ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Porta Church System  (Read 6729 times)

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
Re: Porta Church System
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2018, 06:30:02 PM »

If you use the AR2412 stage box, you can do wired IEMs for much cheaper. The 12 outputs will give you 5 stereo mixes + LR. An multi-channel headphone amp and some 25' extenders and you're set. Musicians can use their own ears or you can buy some cans for those that don't. That setup is much cheaper than wireless IEMs and potentially even cheaper than wedges. You'll just need an experienced mixing engineer to do IEM mixes well.

Edit: And you can optionally let the band mix themselves via phone or tablet apps.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2018, 07:16:01 PM »

If you use the AR2412 stage box, you can do wired IEMs for much cheaper. The 12 outputs will give you 5 stereo mixes + LR. An multi-channel headphone amp and some 25' extenders and you're set. Musicians can use their own ears or you can buy some cans for those that don't. That setup is much cheaper than wireless IEMs and potentially even cheaper than wedges. You'll just need an experienced mixing engineer to do IEM mixes well.

Edit: And you can optionally let the band mix themselves via phone or tablet apps.

Yep the Allen Heath Q You app works great for that and it's available for both Apple and Android.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2018, 12:21:06 PM »

Where are you located? There are numerous and multitude of people willing to design, implement, and train you on these types of systems.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2018, 02:03:28 PM »

I would also invest in some pipe and drape to put up in front of the windows if that's where your are
always going to set, it will help the sound and everyone in the congregation will not be looking into the bright sun shining in the windows.

I get that you're facing the glass wall because that's where the architect of the school decided to put the screen.

But, even with pipe and drape, you still have an awful contrast problem between the lighting outside and the lighting inside and the brightness (dimness?) of the screen. It has to be fatiguing to sit there trying to watch the stage when your eyes can't properly adjust to a single lighting level. It's enough to make one wonder, "what were they thinking?"

I might still suggest pipe and drape (HEAVY drape, fire retardent of course, and not blocking egress) to control audio reflections off the glass wall, but have you considered turning the whole thing around or even 90 degrees left or right so the audience isn't facing the windows? Turning sideways could help with some of the reflection problem, too.

Acoustic solutions are almost always superior to electronic solutions.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 02:08:30 PM by Jonathan Johnson »
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Simon_Barrett

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2018, 03:33:29 PM »

^^^ THIS!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2018, 09:56:58 PM »

I get that you're facing the glass wall because that's where the architect of the school decided to put the screen.

But, even with pipe and drape, you still have an awful contrast problem between the lighting outside and the lighting inside and the brightness (dimness?) of the screen. It has to be fatiguing to sit there trying to watch the stage when your eyes can't properly adjust to a single lighting level. It's enough to make one wonder, "what were they thinking?"

I might still suggest pipe and drape (HEAVY drape, fire retardent of course, and not blocking egress) to control audio reflections off the glass wall, but have you considered turning the whole thing around or even 90 degrees left or right so the audience isn't facing the windows? Turning sideways could help with some of the reflection problem, too.

I'm not thrilled about having the glass wall at the back either from an audio reflection standpoint.
Steve Swaffer

Fred Dorado

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2018, 12:08:00 PM »

Thanks. I think when they tried it before, they did use cheap headsets.

It is possible to do a "house" mic in portable setup to get congregation into in ears?

Most likely we will bring someone in to help with some training. 

One way of addressing in-ear-itis is to schedule a long tech rehearsal day to work through in-ear issues.  There's no doubt that it's an adjustment, but IMO now is a great time to try to tackle this, since you have other changes going on, and you can make the case for why they would be helpful now - less gear to lug, greatly reduced stage volume in the new room, etc.

Coaching them on how to communicate what they need may help a lot, too, as well as soloing their mixes to see what's going on.  I've found that even learning what to ask for in the in-ear mix is a skill that has to be learned.  Make sure people have musician-style isolating buds and not the typical iPhone-style buds.  That makes all the difference.

Younger folks will likely be more open to this than older folks.  Good luck - it really is worth it from many angles.

A few other things -

I am open to the QU series, but liked the greater flexibility of the GLD and though SQ would be similar.  We are right about the 16 channel mark, depending on week. I was also thinking stagebox as an easy way to get physical faders at back and connection at front in a rolling rack.

We would be open to moving the "stage" that first picture off to the left, behind the folded tables is a raise area where you see the railing and that is an option. Several reason we chose not to do it there this time, but definitely an option. Now that you mention it, looking at pictures, it may be a better long term choice.

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2018, 02:44:13 PM »

It is possible to do a "house" mic in portable setup to get congregation into in ears?

Absolutely!  That's the rule rather than the exception.  The Ambient mic needn't be anything too fancy but, if you can afford an X-Y pair of small diaphragm condensers, all the better.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Fred Dorado

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2018, 05:31:57 PM »

An then just basically play with it until you find a placement that works? I was also wondering about one of those floor boundary mics too

Absolutely!  That's the rule rather than the exception.  The Ambient mic needn't be anything too fancy but, if you can afford an X-Y pair of small diaphragm condensers, all the better.

Dave

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2018, 06:16:46 PM »

An then just basically play with it until you find a placement that works? I was also wondering about one of those floor boundary mics too

Yes.  First try locating at your FOH console and see if it's in synch with the rest of the sends.  Or, located at Front of Stage, pointing out.

I would think boundary mics might pick up unwanted rumble and stomping of feet.  More for Flamenco Dancers than Ambient House mics.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2018, 06:16:46 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 23 queries.