ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Love my DSR's  (Read 8800 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Love my DSR's
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2018, 06:51:02 PM »

I have heard a speaker I liked better though.  If you have the cash ..... and the muscle to move them, the MEYER UPA1P is a very sweet sounding powered box ;)  If I win the lottery .... man .... I am all over that setup :)

And if I won the Lotto, the press conference would be on Mackie Thuds with counterfeit SM58s on the lectern...  Ah, the irony. ;)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2018, 06:59:41 PM »

I was an early adopter (even before Debbie ;) ).  I A/B'd them in the store with a bunch of speakers.  To my ear, they simply were unequaled in output and sound quality.

Yep - full props to you Scott..... I bought mine partly based on some of your posts here and can't thank you enough.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Ed Hall

• Classic LAB
  • Lansdale, PA
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2018, 07:19:15 PM »

And if I won the Lotto, the press conference would be on Mackie Thuds with counterfeit SM58s on the lectern...  Ah, the irony. ;)
Didn’t you mean podium? 🤣
I can't change reality just because you don't like it!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2018, 07:58:27 PM »

Didn’t you mean podium? 🤣

Nope.  8)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Scott Bolt

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2018, 09:06:56 PM »

LOL.

Indeed ;)

Scott Bolt

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2018, 09:13:27 PM »

Yep - full props to you Scott..... I bought mine partly based on some of your posts here and can't thank you enough.
I may have been one of the first, but you were definitely the more influential.  Everyone here knows you and your business and respects your opinion.

In a way it is sad ....

I spent many years learning about cross-overs, phase alignment, comb-filtering, power amp ratings, limiters, etc, etc, etc .... and now anyone with a little cash can simply buy really great sound with a good set of powered speakers!

So now I have nothing to look forward to while I sit here with my powered speakers, digital mixer, and Kemper profiling amp.  Everything sets up in 30 min, and sounds great all night in pretty much any venue I play.

What on Earth will become of my GAS? ;)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2018, 09:36:43 PM »

I may have been one of the first, but you were definitely the more influential.  Everyone here knows you and your business and respects your opinion.

Aaaah shucks.... you big 'ole softy ;D
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2018, 09:53:47 PM »

I spent many years learning about cross-overs, phase alignment, comb-filtering, power amp ratings, limiters, etc, etc, etc .... and now anyone with a little cash can simply buy really great sound with a good set of powered speakers!

"If bad sound were fatal audio would be a leading cause of death."  - Don Davis, author of Sound System Engineering, formerly of Altec-Lansing and credited with contributions to the graphic EQ and RTA.  Quotation is approximation... ;)

It's a great time to be in audio; the products are better than ever.  Why does so much live audio suck?  Not just at the Lounge level but even in the more lofty circles?

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2018, 10:25:00 PM »

"If bad sound were fatal audio would be a leading cause of death."  - Don Davis, author of Sound System Engineering, formerly of Altec-Lansing and credited with contributions to the graphic EQ and RTA.  Quotation is approximation... ;)

It's a great time to be in audio; the products are better than ever.  Why does so much live audio suck?  Not just at the Lounge level but even in the more lofty circles?

I have seen sound guys 'fight' what would give them a half decent sound if they just left well alone. They will take an EQ and make such drastic stupid changes, they'll set compression at ridiculous levels so much that all the live is strangled out of it.
You can give someone the tools to work with - even start them out with half decent presets from the factory but give then 5 minutes and they'll screw it up. It's like they have all those knobs and buttons and cool faders so they gotta use them as much as possible. They also tend to listen with their eyes instead of their ears.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2018, 11:00:08 PM »

I have seen sound guys 'fight' what would give them a half decent sound if they just left well alone. They will take an EQ and make such drastic stupid changes, they'll set compression at ridiculous levels so much that all the live is strangled out of it.
You can give someone the tools to work with - even start them out with half decent presets from the factory but give then 5 minutes and they'll screw it up. It's like they have all those knobs and buttons and cool faders so they gotta use them as much as possible. They also tend to listen with their eyes instead of their ears.

I think you're right and I'll add that I think a fundamental problem is that too many mixerpersons don't know how things are supposed to sound - they don't have the critical listening experiences to develop their "ears" - whether it's individual inputs or the resulting mix or the 3-eyed combination of both. ;)

I think it was LABster Andy Peters who said the best thing a sound mixer could own was a large and broad record collection. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2018, 11:00:08 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 24 queries.