ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: High gain low feedback headset mics for arena event  (Read 2272 times)

Steve Ferreira

High gain low feedback headset mics for arena event
« on: July 04, 2018, 11:07:14 AM »

Hi all,

We had a client send us an opportunity to bid on one of their upcoming events. This is an arena event for 5500 people in attendance. We have majority of the audio, video and lighting all taken care of. They have asked for 23 wireless mics with headsets for all the singers. We carry discrete Countryman E6 but I believe we just have the normal W5 units with cardioid capsules which are for speaking. I didn't even realise that the E6s had different versions with different sensitivities as I don't make the purchases.

My question, are the E6s up to the task or should I be looking at a different headset mic? There won't be any instruments on stage and just sending a track down the monitors for them.

Any insight would be great.

Thanks

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
Re: High gain low feedback headset mics for arena event
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2018, 02:39:15 PM »

The directional W5 overloads at 125dB, with 23 singers there will probably be enough in the group that can hit that level to be a problem, which may not show up until they "let loose" at the show.
There are many singers that don't exceed 125dB, but without extensive rehearsals, you won't know, a little more noise is better than clipping on the "big note".
The W6 can take 135dB, good for all but the glass-breakers, who might use the W7 at 145dB.

Justin Goodman

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2018, 07:58:22 PM »

Can’t speak to E6 but I yell into an Isomax daily and it’s held up for several years very well.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2018, 02:02:20 AM »

Is there going to be a live band and stage monitors.

Steve Ferreira

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2018, 09:37:19 AM »

Is there going to be a live band and stage monitors.

No live band. Monitors will just be layed across the front of the stage as they will be moving around.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2018, 08:31:10 PM »

No live band. Monitors will just be layed across the front of the stage as they will be moving around.

Could be tricky with E6 omni mics depending on how many mics and how much level they want in the monitors.

The Countryman IsoMax headset mics can sound as close to a handheld vocal mic on your lips and work well in monitors as your going to get short of a boom style headset with the mic element in front of your mouth.

JohnGarlick

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2018, 08:46:20 PM »

DPA 4088 all the way, you'll be able to get more gain out of it than any headset. I've been using it with pop artists for years and it proves itself time and time again. Unless they would be okay with a Crown 311...

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2018, 04:18:52 AM »

+1 on DPA 4088

I’ve used it on everything from singing performers to talking heads in front of the PA on large events, it get’s loud with good isolation and sounds great.

Miguel Dahl

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2018, 05:02:48 PM »

Also a +1 from me for the 4088's. Comparing to 4066 they don't give you the sonic quality (in my ears), but you'll be surprised when you're above your reference threshold when using 4066's and you still don't reach for the graphic or para to bring down that hollow-sounding frequency area.

Andrew Makinson

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2018, 12:00:16 PM »

I'm also looking for a higher gain option.  Anyone use the DPA 4188? 

My understanding of this DPA cardioid capsule is that it picks up from the side rather than the end of the boom.  This could be useful if there are wedges in use or to isolate from in front of the talker.  I have DPA d:fine with the 4166 omni, 4266 omni, and 4066 omni capsules.  I've been concerned that the cardioid capsules might have too much wind noise or be too unforgiving for less than perfect placement. 
--
Andrew Makinson
Grace Covenant Church
Chantilly, VA

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2018, 12:00:16 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 26 queries.