ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Upgrade danley sm80  (Read 23319 times)

Geert Friedhof

Re: Upgrade danley sm80
« Reply #80 on: July 11, 2018, 09:18:35 PM »

@Jeremy:

Yes, the CXA is intended for monitor use, buti it's also conical coaxial, like the sm80. So i was just interested in comparing the two.

That's why i wrote 'suspect'. The ease data suggests so.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #81 on: July 11, 2018, 09:24:56 PM »

I finally had a chance to listen to the RCF TTL6-A speakers in person over the weekend.  A long-time client of mine is using them as his new A-rig. As deployed in the linked photo gallery, the speakers sounded VERY good and provided good GBF used in a live bluegrass situation.  The rig had ample headroom and still sounded crystal clear in the parking area all the way above and behind the main seating area.  I am thoroughly impressed with this rig and would highly recommend it to anyone looking for an upgrade in this class.

My client is based in the MD area so if you'd like to take a listen yourself, please contact me.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/T95P3C3eTgJZrXEy5

Jeff

Thanks for the report and pictures!  Sound quality aside and putting my corporate hat on I like how clean the deployment looks.  Knowing that you’re also a user of the SH46, how do they compare to the TTL6-A and if you had to buy one or the other, which would you take?  I also know RCF makes the companion TTL6-AS but so far in my research on these systems see very few of the AS variant in use.  Why might that be?  Thanks!

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
« Reply #82 on: July 11, 2018, 11:20:31 PM »

I like how clean the deployment looks.

While looking at the photos, "clean" was not a word that came to mind for me.

John Schalk

« Reply #83 on: July 12, 2018, 11:04:14 AM »

Is that one over one for a total of four TTL 6A boxes, or is it one TTL6A and one bass module per side?  I didn't see any other subs in the photo, although for blue grass, you don't need a lot of thump.

The TT 25-CXA is a very interesting box.  That is a lot of output from a 40lb box that includes the power amp.  What do you feel is the -3dB point?

Jeffrey Knorr - JRKLabs.com

• JRKLabs.com
« Reply #84 on: July 12, 2018, 11:06:54 AM »

Do you sell roofs?  You should.

Haha, no I don't currently sell roofs.  The roof wasn't my client's either.

Jeff

• JRKLabs.com
« Reply #85 on: July 12, 2018, 11:10:00 AM »

Is that one over one for a total of four TTL 6A boxes, or is it one TTL6A and one bass module per side?  I didn't see any other subs in the photo, although for blue grass, you don't need a lot of thump.

The TT 25-CXA is a very interesting box.  That is a lot of output from a 40lb box that includes the power amp.  What do you feel is the -3dB point?

It's a total of four TTL 6A boxes, one over one per side.  There are two Yorkville LS801P subs per side that aren't in the pictures.  The RCF's have very decent low-frequency response on their own based on feedback from my client.  I wasn't able to hear that for myself first hand though since the gig was already ongoing.

Jeff

• JRKLabs.com
« Reply #86 on: July 12, 2018, 11:11:00 AM »

While looking at the photos, "clean" was not a word that came to mind for me.

The flown RCF rig is very clean in appearance--the staging and roof was not provided by me or my client.

Jeff

David Allred

« Reply #87 on: July 12, 2018, 11:18:37 AM »

The RCF's have very decent low-frequency response.

Decent = meh?  So, very meh?   ;D ;)

• JRKLabs.com
« Reply #88 on: July 12, 2018, 11:21:17 AM »

Thanks for the report and pictures!  Sound quality aside and putting my corporate hat on I like how clean the deployment looks.  Knowing that you’re also a user of the SH46, how do they compare to the TTL6-A and if you had to buy one or the other, which would you take?  I also know RCF makes the companion TTL6-AS but so far in my research on these systems see very few of the AS variant in use.  Why might that be?  Thanks!

Those are tougher questions to answer!  I'll try to break it down a little bit:
Deployment - I really like the appearance of the flown RCF rig.  I have only ever ground stacked SH46's on scaffolding--that's a much wider and seemingly labor intensive endeavor.  Theoretically SH46's could be flown in a similar fashion as the RCF's were in this picture.  That would make it a much more interesting comparison.

Sound quality - Out of the box, the RCF's are self-powered boxes and have a very flat response and hi-fi sound to them.  Similarly, SH46's sound fairly good out of the box but can use some additional processing to really shine to their full potential.  I would have to give an edge to overall pattern control to the Danleys but the horn-loaded RCF's are far better than most.  The RCF's have a flatter low-end response vs. the SH46's.  When the SH46's are used two or more per side that's less of an issue (as their low-end couples).  They still don't extend as low in response as the RCF's do though.  I don't think the RCF AS cabinets would be necessary unless you wanted extreme low bass response/headroom.

Output - I think the SH46's probably have the slight SPL advantage but for most people, it'd be a lot easier/safer to run the RCF's closer to their limits (with their self-powered and internal processing advantage).

My client actually had SH46's in mind for his new rig when he was introduced to the RCFs.  I think he would have been happy with either option but he has been extremely pleased with his purchase thus far.  It would be a tough decision for me to make for you--I highly recommend getting in front of both rigs so that you can make the call for yourself.

Thank you,

Jeff

• JRKLabs.com
« Reply #89 on: July 12, 2018, 11:24:11 AM »

Decent = meh?  So, very meh?   ;D ;)

Not at all, I wasn't able to hear them without subs, but my client has used them at multiple smaller events without subs and not missed the subs at all.  That's far better low-frequency response than most competing products in this class.

Jeff

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #89 on: July 12, 2018, 11:24:11 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 25 queries.