ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Nexo PS10R2 Vs L'acoustics Help  (Read 11195 times)

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
Re: Nexo PS10R2 Vs L'acoustics Help
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2018, 02:07:33 PM »

I also have run on the db Y10P's and they are very impressive.

While not from the two options originally presented, I'll will second this suggestion. We send out Y10P/V-Sub/D20 systems regularly and are continually impressed with the performance. Definitely worth a look.

Tom Harrison

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2018, 02:58:42 PM »

I have used the L'Acoustics X12 and they are a warm sweet sounding box. I have only ever heard one PS10 and it did not have any of its amplification and processing and I was thoroughly disappointed. It sounded really bad in fact and required a fair amount of work to make it sound acceptable. If it requires anywhere near as much work as it took me to get it somewhere, then it couldn't possibly be that great of a speaker.

The L' Acoustics stuff I have used has always been really nice and never disappointed. I have heard a couple different Nexo units ( not many in my area ) and was never super happy. I had a Nexo Alpha rig in one venue I came to manage, and when I replaced it with the JBL SRX stuff, it was an immediate improvement in quality of sound. However, I do feel that the Nexo rig was poorly deployed and was really not the correct solution for the venue, not so much that it was a bad sounding system. It is very difficult to beat L'Acoustics and D&B Audiotechnik. They are the upper echelon after all. While Nexo, RCF, QSC and a few others are in that market, they just aren't the same caliber.

Luke,
Did you listen to them in a monitor set up or FOH? Any issues with throw or off axis performance? I'm using this set up for short throw applications but some people reported that coaxial speakers sound great standing right before them but not so much if moving back some 20-30ft.

Tom Harrison

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2018, 03:03:13 PM »

I am not sure how you narrowed your search down to those 2 systems, but, if sound quality is your only criteria and powered boxes are an option, I suggest you listen to Fulcrum Acoustics FA22AC and TS215AC.  This is the sweetest small point source system I have ever heard.

I've heard great things about the Fulcrum guys but not sure if I can demo them in Phoenix. Too bad none of these prestige brands are available in the store for shootouts. Do you think they can have an edge over the L'acoustics coaxial or about the same and it's coming down to preference and workflow?

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2018, 04:49:59 PM »

The X12 was both in front fill and in monitor applications. The PS10 was for a fill application. I own a pair of RCF NX12SMA's also for comparison ( which I think sound really good ). The X12 was fine at all standard listening positions. The PS10 just sounded meh no matter where I was. The NX12SMA sounds sweet and full at all typical listening positions as well.

I don't really believe that coaxial's are only good at near field applications. I think its because most are conical narrow coverage designs, that lend them more to near field / fill and monitor type use. Off axis of any speaker yields poor performance and I don't think that coaxial designs are any more susceptible to it. If you point the speaker where it is intended to work and the listener is in that coverage area, all should be fine.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Aisle 6

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2018, 05:05:16 PM »

I am not sure how you narrowed your search down to those 2 systems, but, if sound quality is your only criteria and powered boxes are an option, I suggest you listen to Fulcrum Acoustics FA22AC and TS215AC.  This is the sweetest small point source system I have ever heard.

I agree Steve. There are plenty of options out there that would rival those two options. Out of both of these I would take the L'Acoustics, but I agree that the Fulcrum Acoustics FA22C is a great box and I would add to this KV2 Audio EX10, Adamson S10P or even the Adamson Point series full stop. Plenty to choose from.

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2018, 06:51:31 PM »

ks audio session

And my all time favourite 10" top:  Kling&Freitag CA 1001.

Regarding your options: l'acoustics. No contest. Just don't get them in the running pooh color.

Tom Harrison

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2018, 02:56:18 AM »

While not from the two options originally presented, I'll will second this suggestion. We send out Y10P/V-Sub/D20 systems regularly and are continually impressed with the performance. Definitely worth a look.

I've not heard the Y series. How do you think it compares directly to the X12? Or would the V series be a step up?

Roland Clarke

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2018, 07:52:33 AM »

I echo the above comments on Nexo, a bit long in the tooth these days and there are better options at this price.  The kv2 ex12’s are a great option at reasonable prices, however, they may not be easily obtainable where you are.  DB audiotechnik Y series are great as are the V, but V is a lot more money.  Fulcrum boxes have a great reputation and though I’ve never heard them personally a lot of people I respect rate them and I’ve never heard anything but good comments suggesting that they are among the best small point source boxes out there.  I’ve heard many good L’acoutic systems, but they are not my personal favourites, I always find that they sound very good, but I don’t get excited about them, make of that what you will.

Good luck!

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2018, 09:59:43 AM »

I've not heard the Y series. How do you think it compares directly to the X12? Or would the V series be a step up?

Can't speak to the X12 as I have not used it, however for the size and weight, the Y boxes have fantastic output and sound quality. We use them as mains for corporate events, DJs, etc and as front fill/out fill/side fill boxes with our V-rig for bigger shows. V is a step up in output, but also cost, weight and size. Both Y and V are passive boxes which greatly helps shrink your amp rack down. Like all d&b boxes, they are voiced similarly with the primary difference being LF extension.

Brad Harris

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2018, 11:24:49 AM »

The other thing for the X12 is the amp control with LA Network Manager, (soon to be) 4 FIR filters (fixed), 8 EQ filters, and the array morphing and gain/delay ...

Slightly overkill for just a speaker/sub on a 'stick' combo, but as long as your happy with how far the throw is in the environments you use it in, it's a killer small PA.

Brad

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2018, 11:24:49 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.