ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Nexo PS10R2 Vs L'acoustics Help  (Read 11199 times)

Tom Harrison

Nexo PS10R2 Vs L'acoustics Help
« on: June 17, 2018, 08:26:06 PM »

Hi everybody
I'm a newly registered member but have been following the forum for a while. I need a pair of speakers and a pair of subs for small live and corporate event. Mainly for music playback and vocal with acoustics or soundtrack. Will be playing around 100dB or less so overall SPL doesn't matter. Weight and costs are also not a factor as we're not going to expand this system. The main criteria is sound quality and nothing else, must have liquid smooth and warm midrange for vocal and smooth high end. I'd like to hear your experience/opinion before I attempt to demo these. A lot of local distributors don't carry both brands. So here it is:

Nexo PS10R2 + LS600 + the brand new/refreshed amp NXAMP4X2MK2 (now 1200 watts 8 ohms instead of 1000 in the older model)
Vs
L'Acoustics X12 + SB18 + LA-4X amp

They're different sizes and it's not going to be a fair fight but I'm looking for that haunting realism, open, and smooth sound. Can Nexo come close to the coherent coaxial design? I can get either systems for about the same price zone so sound quality is the only thing being considered here.  Thanks!

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Nexo PS10R2 Vs L'acoustics Help
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 10:27:33 PM »

Hi everybody
I'm a newly registered member but have been following the forum for a while. I need a pair of speakers and a pair of subs for small live and corporate event. Mainly for music playback and vocal with acoustics or soundtrack. Will be playing around 100dB or less so overall SPL doesn't matter. Weight and costs are also not a factor as we're not going to expand this system. The main criteria is sound quality and nothing else, must have liquid smooth and warm midrange for vocal and smooth high end. I'd like to hear your experience/opinion before I attempt to demo these. A lot of local distributors don't carry both brands. So here it is:

Nexo PS10R2 + LS600 + the brand new/refreshed amp NXAMP4X2MK2 (now 1200 watts 8 ohms instead of 1000 in the older model)
Vs

They're different sizes and it's not going to be a fair fight but I'm looking for that haunting realism, open, and smooth sound. Can Nexo come close to the coherent coaxial design? I can get either systems for about the same price zone so sound quality is the only thing being considered here.  Thanks!

IMHO the L'Acoustics is in another league from the Nexo.  I have to be honest with you, we have a provider in town with deep Nexo inventory.  I have run the original PS10's and I thing the Yamaha DSR112's sound much better.

I have never heard the X12's or the SB18 but the SB28's never fail to impress.  Especially with 3 or 4 Kara's stacked on top.  I know the hatred for ground stacked LA elements but that is a damn fine system.

If you are looking for a wonderful pole mount speaker I would expand your selection set and look at the Danley SM80's.  I also have run on the db Y10P's and they are very impressive.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

(Brian) Frost

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 12:31:02 AM »

I am very much a nexo fan and have owned both generations of the PS10 cabinet and used about every box they have made.  Theyre great.  Theyre not even close to as good as the L'acoustics.  I think the L'acoustics are the second best box made right behind the D&B V series.   

Tom Harrison

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 12:38:49 AM »

IMHO the L'Acoustics is in another league from the Nexo.  I have to be honest with you, we have a provider in town with deep Nexo inventory.  I have run the original PS10's and I thing the Yamaha DSR112's sound much better.

I have never heard the X12's or the SB18 but the SB28's never fail to impress.  Especially with 3 or 4 Kara's stacked on top.  I know the hatred for ground stacked LA elements but that is a damn fine system.

If you are looking for a wonderful pole mount speaker I would expand your selection set and look at the Danley SM80's.  I also have run on the db Y10P's and they are very impressive.

Thanks for your input, Scott. What didnt you like about the Nexo? Do they sound "hard/crystalline" and or tinny/shouty or something else? I've heard some sound samples and it sounded a little rough around 2khz. Maybe some people call it presence but I like liquid smooth in this range much like the L'Acoustics. The Kara with SB28 and LA-12X amps are ridiculous good they should be banned LOL. The quotes I'm getting from dealers have the Y series significantly more expensive than the Nexo and L'Acoustics so I don't know if it makes any financial sense right now.

Scott Hofmann

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 08:34:08 AM »

Take a look at the SLS point source boxes at:
https://www.dolby.com/us/en/professional/sls-pro-audio/point-source-speakers.html

They meet your description......."Will be playing around 100dB or less so overall SPL doesn't matter. Weight and costs are also not a factor as we're not going to expand this system. The main criteria is sound quality and nothing else, must have liquid smooth and warm midrange for vocal and smooth high end"
Scott Hofmann

scottstephens

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2018, 09:22:57 AM »

Tom,

I've used the NEXO stuff quite a few times as a local hall has them installed. I've always been UNDERWHELMED. They just seem to lack "presence". It's a well done install with NEXO amps, but I think they are just lacking lacking something. For what ever that is worth.

When we do something there we always take in some SRX subs and some different front fills to make things come alive. I also think the the L-acoustics are MUCH better.

Scott

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2018, 12:16:55 PM »

Will be playing around 100dB or less so overall SPL doesn't matter.
At what distance do you want 100dB?  Is that A or C, fast or slow?

Don't forget to add about 15dB for headroom when looking at specs.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2018, 12:45:47 PM »

I have used the L'Acoustics X12 and they are a warm sweet sounding box. I have only ever heard one PS10 and it did not have any of its amplification and processing and I was thoroughly disappointed. It sounded really bad in fact and required a fair amount of work to make it sound acceptable. If it requires anywhere near as much work as it took me to get it somewhere, then it couldn't possibly be that great of a speaker.

The L' Acoustics stuff I have used has always been really nice and never disappointed. I have heard a couple different Nexo units ( not many in my area ) and was never super happy. I had a Nexo Alpha rig in one venue I came to manage, and when I replaced it with the JBL SRX stuff, it was an immediate improvement in quality of sound. However, I do feel that the Nexo rig was poorly deployed and was really not the correct solution for the venue, not so much that it was a bad sounding system. It is very difficult to beat L'Acoustics and D&B Audiotechnik. They are the upper echelon after all. While Nexo, RCF, QSC and a few others are in that market, they just aren't the same caliber.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2018, 01:51:03 PM »

The Nexo PS series is getting a bit long in the tooth and for the l'Acoustic to sound subjectively better is not a surprise.

"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Steve Payne

• Soundworks of Virginia, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2018, 01:55:25 PM »

Hi everybody

Vs

I am not sure how you narrowed your search down to those 2 systems, but, if sound quality is your only criteria and powered boxes are an option, I suggest you listen to Fulcrum Acoustics FA22AC and TS215AC.  This is the sweetest small point source system I have ever heard.
Steve Payne
like us on Facebook at:
https://www.facebook.com/SOUNDWORKSOFVIRGINIA

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2018, 01:55:25 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 23 queries.