ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha EAD10 - fun new toy for drums.  (Read 8191 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: Yamaha EAD10 - fun new toy for drums.
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2018, 06:56:33 PM »

I watched the video from the link you provided and I'm still trying to wrap my head around this thing.

It slices, it dices, it makes mounds of Julienne fries!

My conclusion is that I'm not the target market for this device but it does enough stuff that for a drummer with ~$450 to spend on drum toys, this might be a cool little box.  The internal bass drum sensor, 3 more sensor inputs and some recognizable sampled sounds; the stereo micing of the acoustic kit; the FX; and what seems to be the ability to filter out the acoustic kit and replace with samples - am I getting that right or do I need to watch the video again?

That's a lot of stuff for under $500.

That is basically it in a nutshell Tim.
For less than $500 these days, you can't get much and when something comes along that does so much for so little and quite well too, it is refreshing.
My biggest surprise was how good the mics sound and for the money, that alone is almost worth it. Its just a cool thingamajig and appeals to the drum nerd side of me I suppose.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2018, 07:03:13 PM »

I need more cowbell...

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2018, 07:46:44 PM »

I need more cowbell...

Ironically the drummer had to move his cowbell and wasn't happy... drummers are so set in their ways....
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2018, 08:02:02 PM »

Ironically the drummer had to move his cowbell and wasn't happy... drummers are so set in their ways....

But did he leave his cow in the same place?  An udder disaster, waiting to happen...

Yes, I'll milk this for all it's worth but I'll only use the creme de la creme of puns.

I'll be a Mooooving experience, I assure you.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2018, 08:13:31 PM »

But did he leave his cow in the same place?  An udder disaster, waiting to happen...

Yes, I'll milk this for all it's worth but I'll only use the creme de la creme of puns.

Reaching the "tipping" point for me ;^)..

Scott Bower

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2018, 08:36:10 PM »

I watched the video from the link you provided and I'm still trying to wrap my head around this thing.

It slices, it dices, it makes mounds of Julienne fries!

My conclusion is that I'm not the target market for this device but it does enough stuff that for a drummer with ~$450 to spend on drum toys, this might be a cool little box.  The internal bass drum sensor, 3 more sensor inputs and some recognizable sampled sounds; the stereo micing of the acoustic kit; the FX; and what seems to be the ability to filter out the acoustic kit and replace with samples - am I getting that right or do I need to watch the video again?

That's a lot of stuff for under $500.
I worked with a drummer last week that was trying out one of these. The kick is triggered through the clamp and there are 2 microphones. I was surprised how well it picked up all the toms and cymbals. He had the optional snare trigger also. We didn't have time to set up a decent stereo mix so I took a mono out into a di. I threw a D6 on the kick just to be safe and added a little live kick to the mix.
We only had time to check out a couple of the programs but it appears there are many sounds to choose from. There is a slight difference in gain between some of the programs so try all at sound check to eliminate unpleasant surprises.
The mics are very sensitive and pick up other ambient sound like the drummer talking, I may try gating the channel next time.
This could be a real time saver if the drummer has it together at his end. By the way, he was on ears so he took a feed from the processer and mixed it with the feed from my board.

Lee Douglas

• 47.662615, -116.756954
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2018, 08:58:43 PM »

So are feedback, both squeals and resonate drum heads, still a potential issue with this system?
This space for rent

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2018, 09:15:41 PM »

I watched some U-Tube vijeos and I still can't get what its real purpose is. There was one guy who had a live band mix that was supposedly just the EAD unit and it had a crap ton of kick ( I assume sampled ) and essentially an ambient drum mic sound for the rest. The snare and all sounded ok, but it was not what I would call a usable live sound solution if what he had was pumped out the PA. There was a faint amount of reverb that the head unit was producing, but other than that, it was just a stereo mic with a kick trigger. You could hear the rest of the band in the mix. So while it may not be any worse than a typical overhead setup, it wasn't better.

My fear for a drummer using it to practice is how out of control they could get. To beat the acoustic level of the drums you would have to turn it up a little bit and for simply FX and playback with a track, for a heck of a lot less than $600 I could build a system to do just that. Still not sold. What I would be interested in is a version of this that is all in one, controlled remotely ( via a phone app ) that could send three channels of audio to get kick and a stereo ambient feed. This would make a great solution for small quick in and quick out, low profile type gigs.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2018, 09:18:23 PM »

It behooves me to boo at these ruminated memes.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 09:38:59 PM by Geert Friedhof »

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2018, 09:30:00 PM »

So are feedback, both squeals and resonate drum heads, still a potential issue with this system?
All but the guitar player are iem - no feedback whatsoever.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2018, 09:30:00 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 24 queries.