ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 10/3 SOOW Extension Cord  (Read 5767 times)

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
10/3 SOOW Extension Cord
« on: June 19, 2018, 02:23:25 PM »

I'm having a hard time finding info (search here & google) on where to get 10/3 SOOW Extension Cords.

Are people making or buying?
UL listed?
Labeled?

edit:
We checked my needs (see convo below).

Where do you buy your SOOW 10/3?

---

I want to upgrade my neon green 12awg 100ft SJTW E-cords

Saw this on the fourms at one point, nice that they label the cords for you.
SJTW - 12awg - labeled

But I wanted less voltage drop. So I was thinking of upgrading to 10awg
SJEOW - 10awg - lit end

But then I was thinking just go all the way and get SOOW. Or is SJEOW enough? (it isn't)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 04:46:41 PM by Nathan Riddle »
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Adam Kane

• Battle Creek, MI
Re: 10/3 SOOW Extension Cord
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 02:48:26 PM »

I've never seen premade cords with molded ends made with SOOW. Not saying they don't exist, but I've always just built my own because I could never find any.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 03:43:34 PM »

I've never seen premade cords with molded ends made with SOOW. Not saying they don't exist, but I've always just built my own because I could never find any.

Thanks, glad to have a confirmation on that. Got a source for SOOW cable & nema connectors you like?

Can a handmade cord be UL listed?

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 03:49:45 PM »

Thanks, glad to have a confirmation on that. Got a source for SOOW cable & nema connectors you like?

I order all my s(j)oow cable from my local electrical supply house (Viking Electric).  They cut to length and deliver next day at no additional cost.  It’s pretty awesome.  When you factor in labor it’s waaaaay cheaper than Home Depot.

I don’t believe shop made cables can be listed.  The UL listing is for the whole assembly.  I suppose you could send them in to UL for testing....

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 04:06:05 PM »

I don’t believe shop made cables can be listed.  The UL listing is for the whole assembly.  I suppose you could send them in to UL for testing....

In that case my next question is UL listed SJTW or SJEOW cable better than SOOW cable for entertainment industry?

Specifically for me needs, I'm not being inspected by any AHJ and don't expect to be anytime soon.

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 04:33:25 PM »

My understanding of the NEC (I'm not an electrician) is that SO is required by the NEC for on-stage use. SJ is allowed if protected by a raceway or is not otherwise "on the deck."  To minimze inventory, I have SO for just about everywhere, even overhead lighting. I doubt I'll ever get a visit from my AHJ, but I want to do the right thing (and follow industry standards.)  YMMV, local codes may be different, etc.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2018, 04:41:49 PM »

My understanding of the NEC (I'm not an electrician) is that SO is required by the NEC for on-stage use. SJ is allowed if protected by a raceway or is not otherwise "on the deck."  To minimze inventory, I have SO for just about everywhere, even overhead lighting. I doubt I'll ever get a visit from my AHJ, but I want to do the right thing (and follow industry standards.)  YMMV, local codes may be different, etc.

That's my understanding as well.

I take it you bought a/multiple 1000ft rolls of SOOW and NEMA ends and created your own cords then?

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2018, 06:30:05 PM »

That's my understanding as well.

I take it you bought a/multiple 1000ft rolls of SOOW and NEMA ends and created your own cords then?

Not exactly. As a small-time operator, I have bought up to 250' at a time, but not a 1000' spool. I usually buy all black Leviton NEMA 5-15 ends in lots of 10. I also make NEMA - powerCon cords in batches. If I was smarter (or better capitalized) I'm sure that I could have saved some money buying a 1000' spool. (Although the weight and size of a 1000' spool might have done me in before I got anything built.)
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2018, 07:08:17 PM »

Hi Nathan - You have a Graybar in town.  I buy a ton of Cat cable and stuff from them so we get a good discount.  I can order a 1000' spool and you can pickup at will call saving the shipping. 

I also agree on the Leviton plugs and sockets.  If you are in the mood to spend money I would seriously look at putting the OA Winsor boxes on the end. I wish I did.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2018, 07:51:13 PM »

Hi Nathan - You have a Graybar in town.  I buy a ton of Cat cable and stuff from them so we get a good discount.  I can order a 1000' spool and you can pickup at will call saving the shipping. 

I also agree on the Leviton plugs and sockets.  If you are in the mood to spend money I would seriously look at putting the OA Winsor boxes on the end. I wish I did.

Graybar? Never heard of them.

They're in Panamacity and Pensacola both are about 1hr away.

That'd be great. I can't afford 1000' roll right now. Only need 3x 100ft 10awg cords for most of my needs. 500' would be good though. (That way I can afford OA Windsor :p I'll probably just make 3x 100ft cords to start.

Thanks

Pretty good price too $1.28/ft for 250ft roll. I don't understand why the 500ft roll is more?

https://www.graybar.com/store/en/gb/soow-black-portable-cord-cable#{Conductor%20Size:10%20AWG}

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2018, 07:51:13 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 25 queries.