ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: When to 3 phase?  (Read 10447 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: When to 3 phase?
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2018, 10:27:25 AM »

"Gosh, Tom, how does the voltage get changed?"

PICTURE TIME! (I wish I had already gotten my generator wrapped with my company logo and such, so it'd look way cooler than it does.... alas.)

1) (45kW.jpg) Here's a typical 45kW WhisperWatt.

2) (LookHere.jpg) This is the side panel you'll probably need to open.

3) (Inside.jpg) Here's what it looks like inside.

4) (ModeSelect.jpg) This is the voltage selection switch. THE ENGINE MUST BE OFF WHEN CHANGING THIS SWITCH.

5) (lugs.jpg) The graphics on the lugs, showing you which lugs to connect to based on the output you want. We have cam tails attached to the generator permanently, so I don't have to futz with these anymore. When someone has 1Ø cams/distro (a distro with 1Ø cams) I attach to my black and blue cam tails, that are wired to "U" and "W" respectively.

-Ray

The voltage fine adjustment is not pictured and that's where I find changes have been made by the previous user.

Voltage drop over 300ft of #16 orange extension cords?  Turn up the voltage rather than use larger wire or moving the genset.  I had one rental unit show up with the correct selection switch setting but putting out 156v on the Edison convenience outlet.  A screwdriver fixed that in 15 seconds.

Next item- NEVER trust the volt meters on the genset.  No horror story of my own but have heard enough about guys/gals mis-reading or blindly trusting them and not noticing 140v instead of ~120v.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2018, 10:29:12 AM »

Been renting small MQ15kVA generators for a few years.  Got lined up at another rental co and the smallest they offer is a 25kVA. Same price too, and about 30 mins closer to their shop.

Their 25kVA has 3-phase option.  When / why would I do that?  What benefits do I get from 3 phase versus regular ass 1 phase. 

And what about 240 vs 120.  I think virtually all my gear is “universal power supply” type where it’ll take 100-250v or whatever. 

Teach me.

If you don't have a 3 phase distro and 3 phase rackpacks and 5 conductor wiring, you use single (split) phase.  That's it.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

John Fruits

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2018, 10:54:42 AM »

First  of all, a "LIKE" to Ray.
More fuzziness in my head, re: the mode select image, it says "3 phase, 240/139V" Somebody please explain.
Thanks
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2018, 11:15:14 AM »

The voltage fine adjustment is not pictured and that's where I find changes have been made by the previous user.
Here's the back panel of a typical WhisperWatt. (Controls.jpg) (Why yes, the same one from before. haha.) As Tim mentioned, you can see "Voltage Regulator" at the top of the controls. The meter next to it is Hertz (frequency), so you need to look down for the "V" meter.

Here's a closer look at that Voltage Meter (VoltageMeter.jpg). Note the black knob to the left. That allows you to chose which legs you are measuring between. It's set for W-U right now, since it's in 1Ø mode. This selection knob will let you measure between the other leg if you change to 3Ø mode. To be candid, it's always in W-U since whether we're in 1Ø or 3Ø, that setting is always measuring.

Next item- NEVER trust the volt meters on the genset.  No horror story of my own but have heard enough about guys/gals mis-reading or blindly trusting them and not noticing 140v instead of ~120v.
Yep.

As you adjust the Voltage Regulator at the top, you will see this "V" meter change. Best Practice would be to have someone at your spider box/distro with a meter, and they call the change, "up," "down," "bump a bit," and "perfect." This way you are allowing for any voltage drop over the cable (as opposed to metering the generator courtesy outlets) and getting the optimal voltage at your gear.

Side note: Newer generators have a "Reduced power" setting. I guess it's beneficial to the engine to start it in "low power," and then wait for it to warm up before going to "full power?" That reduced power will affect the voltage though! I had a rental unit at a show once where I was measuring about 70V leg-to-neutral. I was wondering what-the-eff was wrong with it, when I saw the "low power" setting engaged. Disengaged it, and it throttled right up to full power and voltage!

Take away: ALWAYS inspect all settings before starting the generator. :)

Bonus points: I've not touched anything on my WhisperWatt since it was used on Sunday, other than opening the panel. Can you see what is "not a best practice" that's shown in these pictures?

-Ray
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 11:17:56 AM by Ray Aberle »
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2018, 11:20:59 AM »

First  of all, a "LIKE" to Ray.
Thanks. :)

More fuzziness in my head, re: the mode select image, it says "3 phase, 240/139V" Somebody please explain.
I know 139V is a factor somewhere (I think because it's part of the 3Ø equation?), I just can't state exactly what. That top position, though, is what we use for 3Ø operation, where it measures 120V leg to G/N and 208V leg-to-leg. (139V is 2/3 of 208V...)

I've never used it in 3Ø 480/277 mode.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2018, 11:54:01 AM »

Thanks. :)
I know 139V is a factor somewhere (I think because it's part of the 3Ø equation?), I just can't state exactly what. That top position, though, is what we use for 3Ø operation, where it measures 120V leg to G/N and 208V leg-to-leg. (139V is 2/3 of 208V...)

I've never used it in 3Ø 480/277 mode.

-Ray
If you regulate your voltage so you get 240v leg to leg, then your leg to neutral voltage will rise to 139v.  This is not desirable if you are using line to neutral loads, as 139v is way above spec, but is apparently provided for motor loads that require 240v instead of 208v.

This is a good example of why metering is essential.

John Daniluk (JD)

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2018, 12:41:23 PM »

ray  I like your post

A little note on setting voltage.  There may be a high voltage shutdown on the generator....I try and not exceed 120v at generator.   If you have low voltage at distro you may need to get larger feeder cable. 

When using a single phase distro on 3 phase,  monitor the neutral current (amps)  you will see significant amperage,  do not exceed the current capability of the wire used for the neutral.

inside the generator there is usually a hidden reset button.  If you do not have ac out look at the instructions on the control door/panel to know where it is.   

learn how to balance power on the various legs.

My suggestion for you is to talk to your generator provider.  Get some hands on instruction on the generator(s) you are using.  Discuss with them what you are trying to do and they will help you plan for your power growth. 

There are many safety issues with distros, commercial ac, generators, grounding, etc. 

off topic but the schools for our industry do not teach enough about working with ac.

jd

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2018, 03:52:02 PM »

Take away: ALWAYS inspect all settings before starting the generator. :)

Bonus points: I've not touched anything on my WhisperWatt since it was used on Sunday, other than opening the panel. Can you see what is "not a best practice" that's shown in these pictures?

-Ray

Yes.  The main circuit breaker is in the "on" position which means it was likely disconnected with the breaker in the same operational state.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2018, 03:55:30 PM »

Yes.  The main circuit breaker is in the "on" position which means it was likely disconnected with the breaker in the same operational state.
Thar be it. My team shut it down without killing the main breaker first. Best Practices is to shut off main breaker, and then let the generator run for a few additional minutes at no load for a "cool down" period.

(Don't worry, I'll fire everyone involved.)
Kelcema Audio

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2018, 05:06:27 PM »

I have only used 35kw and 45kw units.
I remember that the 35 had 2 California connectors but I think the 45 had 3. Would the 45kw still be limited to 60a across all three?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2018, 05:06:27 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 24 queries.