ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Two shocked at MGM National Harbor  (Read 2969 times)

Mike Sokol

  • Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3254
  • Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
Re: Two shocked at MGM National Harbor
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2018, 06:47:37 am »

I've just written the Stray Voltage Detection app. It's foolproof.

Before you test for stray voltage, you press the "About to test" button. 

Then you touch the surface that you think might the electrified. 

After that, you press the "OK, I didn't die" button on the app. 

If you don't press the second button, the app reports that stray voltage was present.

A variation of "Hey, watch this"...
Logged
Mike Sokol
mike@noshockzone.org
www.NoShockZone.org

John Roberts {JR}

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 16145
  • Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
Re: Two shocked at MGM National Harbor
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2018, 09:24:39 am »

I've just written the Stray Voltage Detection app. It's foolproof.

Before you test for stray voltage, you press the "About to test" button. 

Then you touch the surface that you think might the electrified. 

After that, you press the "OK, I didn't die" button on the app. 

If you don't press the second button, the app reports that stray voltage was present.
Except the body laying there is a dead giveaway.  :o

JR
Logged
On the internet people tell you everything "they" know, not the answer to "your" question.....  http://circularscience.com/

Chris Hindle

  • SR Forums
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1378
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
Re: Two shocked at MGM National Harbor
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2018, 11:51:36 am »

I've just written the Stray Voltage Detection app. It's foolproof.

Before you test for stray voltage, you press the "About to test" button. 

Then you touch the surface that you think might the electrified. 

After that, you press the "OK, I didn't die" button on the app. 

If you don't press the second button, the app reports that stray voltage was present.
What happens if the phone get's fried ?
No report to "App Central"
Life is too complicated. All these Apps, Smartphones, Social this and that.
I'm old-skool.
Just wear a Fluke volt-alert around you neck.
Chris ::)
Logged
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Dave Garoutte

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1280
  • San Rafael, CA
Re: Two shocked at MGM National Harbor
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2018, 12:32:25 pm »

The trick is to touch with the back of your finger so the grip reflex pulls you away.
Logged
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.
Inventor.

Ed Hall

  • Classic LAB
  • Full Member
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 137
  • Lansdale, PA
Re: Two shocked at MGM National Harbor
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2018, 03:12:13 pm »

The trick is to touch with the back of your finger so the grip reflex pulls you away.

+1
Logged
I can't change reality just because you don't like it!

Mike Sokol

  • Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3254
  • Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
Re: Two shocked at MGM National Harbor
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2018, 07:13:45 pm »

The trick is to touch with the back of your finger so the grip reflex pulls you away.

Yup, I was taught to always scrape a knuckle on any box or wire that had ANY chance of being electrified. Even after I metered it and confirmed it wasn't hot. I just never grab onto anything metal any more. Learned my lesson in my youth...
Logged
Mike Sokol
mike@noshockzone.org
www.NoShockZone.org

Tim McCulloch

  • SR Forums
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 19357
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Two shocked at MGM National Harbor
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2018, 01:16:31 am »

More about the MGM National Harbor electrocution in the Washington Post.  Seems there were multiple Code violations.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 01:22:12 am by Tim McCulloch »
Logged
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Mike Sokol

  • Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3254
  • Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
Re: Two shocked at MGM National Harbor
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2018, 07:22:49 am »

More about the MGM National Harbor electrocution in the Washington Post.  Seems there were multiple Code violations.

Yes, just saw it on the morning news a few mintues ago. I'll look at this in more detail later, but the reporter said somthing about the 12-volt lighting was accidentally connected directly to 120 volts.
Logged
Mike Sokol
mike@noshockzone.org
www.NoShockZone.org

Stephen Swaffer

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2077
Re: Two shocked at MGM National Harbor
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2018, 10:52:47 am »

As an electrician that article is painful story to try and read-mainly because the writer is obviously clueless but that is probably true of most reporting.  Sounds like a lot of short cuts took place on that job.

The ONE thing that would have absolutely prevented the shock ( not electrocution thankfully ) would have been that little phrase requiring " anything that is likely to be energized to be bonded ".  A lighted handrail has to be considere " likely to be energized ".  Had the 2 handrails been bonded to a common grounding electrode system, the lights might not have worked, and might even have let the smoke out, but no innocent bystander would have been hurt.  Everything else to me is poor workmanship and part of the failure- but lack of bonding is the root cause.
Logged
Steve Swaffer

Jonathan Johnson

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2916
  • Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
Re: Two shocked at MGM National Harbor
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2018, 04:20:21 pm »

Everything else to me is poor workmanship and part of the failure- but lack of bonding is the root cause.

I'd suggest that lack of bonding/grounding is a secondary cause. The root (or primary) cause is whatever causes something that should not be energized to become energized. Bonding/grounding provides a secondary means of protection should the primary means of protection (electrical insulation or connecting things properly) fail.

But that's just nitpicking language.
Logged
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
 


Page created in 0.063 seconds with 21 queries.