ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you listening to? Home Theater or Stereo.  (Read 18112 times)

Will Knight

• Queens, NY
Re: What are you listening to? Home Theater or Stereo.
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2018, 03:31:42 PM »

My basement is a bit on the small side so my setup just fits the spacing needed for work, music (Playback/Practice/Recording) & movies. All purchased new over time since 1974. 

Demon 3803 AVR; Samsung BRDVD Player
        Polk RM7500 Series Frt/Cntr/Surrx4 Speakers (1”HF, 5.25”LF) 
        Polk RM7500 Series Sub (Dual 12”)
        Project Debut & Music Hall 5 TT’s
        Akai GX747 & Technics X2000 R2R’s

Still sounds “d@mn good” to me....so I think I’ll keep it for a bit longer (my son certainly hopes so.. :D)

Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value — Albert Einstein.

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2018, 10:27:00 PM »

Apple TV 4K
Denon AVR
Volt10s from DIY soundgroup in ported enclosures.  No sub atm...  maybe a build in my future but we don’t critically listen to that many movies at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2018, 09:32:02 AM »

I actually listen to a pair of my PA speakers - 6.5" 2-way boxes, 18Sound 6ND430 midbass, DAS M3 HF. 1.6kHz crossover, and a well-treated cabinet.

Amp is an old Akai AM-2250 and it has the matching AT-2250 tuner. There's also a GL-75 turntable.

Sounds quite nice, and gets used for mixing stuff occasionally.
Having measured the amp, there's almost valve (tube) amp levels of 2nd order harmonic distortion.

If we're watching movies, I have the driver from a Tannoy TS10 subwoofer and a Behringer iNuke with the DSP settings dialled in for the sub. I run the sub amp from the second speaker output on the Akai amplifier, which works fine - the speakers are efficient so they never see enough voltage to clip the input stage of the iNuke.

I've a few parts on-hand for my next home HiFi speakers, but the design is TBC. I'd like to cut out the subwoofer and have a pair of main speakers that can dig below 30Hz on their own.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2018, 11:36:42 AM »

My wife made me put away my stereo equipment because it "looks ugly". lol.

We don't have the luxury of a "bonus room" of any kind. When it was set up it was a Sansui AUD-II integrated amp with a variety of inputs including Minidisc!

Speakers are things that I've built over the years. I have some open-baffle 1.5 ways that I really like. They use old EV Wolverine 8 incher's. I've also had some old Large Advents and several other speakers I've built.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2018, 11:47:35 AM »

I have a "stereo" for listening to music and a packaged 5.1 JBL rig for the home theater.

Stereo has Soundcraftsmen preamp (recapped, rechipped a couple years ago) and Hafler DH500 amp.  JBL monitors, don't recall the number.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Tom Roche

• Behind the Zion Curtain
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2018, 02:06:02 PM »

Home theater is an inexpensive Sony system: receiver, 5 cube size speakers and small sub.  It sounds surprising big.  Either my TV or the Comcast cable box no longer passes audio while watching TV or DVD/Blu-ray movies.  Haven't had the time to troubleshoot.

Stereo consists of Adcom amp, preamp, tuner, Marantz CD, Dual turntable, JBL 4410 monitors, a/d/s L570 speakers, and Definitive Technology 15" sub.

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2018, 04:47:06 PM »

Listening mostly while working on the computer, which means 2013 MacBook Pro ->Avid Eleven Guitar & Audio Interface -> Event Electronics Tuned Reference 6" Nearfield monitors.

Headphones - AKG K702. Comfy.

Mike Butler (media)

• http://www.mikebutlermedia.com
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2018, 11:42:00 PM »

LR:
McIntosh MC2022, C31V, MR7083
JBL 4311B fronts, ohmbru ctr channel, JBL in-wall install rears (forgot model #), JBL ES250P active sub
Samsung Blu-Ray, Technics SL table, Stanton 680 ctg, Amazon Bluetooth rcvr to feed audio from laptop, iPad, iPhone...
MBR:
Yamaha RX-V690 5.1 rcvr
Bose Acoustimass (don't laugh)
Sony Blu-Ray, no-name Bluetooth rcvr
Office:
Sony HTIB
Garage:
Denon DRA-545R 2-ch rcvr, Boston Acoustic HD-5, no-name Bluetooth rcvr
<a href="http://www.mikebutlermedia.com" target="_blank">http://www.mikebutlermedia.com</a>

Mike Butler Media * AV/video production * corporate event production * presentation services * marketing support * creative research * graphic design * photography

Marcus Baeumler

• Stuttgart Area, Germany
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2018, 06:51:24 AM »

The 5.1 setup in our living room had to go. It was old and was missing many of the bells and whistles I was looking for, starting with HDMI I/O...

I now have a Focal Dimension soundbar and subwoofer, an AppleTV and a Philips Buetooth receiver (and a Samsung 55" LED TV) since about 15 months.

All control is done with a Logitech Harmony remote system with Hub and touch remote, as well as an EchoDot for speech remote control (including lights etc.).

Very high WAF (wife acceptance factor) since the setup is very compact and the integrated remote control makes using it very easy.
The difference between theory and real life is that in theory there is no difference.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2018, 04:30:12 PM »

I don't see "AM talk radio in my car" in the list.

Seriously, I don't listen to music at home. I don't really have a good reason not to. Maybe I'm either too busy to sit down and listen, or I'm too lazy.

In the past, I've used my "lounge level" PA system. What I do now when I want to listen to music is Pandora on my phone, connected via the headphone out directly into a pair of EV ELX112P. I don't have a TV, so "home theater" really isn't an option.

It's more about having background noise than critical listening. And, with kids in the house, there's plenty of background noise already, so I don't play music often. Musical genres typically include classical and contemporary sacred (but not CCM).
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2018, 04:30:12 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 21 queries.