ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Upgrade danley sm80  (Read 23349 times)

bren collins

Re: Upgrade danley sm80
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2018, 07:54:45 PM »

It is important to look and consider more than the "simple max SPL" numbers.

You must know where they come from, and more importantly, what does it sound like at those SPLs?

If you simply want loud, then run a piece of metal through a table saw.

Just because a loudspeaker can produce a particular SPL, does not mean you want to listen to it at that SPL.

This is where side by side testing is important, but is often hard to do.

The "simple numbers" can get you in trouble if you are not careful.

I’m not looking for simply a number but instead boxes that have similar or better tonal quality than the sm80 while providing more output...... and yes I’m needing the output up front not really the back I have delay stacks for when I do need more output in the back up front is where my demand needs to be met..... I wouldn’t mind a speaker that could be pole mountable as I don’t think one has been mentioned yet except the t24 maybe but I’m not even sure if it has one, sh96 I simply just to heavy love the box but way to heavy for me I need under 120 pounds for sure

Rick Powell

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2018, 09:40:20 PM »

The PM 60/PM 90 is the loudest pole mountable speaker I know of, in the 80 lb range. There are heavier speakers that have had a pole mount, but really...would you want to?

Mike Santarelli

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2018, 09:30:01 AM »

The PM 60/PM 90 is the loudest pole mountable speaker I know of, in the 80 lb range. There are heavier speakers that have had a pole mount, but really...would you want to?

Where is the best place to find info about these?  found a few references online but not much.

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2018, 10:39:12 AM »

Lance Hallmark

• Tampa Bay, FL
    • Hallmark Events & Entertainment
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2018, 12:17:13 PM »

How much more SPL are you being asked for, and what type of space/venue are you trying to cover?

The SM80 is rated for 128dB continuous (65-lbs)
The SH96HO is rated for 133dB continuous (220-lbs)

We use the JTR Speakers Noesis 3TX speakers, which are rated for 133dB continuous but only weigh 50 pounds or so. They have interchangeable horns, so if you need more throw, you can order them with a 60x40 (instead of 90x60).

We've had great results with the 3TX; just did a show at a soccer stadium over the weekend with them... bacon and beer festival with about 3500 people in attendance. We had benefit of some gain compliments of the grandstands, but we were hitting 96-98dB at FOH (75 feet out) with the master fader riding at about 50%.

The event and venue had noise limits, so we couldn't push them any farther... but they had a ton of headroom left.

There are a bunch of variables, of course, but the 3TX are pretty effective at delivering clear, powerful sound. They don't need much processing, which is also nice.

And as mentioned, if rider acceptance is a requirement, then you may have to look elsewhere.

I second the Noesis 3TX. Very clear, very loud, great sound quality & construction. Cross over at 80 hz so a true 4 way setup with subs. I have not run mine over about 60% and have done rave type events for over 500 people.
----------------------------------------------------
Lance Hallmark
Hallmark Events & Entertainment
Chamsys, Crown, Danley, EV, JTR, Powersoft, Yamaha

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2018, 12:34:42 PM »

I have not run mine over about 60%
I am always curious about when people quote %.

What does that REALLY mean?

If talking about power, then 50% is 3dB. So 60% would mean you had 2.5dB left?

Or are you talking about perceived loudness?  How is that determined?

If twice as loud is approx 10dB, then if you are running at 60%, that would mean you have about 8dB left?

Or does it mean something else?

Just curious.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

John L Nobile

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2018, 12:40:10 PM »

How much extra SPL do you need? The SM80 can get quite loud for it's size but if that's not close to your needs, you may have to bite the bullet and get something that is too heavy for a "pole". Visuals are important as well. I've had BE's look at my SH96HO's and say "that's not enough PA". I can't imagine what they'd say if they saw an SOS.

BTW, they were fine after hearing them.

Frederik Rosenkjær

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2018, 02:46:41 PM »

You say you are using Powersoft amps. So was I until a year ago. What are your limiter settings? With the limiter settings I was using on my Powersoft amps (K6/10 and X) I was limiting them way too soon, as I found out when I switched to Linea Research/Danley amps with official presets. I’ve gained probably at least 6 dB on the SM80!
Affiliations: Danley Sound Labs, Yamaha (MI)

Lance Hallmark

• Tampa Bay, FL
    • Hallmark Events & Entertainment
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2018, 04:01:33 PM »

I am always curious about when people quote %.

What does that REALLY mean?

If talking about power, then 50% is 3dB. So 60% would mean you had 2.5dB left?

Or are you talking about perceived loudness?  How is that determined?

If twice as loud is approx 10dB, then if you are running at 60%, that would mean you have about 8dB left?

Or does it mean something else?

Just curious.

Sometimes I forget which Forum I'm on when replying, lol.
In this case, I currently run these 4 ohm configured speakers on a Crown XTI6002. Most shows I've done with them are been showing intermittent flashing of the -20db indicator. The loudest I've run them up to was an intermittent flashing of the -10 db indicator. No accurate sound measurements taken, just a seat of the pants guess that there is a reasonable amount of usable volume left over where I have run them to date.
----------------------------------------------------
Lance Hallmark
Hallmark Events & Entertainment
Chamsys, Crown, Danley, EV, JTR, Powersoft, Yamaha

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2018, 04:29:40 PM »

-10dB on an XTI6002 is around 120w into 8ohm.

You're barely tickling them. So long as the program material is fairly dynamic, I'd expect decent sound until the red lights come on.

Push the fader. They'll get louder.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2018, 04:29:40 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 26 queries.