ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Upgrade danley sm80  (Read 23343 times)

Peter Morris

Re: Upgrade danley sm80
« Reply #50 on: July 04, 2018, 07:45:24 PM »

Peter;

Have you stacked them in pairs and any problems I should look out for?

Thanks again;
        Douglas R Allen

Sorry for topic swerve.

Yes, no problems operating in pairs - one on top of the other with the horns together, just dial in the setting for 2 boxes and away you go. You do notice a significant, almost 6 dB increase in output, much more that you get sticking 2 x 12"+ horn speakers side by side.

The only issue in this configuration is being able to get the boxes high enough (safely) to take advantage of their performance.

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #51 on: July 04, 2018, 09:01:42 PM »

Yes, no problems operating in pairs - one on top of the other with the horns together, just dial in the setting for 2 boxes and away you go. You do notice a significant, almost 6 dB increase in output, much more that you get sticking 2 x 12"+ horn speakers side by side.

The only issue in this configuration is being able to get the boxes high enough (safely) to take advantage of their performance.

Thank you.

I have a very high rt room in August that will be the first time I can try the stack.  A single stack should yeild the best sound in there.

Kindest regards;
        Douglas R. Allen

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #52 on: July 04, 2018, 09:22:51 PM »

Thank you.

I have a very high rt room in August that will be the first time I can try the stack.  A single stack should yeild the best sound in there.

Kindest regards;
        Douglas R. Allen
With ANY loudspeaker, a SINGLE unit will sound better than multiples.

Yes multiples may be louder, but due to 2 arrivals, will not sound better or clearer.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Renard Hurtado

« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2018, 12:09:15 AM »

Hi All,

I have 4 IG4T and really like these boxes.  I bought them about two months ago, since then my EV ETX-35P and my beloved SRX-725, have been vacationing.

Two stacked on top of each other, really shines, getting vocals out of a` mix is very very easy with these boxes.

The small footprint is fantastic, first time I used them was a show by a choir and with various solo artists, open air in front of a national museum, around 600 people.after the show lots of folks came up to me and ask me, if i had some other speakers hiddeen somewhere in the trees.

I am using them with a pair os DbTechn sub18H a side,

This is one of the best investments I have made, next to some QSC HPR-122 I cannot break or destroy.

In a ball room they had two big screens left and right, when i walked in the organizer told me, sorry but there is almost no place fo put your speakers. he left the room, he came back during soundcheck, furious expecting to find my boxes blocking the screens, when he opened the door, he just stood and shook his head......he could believe these slim towers next to the screens, was producing this much clean and clear sound !

Peter Morris

« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2018, 01:49:04 AM »

With ANY loudspeaker, a SINGLE unit will sound better than multiples.

Yes multiples may be louder, but due to 2 arrivals, will not sound better or clearer.

In this case you only really get 1 arrival, its not perfect but in practice it works quite well - The horn is at the top of the box and its horizontal pattern is +20 - 50 degrees, below that there are 4 x 6.5" drivers.  The design of the horn allows two horns to be place on top of each other with the top horn (and box) inverted.

The concept is a bit like cutting an SBH20 in half with each section covering 0 to -10 degrees and using half for a small show and stacking the two halves together for a larger show.

Its not perfect but its MUCH better than you get when you stack two normal boxes together.  It also allows a little beam steering. 

By doing this dB Tech have added a little bit of scale-ability into the system. 

David Allred

« Reply #55 on: July 05, 2018, 07:10:07 AM »

In a ball room they had two big screens left and right, when i walked in the organizer told me, sorry but there is almost no place fo put your speakers. he left the room, he came back during soundcheck, furious expecting to find my boxes blocking the screens, when he opened the door, he just stood and shook his head......he could believe these slim towers next to the screens, was producing this much clean and clear sound !

The organizer was mad that you succeeded?

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #56 on: July 05, 2018, 07:25:51 AM »

In this case you only really get 1 arrival, its not perfect but in practice it works quite well - The horn is at the top of the box and its horizontal pattern is +20 - 50 degrees, below that there are 4 x 6.5" drivers.  The design of the horn allows two horns to be place on top of each other with the top horn (and box) inverted.

The concept is a bit like cutting an SBH20 in half with each section covering 0 to -10 degrees and using half for a small show and stacking the two halves together for a larger show.

Its not perfect but its MUCH better than you get when you stack two normal boxes together.  It also allows a little beam steering. 

By doing this dB Tech have added a little bit of scale-ability into the system.
I would argue differently.

"It depends" on what freq you are talking about. and at what distance.

At the lower to middle freq, sure you will have one apparent arrival.  But at the higher freq, where the wavelengths get small, the arrivals MUST be closer and closer to gather in order to have a "single arrival".  This is generally considered to be less than 1/4 wavelength.

10KHz is 1.4", this would be a difference of 0.35".

The SBH products are NOT radiating into the same area.

Each of the lenses covers a different part of the total radiation pattern.

That is exactly why line arrays have issues, different drivers cover the same area, arriving at different times, resulting in comb filtering-or smearing.

This results is a loss of detail and clarity.

Here is a little video of what is going on inside the SBH products and how it is achieved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8cX5Xs_vZg

A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Peter Morris

« Reply #57 on: July 05, 2018, 09:33:18 AM »

The SBH products are NOT radiating into the same area.

Each of the lenses covers a different part of the total radiation pattern.

Yes I understand that, and that's what dB are trying to do to some extent with the asymmetrical horn design.

They can be stacked with the two horn together, the top horn covering 0 to about +40 degree and the bottom horn 0 to - 40 degree (best guess for two boxes) ... its a compromise but it works.

I'm sure it does not as well as dedicated single box but as a compromise its much better than sticking two standard boxes together. In this case two boxes give you almost 6 dB more output, with standard boxes its more like 3 dB and a loss of articulation.

Renard Hurtado

« Reply #58 on: July 06, 2018, 01:37:10 AM »

The organizer was mad that you succeeded?

yes, when he was outside he heared the loud sound coming from the exhibition hall, I guess he thought that the  big boxes were placed in his absence in front of the screens..........but when he walked into the room, his madness faded away !

David Allred

« Reply #59 on: July 06, 2018, 09:14:29 AM »

yes, when he was outside he heared the loud sound coming from the exhibition hall, I guess he thought that the  big boxes were placed in his absence in front of the screens..........but when he walked into the room, his madness faded away !
That makes more sense that he jumped to a conclusion.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #59 on: July 06, 2018, 09:14:29 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 23 queries.