ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Upgrade danley sm80  (Read 23324 times)

bren collins

Upgrade danley sm80
« on: June 25, 2018, 01:56:06 PM »

Hey guys I’m looking to upgrade from my sm80’s currently powering them with a powersoft k3 with proper limiters, passive or powered is fine with me if passive I’ll be using a powersoft amp...... my goal is pretty much higher spl they do the job fine as far as coverage most the times but I’m getting requests for very high spl numbers it seems more and more and the sm80’s just can’t reach that, I love them they sound great keep tonal quality at a distance but I need more.... I looked at a pair of sh46’s and just not sure want other options. I also  Thought about 4 perside rcf hdl20 but that’s a little more money than I’d want to spend.... anyways just wanting to see what u guys suggest!

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
Re: Upgrade danley sm80
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 02:36:36 PM »

Hey guys I’m looking to upgrade from my sm80’s currently powering them with a powersoft k3 with proper limiters, passive or powered is fine with me if passive I’ll be using a powersoft amp...... my goal is pretty much higher spl they do the job fine as far as coverage most the times but I’m getting requests for very high spl numbers it seems more and more and the sm80’s just can’t reach that, I love them they sound great keep tonal quality at a distance but I need more.... I looked at a pair of sh46’s and just not sure want other options. I also  Thought about 4 perside rcf hdl20 but that’s a little more money than I’d want to spend.... anyways just wanting to see what u guys suggest!
If you can manage the logistics, the Danley SH96HO is pretty killer.

John L Nobile

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 03:25:53 PM »

If you can manage the logistics, the Danley SH96HO is pretty killer.

Very nice speakers. I'm still amazed at how loud they get yet still sound clean. I'd have to question their rider acceptance though.

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 03:56:37 PM »

How much more SPL are you being asked for, and what type of space/venue are you trying to cover?

The SM80 is rated for 128dB continuous (65-lbs)
The SH96HO is rated for 133dB continuous (220-lbs)

We use the JTR Speakers Noesis 3TX speakers, which are rated for 133dB continuous but only weigh 50 pounds or so. They have interchangeable horns, so if you need more throw, you can order them with a 60x40 (instead of 90x60).

We've had great results with the 3TX; just did a show at a soccer stadium over the weekend with them... bacon and beer festival with about 3500 people in attendance. We had benefit of some gain compliments of the grandstands, but we were hitting 96-98dB at FOH (75 feet out) with the master fader riding at about 50%.

The event and venue had noise limits, so we couldn't push them any farther... but they had a ton of headroom left.

There are a bunch of variables, of course, but the 3TX are pretty effective at delivering clear, powerful sound. They don't need much processing, which is also nice.

And as mentioned, if rider acceptance is a requirement, then you may have to look elsewhere.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 04:00:57 PM by Steve Litscher »

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2018, 04:02:06 PM »

Aside from the SH46 and SH96HO mentioned, you might also consider something like the TW T24N:

https://www.twaudio.de/en/product/t-series/t24n-neoclassic

Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2018, 04:03:47 PM »

The Peter Morris DIY's (PM90 and PM60) on Soundforums fill the bill, other than you gotta build em lol

I really want to audition the TW Audio T24N.  73lbs of kick ass, it appears.  Maybe worth a trip to Knoxville, TN.

Seeburg K24 looks good too, at 77lbs, but where to find in the US?

I'm sure there are other high-output lightweight champs, but these are all I know in this type and weight category.
I figure these all have at least an easy 6dB jump on the SM80.

Having built Peter's design, I personally can't see going to anything heavier, unless of course it's a major jump in coverage area....

Haha...I see Mike just beat me to the TN24N

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2018, 06:30:43 PM »

It is important to look and consider more than the "simple max SPL" numbers.

You must know where they come from, and more importantly, what does it sound like at those SPLs?

If you simply want loud, then run a piece of metal through a table saw.

Just because a loudspeaker can produce a particular SPL, does not mean you want to listen to it at that SPL.

This is where side by side testing is important, but is often hard to do.

The "simple numbers" can get you in trouble if you are not careful.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2018, 07:00:25 PM »

Aside from the SH46 and SH96HO mentioned, you might also consider something like the TW T24N:

https://www.twaudio.de/en/product/t-series/t24n-neoclassic
Another echo for SH96HO, SH46's, or T24N. 

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2018, 07:35:06 PM »

It is important to look and consider more than the "simple max SPL" numbers.

You must know where they come from, and more importantly, what does it sound like at those SPLs?

If you simply want loud, then run a piece of metal through a table saw.

Just because a loudspeaker can produce a particular SPL, does not mean you want to listen to it at that SPL.

This is where side by side testing is important, but is often hard to do.

The "simple numbers" can get you in trouble if you are not careful.

Agree wholeheartedly !

But can't say I understand your caveat about simple numbers, at least in the context of the boxes proposed as upgrades to the SM80.

I do think every box mentioned is probably a sonic upgrade to the SM80, and throughout the SM80's bandwidth at least.

Whether or not the other commercial boxes suggested can pull the numbers they claim, I dunno....I haven't heard the two I suggested....
but looking at the T24N's engineering/drivers used, and Production Partner review, it's a long way from 'metal through a table saw'  ;)  https://www.twaudio.de/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/TW_AUDiO_T24N_Tests_Production_Partner_Reprint_T24N_EN.pdf
Ditto to the Seeburg engineeering/drivers used ....

I have the JTR 3TX and the PM 90 & 60.
I don't have an SM-80, but have experience with it and the SH-69.

I can look at the 3TX continuous SPL spec of 133dB, and know from the drivers used it simply can't match a SH96HO, numbers be damned.
So I have to move it closer to an SM-80 than to a SH96HO, in terms of SPL.
My guess, again from an engineering/driver's used perspective, is the 3TX is very likely noticeably cleaner sounding than the SM80, and probably a little louder..at least through the SM80's higher than is usual low-cutoff.

I also know for certain the PM90 & 60 are a lot stronger and a bit cleaner than the 3TX, from many hours of direct comparison.
The TW Audio and Seeburg boxes look to share the same pedigree as Peter's design..

In my mind the 3 boxes I submitted aren't about simple SPL numbers...but hopefully real world, quality throughout intended bandwidth, SPL gain..
I added comments about the 3TX, since I have direct experience there, and as good and clean it is, I can't see it in the SPL league of the other mentioned boxes.

Jeremy Young

• Brown Bear Sound
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2018, 07:36:28 PM »

Random question: do you need more SPL at the back, or at the front? 

If the answer is the back, would a second pair of SM80's as delays suit your needs?  It would certainly simplify the logistics in the upgrade (still a S.O.S.O.S. AKA speaker-on-stick-on-steroids) with the same voicing as your mains.  Won't do anything to make things louder at the front through, and not suited to all venue shapes and sizes.
Brown Bear Sound
Victoria BC Canada
Live Events - Life Events - Corporate Events

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2018, 07:36:28 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.