ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Two shocked at MGM National Harbor  (Read 2993 times)

Stephen Swaffer

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2081
Re: Two shocked at MGM National Harbor
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2018, 05:21:49 pm »

I'm surprised that the lack of bonding was overlooked- that is the main thing my inspectors look at-too many drivers in a box is something from an install manual that may or may not be available to the inspectors.

The reason I argued that lack of bonding is the primary cause is because even if rest of the install was perfect-the possibility still exists for a driver to fail energizing the rail.  Circuit breakers and fuses provide a great deal of protection-but proper bonding is a must for them to do their job.

Nothing to argue over ( obviously this is arm chair quarter backing) I simply wanted to make the point that bonding of metal handrails/ staging is critically important whether at the MGM or your next gig.
Logged
Steve Swaffer

David Buckley

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 565
Re: Two shocked at MGM National Harbor
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2018, 06:17:41 pm »

The reason I argued that lack of bonding is the primary cause...

One can argue over whether it is the primary cause or not, but of all that long list of bad stuff, it is the one thing that would have definitely saved a life, and as you note earlier, the case for having that metallic item grounded is strong.
Logged

Mike Sokol

  • Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3258
  • Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
Re: Two shocked at MGM National Harbor
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2018, 09:53:29 pm »

This story is back in the new today, with reports of not only several different code violations and improper installation procedures, but also that it may never have been inspected. And the police appear to be looking to attach blame (and liability) to whoever did the installation. So the next time someone asks you to cut corners on an installation, consider the consequences and liability if something goes wrong.

PALMER PARK, Md. — Four months after a 6-year-old girl visiting MGM National Harbor suffered an electric shock, she remains hospitalized with very serious injuries. The girl was hurt June 26 after touching an outdoor handrail near a fountain. And Prince George’s County Police are now shifting the focus of their investigation into why it happened.

“The investigation up to this point has not found a single point of failure, and has not identified a single bad actor,” Police Chief Hank Stawinski said at a Thursday afternoon news conference at police headquarters.

He said the investigation is widening to look at MGM National Harbor’s design, permitting, installation and inspection.

“The question we need to answer is: How did all of those elements get assembled so incorrectly as to lead to her injury?” said Stawinski. “I am not ruling out criminal responsibility.”

The chief was asked if police are looking at the possibility that public corruption played a role.

“The issue of public corruption has always been a part of our investigation. It’s not a new factor that we’re introducing into it, and the facts will take us where the facts take us,” he answered.

Stawinski says from the start of the investigation, his department has been receiving technical assistance from the FBI, and that will continue. He’s not sure how long the investigation will take, and asked for the community’s patience.

“This is extraordinarily complex. This will take time,” he said.

“We will spare no resource in learning what happened to her,” added County State’s Attorney Angela Alsobrooks. “We believe that she deserves answers, and her family deserves answers.”
Logged
Mike Sokol
mike@noshockzone.org
www.NoShockZone.org
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
 


Page created in 0.065 seconds with 21 queries.