ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: When to 3 phase?  (Read 10443 times)

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
Re: When to 3 phase?
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2018, 05:32:34 PM »

Any generator is limited by the mains breaker. My 45kW has a 110A/3Ø mains breaker.
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2018, 07:49:25 PM »

480/1.73=277
240/1.73=139
208/1.73=120

Just math and simple physics
Steve Swaffer

Jeremy Young

• Brown Bear Sound
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2018, 08:05:39 PM »

I love picture time, hehe. Thanks Ray, and everyone else!
Brown Bear Sound
Victoria BC Canada
Live Events - Life Events - Corporate Events

Tom Bourke

• http://www.cwalv.com
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2018, 05:18:03 PM »

The voltage fine adjustment is not pictured and that's where I find changes have been made by the previous user.

Voltage drop over 300ft of #16 orange extension cords?  Turn up the voltage rather than use larger wire or moving the genset.  I had one rental unit show up with the correct selection switch setting but putting out 156v on the Edison convenience outlet.  A screwdriver fixed that in 15 seconds.

Next item- NEVER trust the volt meters on the genset.  No horror story of my own but have heard enough about guys/gals mis-reading or blindly trusting them and not noticing 140v instead of ~120v.
The most memorable time was 150V to the food service trucks.  The cooks commented how FAST everything was cooking!

I was told by the generator company that many of the construction crews turn it up to get more zip out of their power tools.
I have a mild form of Dyslexia that affects my ability to spell.  I do use spell checking to help but it does not always work.  My form of Dyslexia does not affect my reading.  Dyslexics of the world untie! <a href="http://www.cwalv.com" target="_blank">http://www.cwalv.com</a>

Joseph D. Macry

• Austin TX
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2018, 05:05:28 PM »

I have been told that if your genny frequency is not precisely 60.0 Hz, tone-wheel organs will be out of tune. True?
Joseph Macry,
Austin, TX

Curt Sorensen

« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2018, 05:20:04 PM »

I've heard it happen, digital keyboard and harmonicas were in tune, B3 not so much. Generator had no tweak available, so we ran 100' 12/3 to the neighbors, problem solved.
Curt Sorensen
Madison, Wisconsin

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2018, 08:23:08 PM »

I have been told that if your genny frequency is not precisely 60.0 Hz, tone-wheel organs will be out of tune. True?

Yes.  They use synchronous motors.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

John Fruits

« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2018, 10:25:33 PM »

Yes.  They use synchronous motors.

I wonder if the classic studio trick for vari-speed for a tape deck would work, a Crown DC300 and a sine wave generator. 
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2018, 03:39:50 PM »

I wonder if the classic studio trick for vari-speed for a tape deck would work, a Crown DC300 and a sine wave generator.
Without a step-up transformer, a DC300 wouldn't come close to 120 Volt output- there must be more to "the classic studio trick".

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2018, 03:50:25 PM »

Tried to run a Hammond on a "construction grade 3500 Watt gen set and this is a real problem.  The new "inverter type" generators probably won't have this problem.  One additional problem with 3-phase, but not with any generator I know of is what is called (in my older down town area) "wild leg 3-phase".  I think there is a correct technical name for this that I don't remember.  When measuring between each leg and ground or neutral, two of the legs measure 120V and the remaining leg measures 240V!  Three phase motors run fine on this, but if a guitar amp or some other 120V only gear gets plugged into the "wild leg", you'll have magic blue smoke!

Another caution speaking of guitar amps.  I have seen the "fine" voltage adjust on generators set to almost 140V as was mentioned above.  This can also destroy some 120V gear, especially vintage amps.  I had this happen before we have even connected our distro and measured voltages.  An anxious guitar player that wanted to hear his "find of a lifetime" vintage amp hooked himself up to the gen set's 120V outlets only to have his new prize melt-down in the first few minutes.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2018, 03:50:25 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.