ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: New LED lighting system for small amateur theatre  (Read 7265 times)

Rob Enders

New LED lighting system for small amateur theatre
« on: June 20, 2018, 02:42:36 PM »

Hi all.. I am putting together a new lighting system for a small amateur theatre. I am also an amateur lighting guy  ;) so please bear with me.

Our stage is about 40 feet wide by 18ft deep. Ceiling is quite low, only 9ft above the stage. There are two existing bars across the width of the stage. One located about 6 ft in front of the stage. The other is about 6 feet within the front of the stage. Both are located about 6" below the ceiling. We don't own the space so making modifications is limited.

Our performances are fairly low tech with sound effects but no actor mics are in use. We use SCS, Show Cue System for all the audio cues. This software does have support DMX and MIDI cues.

I have been reading forums and watching a lot of Youtube. Most info available is about DJ's and music performances.

Our budget is also limited to under 10k. I am an electronics tech by trade so can handle the installation myself. Majority of the cost will be to the fixtures and console.

I would be interested in suggestions on next steps and possible equipment selections.

Thanks
Rob

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Re: New LED lighting system for small amateur theatre
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 02:55:28 PM »

What are you doing for lights right now?
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 03:09:40 PM »

With no disrepect intended:  Do you have an understanding of the basics of theater lighting design?  That's the starting point.

Will you be able to install additional battens (pipe) further upstage?

What sort of load are the existing battens designed to hold?  Did a structural engineer sign off on the design and installation?  Once you want to hang anything over the heads of people (even actors) you need to be very sure that it is safe to do so.  The attachment of a batten to the building's load-bearing structure, not the pipe itself, is often the limiting factor.

If you can't hang things safely, it changes your design approach.

If you aren't sure about the answers, is there a local educational institution who can help you out?
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 03:15:58 PM »

Also as a professional forum you may have noticed we use our real names.  This was noted to you when you signed up.

As soon as a moderator notices your account will be locked until you supply your real name.

Thank you for your cooperation. 
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Rob Enders

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 03:23:13 PM »

What are you doing for lights right now?

Hi Tim. A local contractor rents them to us. He provides us with 12 par cans on the front bar and 4 par cans on the in stage bar plus very old dimmer rack with console.

We would like to get away from renting.

Thanks

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 03:23:25 PM »

Also as a professional forum you may have noticed we use our real names.  This was noted to you when you signed up.

As soon as a moderator notices your account will be locked until you supply your real name.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Huh? I see what looks like a real name.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2018, 03:28:49 PM »

Hi Tim. A local contractor rents them to us. He provides us with 12 par cans on the front bar and 4 par cans on the in stage bar plus very old dimmer rack with console.

We would like to get away from renting.

Thanks

Do you have some type of a budget?

The other questions about rigging, engineer certifications, design competency, etc are all valid, but realistically you are already hanging lights overhead and you are not likely to stop doing it now, so I am going to remove myself from the liabilty portion of this conversation and just concern myself with the lighting portion.

So, whats the budget?

Rob Enders

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2018, 03:30:36 PM »

With no disrepect intended:  Do you have an understanding of the basics of theater lighting design?  That's the starting point.

Will you be able to install additional battens (pipe) further upstage?

What sort of load are the existing battens designed to hold?  Did a structural engineer sign off on the design and installation?  Once you want to hang anything over the heads of people (even actors) you need to be very sure that it is safe to do so.  The attachment of a batten to the building's load-bearing structure, not the pipe itself, is often the limiting factor.

If you can't hang things safely, it changes your design approach.

If you aren't sure about the answers, is there a local educational institution who can help you out?

No disrespect taken.  The existing bars are permanently attached to the rafters above the ceiling.. They have been used for many years with very old and heavy incandescent lighting rigs.

I am learning as I go..

Appreciate any advice given..

Regards,
Rob

Rob Enders

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2018, 03:31:13 PM »

Huh? I see what looks like a real name.
lol

Rob Enders

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2018, 03:33:44 PM »

Do you have some type of a budget?

The other questions about rigging, engineer certifications, design competency, etc are all valid, but realistically you are already hanging lights overhead and you are not likely to stop doing it now, so I am going to remove myself from the liabilty portion of this conversation and just concern myself with the lighting portion.

So, whats the budget?

Budget is under 10k including console.  I would like to go with LED for the flexibility.

Rob

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2018, 03:33:44 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 23 queries.