

Aaron,

Well done and very lucky indeed.  I take it you may have been a Scout at some point early in your career given their motto is “Always Prepared”.. 

Bill

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value — Albert Einstein.

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 08:48:00 AM »

Good planning and preparation allow Lady Luck to do her thing.  Well done.

Jay Marr

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2018, 10:39:06 AM »

I love a good plan!   Nicely done!

Without that preparation and ability to make the call, your gear could have been the value of a paper weight right now.

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2018, 10:43:29 AM »

Where was this?

Lance Hallmark

• Tampa Bay, FL
    • Hallmark Events & Entertainment
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2018, 11:31:27 AM »

Glad everyone was safe and no gear issues. I had two incidents this week. First one had a squall come up with 30-35mph gusts  that took two extra people to hold down the tent while I packed up the gear. They wanted me to set up again (DJ setup - two tops, sub, controller/computer) but the cables had gotten too wet for me to want to take a chance on so this weekly gig was pretty much a bust. Second was a lighting gig, had to lash the truss totems to a solid structure and get all the lights covered mid party. Sat through almost two hours of rain then it cleared up. Reset all the gear, put out the uplighting and everything was good from that point on. A lot of extra work this week, I'm over the rain & wind!
----------------------------------------------------
Lance Hallmark
Hallmark Events & Entertainment
Chamsys, Crown, Danley, EV, JTR, Powersoft, Yamaha

Rick Earl

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2018, 11:51:15 AM »

It's good to see individuals prepared, it would be nicer if the event planners did risk assessment and planning as part of their preparation for the event.  There are some excellent resources out there.

http://eventsafetyalliance.org/#

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2018, 12:30:47 PM »

Not sure what the speed of the winds but were straight line and blew over trees that fell on cars and knocked over every tent at the event.

Nasty!  Glad everyone (and your equipment) survived.  Congrats on the plan and having the fortitude to call it when you did.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2018, 01:31:57 PM »

Looks like everyone was having fun, but I could see from the pictures most people thought it was time to bale.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Mal Brown

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2018, 02:01:43 PM »

I had to run in the rain a few times this season - it’s common spring and fall up here in the Great North-Wet... Nothing like that though...  worst yet this season was about .25” of rain, gusts to 40.  High School graduation.  We were tented behind the bleachers,  the kiddies soaked up most all the rain headed for us.  My subs were tarped and my tops were bagged and taped.  About 2000 in the audience... sorry about that nice Perm Mrs. Smith...
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2018, 02:01:43 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.